Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have no idea what these are but i hear it alot. Will someone please tell me what these are. thx alot

AHA is alpha hydroxy acid. Glycolic acid and Lactic acid are two types of AHAs. These are chemical exfoliants for the skin. AHAs are usually used for dry skin.

BHA is beta hydroxy acid. Salicylic acid is a type of BHA. This is a great chemical exfoliant for oily/acne prone skin.

Just to add to the previous post, BHA's are oil soluble, meaning that they can penetrate the pore and get ride of the gunk inside better than AHA's which mostly just exfoliate at the surface.

Just look for the ingredientslist on drugstore.com. Most of the time there is a special "active ingredients" list at the product description where it's mentioned. Just look for Glycolic acid, Lactic acid (the most familiar Alpha Hydroxys (most have glycolic acid)) and Salicylic Acid (by far the most famous Beta Hydroxy).

The advantage with Salicylic Acid is that about 90% of the basic acné products contain Salicylic Acid. I'm overreacting a bit here but it's handy so you know that a lot of other products could very well not work for you if a previously used salicylic acid product didn't work for you. In pretty much all products that contain Salicylic it is the main active ingredient so if this is causing too much dryness or irritation compared to the positive effects you know well to think twice before using a product with this acid again. (check for some previously used products by you so you can see if it had these ingredients)

Some more pointers:

Salicylic Acid = quite aggressive (drying, irritating)

Salicylic Acid + Benzoyl P = overly irritating for most people. They're both quite agressive.

The Eucerin Skin renewal moisturizer Dan uses contains glycol acid. He mentions that it will sting a lot if you've just started with BP or simply have sensitive skin for this stuff.

There is also a product called Alpha Hydrox lotion (Alpha Hydrox in this case is the brandname). It contains 10% Glycolic Acid if I remember correctly and again, this stuff can sting a lot and irritate.

Testing with patience before using these products properly goes up for these products just like pretty much every other product.

alright thx alot. i just started with Bp 6 days ago so im just gonna keep using differin and bp in mornings and cetaphil moisterizer and see waht happens:)

No, vitamine A acid and BP weak down eachothers effectiveness a lot. You would be much better off spreading them bigtime. What I suggest you should do is to use the vitamine A acid cream at night and the BP at the morning. This purely because of the reasoning that vitamin A acid creams make your skin more sensitive to sunlight.

I started with BP again a few weeks ago and was wondering to do vitamin A in the mornings, and BP only at night. My main trouble namely with the CSR is that it ruined so many of my clothes (while I buy nice and pretty expensive clothes to compensate for the rest ;) ).

Nevertheless it got me doubting. It has been too long ago, like 2 years, that I used a small tube of vitamin a acid gel/cream (dont remember) for me to make a clear decision. I don't even know what strength I used, I didn't know anything about this stuff 2 years ago and just did what the doctor told me.

Also, because I was thinking of using a lotion/moisturizer with AHA's it got me doubting if acid A would be a good choice. Afaik, you are also not supposed to combine acid and AHA's. I guess also not BHA's, not sure though. Acid A cream probably gives you the least options for combinations with other acne stuff.

As last I was wondering, since I forgot how my acid a was (I had Acid A-vit I think, or was it Retin-A, hehe), if the acid A isn't oily or anything. I read somewhere the important ingredients in this gel/cream have to be stabilized by oils. Of course oils are usally not something you want to put on your acné face. Obviously it's advantages outweigh the disadvantage but doesn't it kinda make it hard to put on a moisturizer?

Edit:

I just saw your latest comment showing that you very well know you shouldn't use Acid A and BP right after eachother.

Please let me know how you do it.

Just look for the ingredientslist on drugstore.com. Most of the time there is a special "active ingredients" list at the product description where it's mentioned. Just look for Glycolic acid, Lactic acid (the most familiar Alpha Hydroxys (most have glycolic acid)) and Salicylic Acid (by far the most famous Beta Hydroxy).

The advantage with Salicylic Acid is that about 90% of the basic acné products contain Salicylic Acid. I'm overreacting a bit here but it's handy so you know that a lot of other products could very well not work for you if a previously used salicylic acid product didn't work for you. In pretty much all products that contain Salicylic it is the main active ingredient so if this is causing too much dryness or irritation compared to the positive effects you know well to think twice before using a product with this acid again. (check for some previously used products by you so you can see if it had these ingredients)

Some more pointers:

Salicylic Acid = quite aggressive (drying, irritating)

Salicylic Acid + Benzoyl P = overly irritating for most people. They're both quite agressive.

The Eucerin Skin renewal moisturizer Dan uses contains glycol acid. He mentions that it will sting a lot if you've just started with BP or simply have sensitive skin for this stuff.

There is also a product called Alpha Hydrox lotion (Alpha Hydrox in this case is the brandname). It contains 10% Glycolic Acid if I remember correctly and again, this stuff can sting a lot and irritate.

Testing with patience before using these products properly goes up for these products just like pretty much every other product.

this is a very good explanation of things! But, just one little correction. Eucerin Skin Renewal contains Lactic Acid, not Glycolic Acid. It's much gentler and more hydrating to the skin.

hey lactic acid is the last ingredient on my cetaphil moisturizing cream.. is that good or bad?