Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MaryTheres

Question for all Smoothbeamers Regarding Aloe Vera

Did any of your docs saying anthing about not using aloe vera?

Longits gets n-lite and he says n-lite and smothbeamers can NOT use aloe at all. But I think my doc puts an aloe product on my skin right after the treatment (she puts a cool cloth mask soaked in some sort of product that has aloe in it on my face). So I am very confused (and very worried).

Please everyone what does you doc say? does your doc put anything on your skin after teh treatment???

Hello marytheres, i'll recommend you to write a e-mail at the page www.smoothbeam.com asking for this, they will answer you in one or two days maxium.

I write to www.usaphotonics.com and they tell me to not use aloe vera, because the laser will not work.

I use Aloe Vera (Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly) on my face all the time before and after my laser treatments. The only thing my doctors office told me was to not use any exfoliating products (AHA's, BHA's or any kind of Retin A product) for two days before my treatment.

I usually apply this Aloe Vera product before applying my makeup in the morning after washing my face.

Call the doctors office and ask if you want to be sure because someone's doctor here told her not to use any self tanner during treatment and my doctor said not to use it two weeks before treatment because it can settle in your pores and the laser won't penetrate properly.

JJP -

thanks.

That was me whose doc said not to use self tanner.

Okay so you used aloe vera and got good results, right?

longits has got me sooooo worried. I like to use aloe right from the plant. I don't use it all of the time but I do use it...

I emaled the candela co. with my question - hopefully they will be able to answer it once and for all.

I am VERY depressed, jjp, I thought I would see better results that this....

I KNOW I KNOW!!! Don't get discouraged! I did too! I hope your doctor took pictures before your treatment because this was the only way that I could tell that I actually was getting results.

If you expect to get rid of all your scars then you will be disappointed. It will only help to reduce them.

How many treatments have you had Mary? Remember that your skin will continue to produce collagen for many months after your treatment so your skin will get better and better over time.

As far as the Aloe Vera goes. I posted that it can't penetrate the skin deep enough to effect what the laser has inflamed. Remember the Aloe is a topical treatment and the SmoothBeam goes deep beneath the skin where chemicals can't penetrate. I wouldn't want Aloe on my face right before the procedure (or anything for that matter!) but I think you will be ok. Please let me know what the company says when they reply to your email!

Thanks JJP

Well the results from my last session shouldn't have kicked in yet (only got it a week ago) and that setting was on 13 and I am getting another treatment this friday so maybe I will see more results. The one on Friday will be my fifth treatment. I may ask for a sixth one though.

That's what I was thinking about the aloe vera too - that it couldn't penetrate deeply enugh to interfere with the laser. I will post candela's response when i get it.

I remember that you got a little discouraged too.... but now your happier so I 'll try to keep that in mind.

No, no pics. I guess I should have had some done - I don't have a digital camera though.

and my doc didn't do any either.

I am feeling a little better my hubby took me out for pizza and ice cream (my two favorites) to cheer me up so I feel better. I looked at my face in the MAC shop and I looked nice so ..... that helped.

See Mary! You do see improvement! What a great husband to take you out to make you feel better!! You are a lucky girl!

It sounds like your treatments are only a week apart. Wow, that is close together. Mine are spaced about 4 to 6 weeks apart. It seems like every doctor has their own way of using this laser.

Like I said, I still have good skin days and bad skin days. I still don't like the look of my face without makeup and this was a major goal of mine but I think I will have to look elsewhere to find the solution to that problem. Just keep in mind that this laser won't erase the scars but diminish them.

Just a little good news for us all:

Smooth Away Acne Lesions and Acne Scars with Smooth Beam

The Smooth Beam Laser manufactured by Candella Corporation in Wayland, MA has recently been given FDA approval for the treatment of acne lesions and acne scars. It is the first laser treatment available for these troublesome skin conditions and is proving very safe and effective. Recent studies show 98% clearance of acne lesions after 4 treatments done at one month intervals, with no recurrence after 6 months. Although the use of lasers is a new approach in treating acne, lasers have been safely used on various skin conditions for many years.

The Smooth Beam works by targeting acne’s root cause, the overactive function of the sebaceous gland. The 1450nm wavelength of laser light emitted by the Smooth Beam is highly absorbed in water, which is the dominant chromophore or target in the sebaceous gland. The laser light penetrates to a depth in the skin where the sebaceous glands are found and causes enough injury to stop the over production of sebum, thereby eliminating the acne. The outer skin is protected by a cooling spray and is not damaged during the treatment. This means there is no down time for the patient. Side effects are quite minimal and may include slight and temporary redness or swelling lasting a few hours to a few days or, in rare cases, a temporary pigmentation change.

The Smooth Beam can also be used to treat deep acne scars. Because collagen is at the same depth in skin as sebaceous glands, and is comprised of mostly water, it is also a target of the Smooth Beam. The slight dermal injury caused by the laser light stimulates the production and deposition of newly organized collagen beneath the skin resulting in significant improvement in the appearance of these scars.

Most patients can continue the use of their current acne treatments and skin regimens while undergoing treatment with Smooth Beam.

Patients will find the treatments are affordable, ranging between $150.00 and $450.00 for the face, and more for the back, depending on the size of the area.

In a study presented to The American Society of Lasers in Surgery and Medicine (ASLSM), the author of the study, Tina Alster MD states, “After a series of three monthly treatments with Smooth Beam every patient showed significant improvement- many times exceeding our expectations and easily outperforming other lasers.�

Here is some more info I found:

SmoothBeam

What is the Smoothbeam?

The Smoothbeam laser is a new, non-invasive way to treat wrinkles, acne scarring and acne.. This laser cools the skin and then delivers a laser beam which targets and heats the collagen in the upper dermis while protecting the epidermis.

What conditions does Smoothbeam treat?

Smoothbeam is FDA approved to treat wrinkles or fine lines around the eyes and acne. At Perfect Skin we are using this laser to treat acne, acne scars, and wrinkles around the eyes and mouth. The laser helps renew skin by stimulating a generation of new collagen formation in the skin.

What kind of acne does the Smoothbeam treat?

Both inflammatory and non-inflammatory acne lesions have been successfully treated. The laser has been used on the back, face and neck areas and could be used anywhere you might have acne. Acne on the back is resistant to many existing therapies.

How does Smoothbeam Acne Treatment compare to existing treatments?

There are no unusual side-effects or adverse reaction to Smoothbeam treatments. Drug therapy for the treatment of acne has a well-publicized side-effect profile. Accutane, for instance, is known to cause birth defects if one becomes pregnant while using the drug. It has also been linked to severe emotional depression. Finally, other treatments for acne cause severe drying and irritation of the skin for many patients.

How many laser treatments are required?

A series of 4 treatments are recommended to get maximum results. These are usually performed every 4 - 6 weeks. You will notice a gradual reduction in the number and severity of acne lesions over the next 3 weeks after your treatment. There will be a gradual improvement in fine lines, wrinkles, and acne scarring over the next 6- 12 months.

What does Smoothbeam feel like?

Because of the Dynamic Cooling Device (DCD), many patients report a "mild" or slight snapping and tingling sensation.

How long will the results last?

This a very new treatment, but studies have shown that acne improvement is maintained for at least 6 months to 1 year after the last laser treatment.

What precautions should I take?

Avoid sun exposure for 4 to 6 weeks before and after any laser treatment. You should not have any chemical peels or microdermabrasion treatments for one month prior to each treatment.

How will my face look after the treatment?

Risks are low with Smoothbeam. Immediately after the treatment, there will be mild redness and swelling in the area treated. This will subside in about two – twelve hours. Rarely the redness may persist for several days. Some pigmentation changes can occur with more aggressive treatment that will resolve itself over time.

Should I continue to use my acne creams and medications?

Most over the counter and prescription creams and medications can be continued during the treatment. You should stop using any Retin a containing products prior to laser treatments.

How much will it cost?

During the consultation you will be given a firm estimate. Multiple areas are eligible for discounts. Our normal charge for the full face is $1500 for 4 treatments.

Is this treatment covered by insurance?

Most insurance companies do not cover cosmetic procedures.

SmoothBeam for Acne and Acne Scarring

New medical clinical studies now show that Acne can be drastically improved with the Smoothbeamâ„¢ Laser. This treatment inhibits the formation of acne pustules.

Many individuals do not respond adequately to traditional continuous acne treatments. We can now offer treatment that treats the sebaceous glands in the dermis of your skin.

The Smoothbeamâ„¢ Laser targets these glands resulting in prolonged reduction of oil secretions on the skin. A dramatic improvement can be achieved after 4 treatments with long lasting benefits :)/

The hottest new acne treatment on the market is a laser

People suffering from acne are seeking treatments with the new Smoothbeam laserâ€â€and loving the results. Originally designed to reduce wrinkles and improve the overall appearance of the skin, it is proving to be a significant tool in the battle against acne. "It was almost an accidental discovery," says Dr. Gerry Boey of the Arbutus Laser Centre in Vancouver. "It was being used for patients with wrinkles, and the ones who had acne noticed a remarkable improvement."

Boey has been using the Smoothbeam since April of last year, and has seen significant results. "It works extremely well on the face, but where it shows the best originally was on the back. I’d estimate that most patients have a 90 per cent clearance rate after three treatments." According to Boey, this is significant because the cysts are larger and it is more difficult to take care of the back. Not only does Smoothbeam work well on acne, it is also being used to treat acne scarring. "The laser stimulates new collagen growth," explains Boey. "This causes a lifting effect on scars. The results can be as good as with laser resurfacing, but you avoid the serious downtime. You have redness for an hour or two, but that’s it. And any pain, which is usually minimal, can be controlled through topical anesthetic."

Other advantages include short treatment timeâ€â€anywhere from 10 to 30 minutesâ€â€and a fast recovery. According to Boey, patients are red on the treated area for an hour or two, and that’s all. But if you are interested in having deep wrinkles reduced, he suggests that Smoothbeam may not be the best option. "At that point, laser resurfacing or one of the injectables would be a better option." :)/

SMOOTHBEAMâ„¢ FOR ACNE

NATURE OF THE PROCEDURE

The Smoothbeam laser emits a beam of light that will alter the sebaceous glands underneath the skin. These are the glands that produce the oil that feeds the bacteria which causes subsequent inflammation. Instead of drying out the skin (Retin A and benzoyl peroxides) or killing the germs (oral antibiotics) or drying up the oil production on a short term basis (Accutane), the Smoothbeam laser actually alters these glands. Since oil production is decreased, there is no need to kill any bacteria or produce any further surface drying. The Smoothbeam laser emits the longest wavelength for this purpose, and thus penetrates to an exact level to selectively destroy these glands. This is the first FDA-approved laser available for this purpose. A reduction in lesion count may be seen immediately after the first treatment and may continue to be seen with subsequent sessions. During initial studies, even six months after the completion of therapy, there was up to 100% decrease in lesion count in some patients.

PRE-TREATMENT

None usually necessary - for three days prior to the procedure, do not use any topical acne medication. It is best to come in without make-up, but you can remove your make-up here if you need to and you can reapply it right after the procedure.

We prefer that you lay off sun tanning for a month prior. There is virtually no downtime, and you may go right back to work or your normal activities.

Do not take any oral antibiotics, antifungals, or NSAID's (Naprosyn, Advil, Aleve) on your treatment day.

If you have ever had herpes or think you may have (cold sores or fever blisters), inform Dr. Coverman or our staff prior to scheduling your appointment. We will give you a series of anti-herpes pills to take the day before the treatment, the day of, and the day after. This should help or suppress or prevent herpes from flaring, but there are no guarantees. A herpes flare could cause pain, pigment, infection, and scarring.

TREATMENT DAY

You will wear protective goggles, and then the procedure will immediately begin. You will feel a series of quick, pinprick or needle prick type of sensations that are tolerable. Dr. Coverman has had this done himself without the numbing cream. Almost immediately after the procedure, this sensation should begin to fade quickly. No other pain medicine should be necessary. Women may apply make-up

immediately and go right back to work or school.

POST-TREATMENT

Do not apply any topical acne, anti-aging, or other medicines for three days after your laser treatment. You may be a little red or inflamed, and some of these acne medicines can irritate you further. You may resume your oral medication (if any) immediately after the treatment. You may apply your make-up and go right back to work. Do not sunburn for the next week and avoid excess sun exposure for the next month.

COMPLICATIONS

The laser procedure produces a brief burst of cooling spray both before and after each laser impulse. Because the cooling spray itself could be inflammatory, and likewise the laser, complications could include temporary reddening of the treated areas. This should fade by the end of the day, and should easily be covered by make-up. It is generally not bright red, nor objectionable. Very rarely, there could be increased pigment (hyperpigmentation) in the treated areas. This would be more likely in darkly pigmented people or heavily tanned people. In the initial studies, all patients that had this complication had complete fading over a reasonable period of time. Bleaches can be used. Sunscreen protection after the treatment is always recommended.

FOLLOW-UP

Dr. Coverman may recommend that you continue some type of traditional acne therapy in addition to the Smoothbeam, although hopefully the frequency, intensity and duration can be decreased. This is not an end to your other acne therapies or treatments, just another method to help reduce its severity. On subsequent visits, Dr. Coverman will discuss how we may modify your acne treatments.

After three days, resume your prior acne treatments unless Dr. Coverman has specifically instructed you not to or otherwise modified your regimen. :)/

Benefit:

A no down time alternative to skin resurfacing, the Smoothbeam laser is used to treat conditions such as fine to moderate wrinkles (especially around the eyes and mouth), acne scarring and active acne.

How it works:

The Smoothbeam laser emits an intense beam of light that treats the underlying levels of the skin (the dermal layer) without directly affecting the top layer of the skin (the epidermis). The wavelength is absorbed in the dermis, stimulating the production of new, organized collagen-smoothing fine lines, wrinkles and mild to moderate scarring. With the technology of the patented Dynamic Cooling Device (DCD), Smoothbeam distributes heat where it is desired while providing comfort and protection of the epidermis. :D/

Best Suited For: Length of Treatment: How it Feels:

Patients looking for a non-invasive, no down time skin treatment.

Most treatments take approximately 10-15 minutes. Discomfort is minimal due to the DCD that protects and cools the epidermis. A local anaesthetic or topical cream may be applied if requested.

Downtime: Frequency Required:

Effective skin protection during the procedure means minimal downtime and side effects – most patients return to work immediately. Treatments can be spaced three to four weeks apart, with improvement being seen within six to eight weeks.

Wow Animiegirl! Thanks for all that good information. hmmmmm, interesting that it didn't say anything about aloe, if it were something that one getting smoothbeam should avoid then one of those excepts would have said so. Still, I e-mailed candela corp. questioning the use of aloe and will post their reply when I get it.

Thanks again Animie

Hi again Guys,

I also forgot to mention #-o my docs office said to increase my intake of protein ( I am a vegetarian, so it's beans and nuts for me, but meat of course is a great source), take zinc (if you don't already) and increase Vitamin C (either in fruits/veggies or supplement form...guava is a great source of vitamin C). All of these methods will increase your body's ability to heal/wound repair. Then they really stressed the additional intake of water the day of and the days following the treatment. HTH!!!

Hang in there Mary, time is your friend in this situation. I know I am going to be just as anxious 8-[ (if not more) to see results after I get started. I just keep telling myself that I am doing something, I could face another fall, another Christmas, etc :)({|= :)({|= with my skin nagging me in the back of my mind, or I could do something and know that everyday I am getting better. [-o< Ask yourself how you can enjoy the process as well as the results :-k !!! HAVE A GREAT DAY GUYS!!! :)/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/

*Misty

Hey everyone a Candela clinical nurse called me back with regard to my questions about using aloe vera in between smoothbeam treaments and my question about the safety and efficacy of getting the treatments two weeks apart. But I wasn't in when she called so she left me a message on my voicemail and she kept breaking up - I couldn't hear the message right!!! It sounded like she said there is no problem using aloe vera in between smoothbeam treatments. But because the reception was so bad I am not entirely sure. I have placed another call into her. So I will keep y'all updated.

Wow, it is great to hear that they called u back so very quickly!! I hope you heard right and the aloe won't effect the treatment! I don't want to think I wasted any money!

Yay - Hurray!

The clincial nurse called me back again and this time I talked to her in person... She said not only is it no problem to use aloe vera but that one should use it in between smoothbeam treatments, particularly right afterwards.

She also said that Tina Alster has done a study, which hasn't been published yet, on the amount of time in between smoothbeam treatments.... She said the study shows there is NO BEnefit to getting the treatments done closer together than every 3-4 weeks... In response ot my specific question, she said that getting the treatments every two weeks won't hurt but will not help either.

She said it takes three to four weeks after each treatment to see results. She said the laser injures the body and the body responds by producing collegen. She says the acne scars should not come back at all.... but there are no long term studies yet. She said something like the new collegen fibers are better organized so yes in time you will age and possibly wrinkle...but the scars will not reappear b/c the fibers are better organized...

She was very nice and also suggested that if I want to talk more with Dr. Alster I should call her. she spoke very highly of Dr. Alster for all you guys in the D.C. area.

:D/ I needed the pep talk.

Also, I have to admit.... Every day I wake up and the my newer scars (the ones I got this winter) are better... every day I see visible improvement to my new scars.. so that is great - it gets me out of bed in the morning. Unfortunately, my older scar, which I just realized this weekend is not just one scar but a whole series of little scars that I hadn't noticed before (didn't see them 'cause I never seemy self from the angle necessary to see them) isn't getting any better at all. :) I may get some extra treatments just in that particular area... Wish I could be free of these damn things!!!!

BIG SIGH OF RELIEF! Thanks so much Mary for posting the results. Great to hear that aloe is good to use! I might just go get a plant instead of the gelly I use! So are you going to wait 3 to 4 weeks inbetween treatments? I think you will get more for your money that way.

I might just go get a plant instead of the gelly I use

definitely get the plant... I really like it and dries in nicely. I need to go get a new one I think because I chopped up the one I have so much.

So are you going to wait 3 to 4 weeks inbetween treatments?

I don't know. I am torn... See, I am suppose to get my fifth (maybe last) treatment this friday - only two weeks since my last treatment. I have already asked off from work and I am going to get the treatment and then hubby and I are going away for the weekend (it's our anniversary).... sort of using the day off 'to kill two birds with one stone.' See I take the day off from work when I get the treatments because the treatments pretty much take all morning with the getting numb for an hour, the vbeam, smoothbeam and aftercare so I usually just take the day and sit around all day not putting any makeup or going out at all. But I will be rushed doing the treatments and then trying to get out of town so....

I think you will get more for your money that way.

hmmm... you think???? How so?

Should I continue to use my acne creams and medications? 

Most over the counter and prescription creams and medications can be continued during the treatment. You should stop using any Retin a containing products prior to laser treatments.

Does anyone know the details on this? Its not very clear on how long I shold stop using the retina for, before doing the smoothbeam. All I did was not use the Retina the same night after the smoothbeam, but would use it the next day. I didn't stop using it prior to the Smoothbeam. Maybe thats why my results havent been so great.

Hi Sad,

My doc advised to stop all topicals except for moisturizer, one week prior to treatment and for 3 days after. I know different people have gotten different info. I am a Renova user, and I d/c the use one week prior. Good Luck and HTH!

*Misty

Retina a wouldn't affect the results - it could cause your skin to be more sensitive and therefore you may suffer more redness hyper-pimentation irritation, etc. that's why they advise stopping any kind of aha's and other harsh topicals a certain time before treatment. The clinical nurse from Candela explained that topicals do not impede results because none of them go nearly as deep as the smoothbeam laser...