Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SuperFly

How long do antibiotics usually work for?

I heard your body will eventually become immune to antibiotics. I'm going to be starting tetracycline in a few days and I don't want to become immune to it.

Another question, has anyone here had success with tetracycline?

I'm going to be starting tetracycline in a few days and I don't want to become immune to it.

you can't control that your body will get immune to it, it's just what happends with all antibiotics

:doh: the mg will just keep getting lifted and lifted and lifted, how bad is your acne anyways ?

I took it for a few years, it worked pretty well

My acne would be what most call extremely mild. Usually 1-2 active pimples at any time on my face, but I get cystic acne on my back. It's funny though, the CSR wasn't able to clear my [face] acne in 4 months.

I have mild acne too, I'll be going on Accutane shortly, I'm sick of antibiotics. I've taken Tetracylin & Minocyclin and My body got use to them both, I kept going back to my derm and he kept uping my mg and the acne kept coming back, and it was like a never ending process :wall:

I went to my doctor and asked for Accutane. I was all nervous and stuttering and when I finally said it he just stared at me for like 10 seconds then said "where is your acne?" because I only had 3-4 spots on my face. I then told him that it can sometimes be worse and that I'd been treating it with BP, and he just acted like I was a complete idiot and ended up prescribing me tetracycline.

Doctors should never make you feel dumb for going in for something. But that's off-topic. Approximately how long can I expect tetracycline to work for?

:doh: the mg will just keep getting lifted and lifted and lifted, how bad is your acne anyways ?

I took it for a few years, it worked pretty well

I'm sure your acne came back though, right?

not nearly as bad as it used to be; it gave me enough time to figure out what was causing my acne, and to try all kinds of things to figure out the best regimen.

Approximately how long can I expect tetracycline to work for?

it should work for a year I guess, then they'll switch it to minocycline, doxycycline, and by then you'll hopefully grow out of it, or you'll figure out that food is causing it, and will control it with diet.

- The longer you are on an antibiotic, the less effective it becomes. This is because the acne-causing bacteria becomes immune to the antibiotic by mutating into “super bacteria,� making your acne worse and possibly untreatable.

:shock::shock::shock:

Why the heck would my doctor prescribe tetracycline if it's just a quick fix that will leave me worse off after a few months???

- The longer you are on an antibiotic, the less effective it becomes. This is because the acne-causing bacteria becomes immune to the antibiotic by mutating into “super bacteria,� making your acne worse and possibly untreatable.

:shock::shock::shock:

Why the heck would my doctor prescribe tetracycline if it's just a quick fix that will leave me worse off after a few months???

because that's what doctors do. You haven't noticed it before? But actually, since there's no cure for acne, and accutane is a major risk, they try everything they can, even if it's a quick fix.

because that's what doctors do. You haven't noticed it before? But actually, since there's no cure for acne, and accutane is a major risk, they try everything they can, even if it's a quick fix.

:clap: yep, you're right

Oxytetracycline is a total waste of time imo.

Your acne doesn't spread but it won't cure either (normally).

how come everyone's saying that they used tetracycline for like a year meanwhile my doctor wouldn't let me stay on it for more than 8 weeks? he thot that was too long of time and took me off it, now i just use a stievamycin topical gel.

you know how they say your system gets immune to these antibiotics.. what if you stay on tetracycline a couple months, then get off for a month, then go back on again? wouldnt that be a way of helping to not be immune cause ive been off tetra for almost a month and i wanna go back on them again before any acne comes back