Guest ilovepancakes

does long hair affect acne much

Guest ilovepancakes

My parents keep telling me to keep my hair

fairly short because if the hair brushes my face

and neck it will enflame acne.

Can this be true?

:ninja:

i guess its true cos that would be similar to touching yor face... especially if you use products on it like gel or whatever

In all seriousness every time i gte a hairtcut anf shave i have it seems like a new start i usually have a lot less acne and life sems great... except i look a lot younger with short hair so i avoid it :( sorry im aa lil tipstyyy

once i have a shave my skin feels a lot better, an i guess ur hair does affect it a bit, probably more about the products u put on it rather than how long ur hair is.

I think you might because it is recommended that you wash your hair everyday to get rid of the oil and other things that come out of these pores on your scalp. Ever heard of people telling you to put jojoba oil on your scalp? Thats because we have the same type of pores on our scalp as on our face and these pores produce sebum which can drip onto your face. Having long hair that brushes over your face could spread this sebum. Also, having short hair could prevent this build-up and cause less sweating. Makes sense doesnt it ;)

As other people have said, your hair can carry the same oils and dirt as your fingers, so it's sort of the same effect as touching your face (although less bacteria-ridden, I should think). However, I think that cutting your hair short is an extreme solution.

Just make sure that you wash your hair regularly (at least once a day), and be aware that if you use a conditioner, some formulations may exacerbate acne. (I recently switched conditioners, and noticed that I started breaking out ...as soon as I finish the bottle, I'm switching back to my old one.)

I have long, long hair. It's down my back. I used to keep it shorter but it looks so much better long. I'll never cut it short again, and especially not because of acne.

The only time I have a problem with it is in the summer time. If I sweat and it sits on my neck, I get small bumps on my neck. I imagine if I let it sit against the sides of my face it would do the same. I wear it back in the summer more often. But I wash it every day so it's clean.

I grew my hair out for 3 years in High School, I never cleaned it... just let it dread up and get nasty cause I was and still am a stoner who doesnt care about apperances. I had perfect skin before I let my hair grow out and just sit on my face all day, Never put it in a pony tail... just let a tangled mess flow all over my face. So, I believe it definitelly did cause my probelm. I cut my hair off a year or 2 ago, and have started to wash my face.... this helped alot.

I agree with what everyone else has said. Just try to keep your hair in styles that pull it away from your face, and consider how you can keep it off your face while you sleep too. Because whatever is in your hair; oil, dirt, gel, hairspray, pollen, etc. will get on your face, on your pillow, then you lay on that and possibly put your face on it.

Keep your hair clean and away from your face as much as you can, but I certainly wouldn't cut it all off.

Wear it up in a ponytail in the hotter months to keep it off your neck area too.

hey, that's a good idea, lol.

My grandma used to have a sleep cap, I think people used to wear those all the time way back when.....

My parents keep telling me to keep my hair

fairly short because if the hair brushes my face

and neck it will enflame acne.

Can this be true?

I have long hair and it's not that big of a problem.

I know that when I first got side swept bangs I'd touch them all the time and I would end up getting pimples where my fingers kept touching my forehead.

Hair is pretty dirty and if it's always in your face or you're always touching it (and in the process touching your face) it can definitely add to the acne problem.

Guest ilovepancakes

thanks for the help all

I have naturally curly hair and when I wear it curly, because of the products I put in it, I have to wash it daily. When I dry it straight, I try to go a couple days without washing it b/c it is so much time and work. I seem to break out more when I dont wash daily, and I am assuming its because of the oils on my hair. However, I have always had long hair, and the cheeks are my least area of acne and have always been.

I would say make sure you wash it every day if you can....pull your hair back at night....and change your pillow case every day. Don't keep it short just for the sake of acne, I dont think it will make a huge difference if you are doing other things to help your acne.