Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
terryh

baked potatoes are given a bad rep

First off i believe a baked potato will not break you out...atleast for me i seen no correlation. but ill explain why a potato isnt bad for acne

The fibers in baked potato (w/ skin) is pectin. Pectic is a type a fiber that makes a lining in the gut by doing so it slows the sugar absorbtion in the gut.(also good for diabetics)...which many people are not eating because the high GI...with this said a potato is high in calories around 220 calories.... this doesnt mean you have to eat the whole potato in one meal. But atleast you will be getting one of the most nutritious veggies

and now ill show you how nutritious a baked potato is

calories 220

protein - 4.7 g

carbs - 51 g

the fiber w/skin is has as much fiber as 1/3 serving of oat bran

fat - 0.2 g

vit C - 43% RDA

B6 - 35%

Iron - 28% (fairly well absorbed since the vit C)

potassium - 23%

niacin - 18%

magnesium - 16%

thiamine - 15%

Folate - 11%

ofcourse dont add junk to your potato. well hope this helps

First off i believe a baked potato will not break you out...atleast for me i seen no correlation. but ill explain why a potato isnt bad for acne

The fibers in baked potato (w/ skin) is pectin. Pectic is a type a fiber that makes a lining in the gut by doing so it slows the sugar absorbtion in the gut.(also good for diabetics)...which many people are not eating because the high GI...with this said a potato is high in calories around 220 calories.... this doesnt mean you have to eat the whole potato in one meal. But atleast you will be getting one of the most nutritious veggies

and now ill show you how nutritious a baked potato is

calories 220

protein - 4.7 g

carbs - 51 g

the fiber w/skin is has as much fiber as 1/3 serving of oat bran

fat - 0.2 g

vit C - 43% RDA

B6 - 35%

Iron - 28% (fairly well absorbed since the vit C)

potassium - 23%

niacin - 18%

magnesium - 16%

thiamine - 15%

Folate - 11%

ofcourse dont add junk to your potato. well hope this helps

This is sooooooooooo weird, I am baking a potato now, and went online just to see what's new on the message board, and VOILA (is that how you spell it?) Whola!? .. anyway, this board!!

Sorry, but I don't believe the skin on a potato will significantly lower the GI. I think the extraordinarily high GI of a baked potato includes the skin, so it's a moot point. I suggest putting a pat of butter on it to help slow down the absorption. Makes it TASTY, too! ;)

Bryan

well fat will lower the GI some..which i think you should eat some type of fatty foods with potatoes. also considering that the fibers decrease fat absorbtion

as for the skin making the GI higher I have found nothing that says that. All ive read is thats where alot of nutrition is and where most of the fiber comes from the potato.

here is a link to get a better understanding what im saying

http://library.thinkquest.org/11226/main/c03txt.htm

Starches cannot be broken down in the stomach..they are broken down in the small intestines... The soluble fiber pectin makes a lining in the gut which decreases fat absorbtion and slows sugar absorbtion after a meal. The fiber making a lining in the gut. slows down the sugar going to the small intestines. Meaning that in the duodenum and breaking down process with help from the pancreas, work at a safer pace. Thus what GI is all about correct?

Correct me if im wrong though im not a genius at this

If you eat a potato, eat the damn skins as well. It's the most nutritious part and a lot of people don't eat them(Even when baked they just go fo the middle). It's like eating an apple and throwing away the skin.

Guest Gentle~Rain

I like them w/ plain yogurt and chopped scallions, sprinkled w/garlic & pepper-yum

well fat will lower the GI some..which i think you should eat some type of fatty foods with potatoes. also considering that the fibers decrease fat absorbtion

Oh, fat will do a pretty good job at lowering the GI! It's undoubtedly the butterfat/sugar emulsion that makes the GI of ice cream so surprisingly low. And as I've mentioned a bunch of times before, fiber can slow sugar absorption, but it depends on the TYPE of fiber. Soluble fiber works, but probably not insoluble fiber.

as for the skin making the GI higher I have found nothing that says that. All ive read is thats where alot of nutrition is and where most of the fiber comes from the potato.

So you were merely speculating when you posted that originally about the skin of a potato lowering the GI? ;) If the fiber in potato skin isn't the soluble variety, then it's not going to have much effect (if any) on lowering the GI of the whole potato. Which wouldn't surprise me at all, because I believe (as I mentioned before) that the high GI of baked potatoes was already calculated WITH the inclusion of the skin; so it's a moot point.

Bryan

no bryan i didnt say it lowers GI.... im merely showing the process of what the problem of GI foods are and how the soluble fiber makes it all better by slowing the sugar absorbtion. come on man stop putting words in my mouth. common sense plug it in with math

x = potato (meat)

y = skin

z = breaking down process

x+y-z=control of the GI; does not = lowering GI (atleast not directly but same qualification to say none the less)

;)

What are you talking about?? I'm not putting words in your mouth...you said in plain English that you think the (soluble?) fiber in potato skins slows down its absorption. I'm trying to tell you that it DOESN'T. Not to any significant extent, anyway.

Bryan

ok true i get what you saying the skin is insoluble... and insoluble controls and balance of the ph(acidity) in the intestines... so it could help in that way.

thus still make my theory look half ass. since the fibers are insoluble and soluble.oh well there is still progress at eating the potato with fat. and i am pro sat fat.

My goal isto show people shouldnt avoid foods but think of ways to eat what you want and prevent outbreaks, and thanks for the clarification ;) bryan

you could get more soluble fiber with your baked potato

like i said im no genius but im bound to try ;)

Guest Gentle~Rain

eat the skins??? but its dirty!! how do u clean it?

Veggie scrubber brush (a clean fingernail brush works just as good) If it is a super dirty spud....put it in a shallow sink of warm water with a drop or two of dish soap...be sure to rinse- rinse- rinse after scrubbing ;)