Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gtfarley1229

Anyone have success using just salicylic acid?

For example, anyone use just Stridex pads? Is salicylic acid that helpful for some of you?

Everyone says salicylic acid is bad in conjunction w/ BP. But look at the proactiv system: the toner contains salicylic acid, the lotion contains BP. What's up w/ that?

I think the salicylic acid in the ProActiv toner was basically undetectable since they threw in so many skin-soothing ingredients to go along with this, with allantoin being one of them.

Salicylic acid mostly works as an exfoliant that helps to keep pores from clogging, as far as I know. If you have a very mild case of acne, it may help alone (kind of like the Aveeno acne treatment bar soap with salicylic acid), but anything more than the occassional blemish will require something more.

I tried ProActiv and experienced hideous irritation, but this was due mostly to Retin-A usage. I didn't really find it to be anything special at all and it was overpriced; a gritty cleanser which felt like it was ripping my face, a ho-hum toner, and glorfified 2.5% BP......if you can handle BP(which I can't anymore and my personal opinion is that BP is not that great for the skin), Dan's regimen would probably be a lot better anyway, but you would want to keep away from any acids while using BP because of that potential irritation.

Interesting. I've been applying the lemon juice nightly, and that too helps exfoliate the skin. But I've still yet to see results that make me go "wow, my face is really clear now!" Like salicylic acid, lemon juice also helps to exfoliate the skin.

I didn't try the regimen yet. I don't want to keep skipping from one method to another and confuse my skin. It will definitely be the next thing I try.

I have never had good results with SA products-- not as a teenager, and not as an adult. Nothing but a waste of my hard earned $$. The only SA product I ever liked was a SA/AHA gel face mask, made by St Ives, but I think that it just felt good, and never really did anything that useful for my acne. Let me put it this way-- I used Clearasil with SA and the St Ives SA mask for years, and thought that the million under the skin bumps on my forehead were permanent. They were gone within 3 weeks of starting the BP regimen.

I am a big big fan of Dan's BP regimen, but i think you are 100% correct in not jumping from plan to plan. However, next time you are ready to try something new, I would try the BP regimen before SA.

Over the summer I used Retin-A Micro, which I believe uses SA, and it worked.

For about a month.

Then my face got really dried out, which is weird cause at that time I stopped swimming, but it dried out and my acne came back.

I doubt this will help you though. :roll:

OK, folks. I have oily/combo skin with mild acne (blackheads, clogged pores, some occasional pimples) and I tried a salicylic acid regimine. I used a 1.5% concentration cream (Olay Anti Aging Anti Blemish) every night. The first several weeks my skin was bumby, then the bumps went away (which is normal when your skin is adjusting to something new). Now I'm not sure what I think of this regimine: one one hand, my skin is smoother, my pores are smaller and I have fewer blackheads. On the other hand, every day I get 3 to 4 zits on my lower cheeks, which I wasn't getting before. So now I've stopped using the salicylic acid on my cheeks, but still use it on my T Zone. Bottom line: if your only problem is big pores and blackheads on your nose, I'd recommend this. It will take a few weeks to start working, though. Also, Clean and Clear makes a 2% gel that is cheaper than Olay. However, in my less oily areas, the salicylic acid seemed to aggravate the problem. Anyone have similar experiences? Anything i read on the internet only talks about salicylic acid being good for everyone, no mention of increasing pimples... ????

I used Clinique's anti blemish on the spot treatment which contained salicylic acid. It didn't work at all, in fact if anything it made my skin worse.

I've never had luck using SA at all. This year I tried Philosophy's acne kit (for 3 months) and Murad's for 4 months and neither actually worked. SA just doesn't do anything for my skin and if anything I htink might even make it worse.

Guest yahyah

Well, I've been on the clear skin regimen for about 5 weeks now- and it has done wonders. I didn't follow the regimen per se - I used dove soap, 5% BP and nivea moisturiser so not exactly the items on Dan's list. But it did get rid big of all the big stubborn spots, but left me with a lot of scarring. I've decided to give the BP a break cos my face is sooo dry and I can't determine whether the tiny whiteheads i'm left with are actually being remedied or aggravated by the Bp, plus not sure if i have scarring or still spots - confusing!

But anyways, decided I'd start using Johnsons Clean and Clear deep pore wash instead of dove soap, really for the anti-dry affect but also cos it has SA in it. I'd used it in the past before I developed this hideous disease! And I think so far it is helping - though it never helped on its own before BP - but maybe now my skin's had a boost it might help out - or at least prevent further erruptions. It just does make my face feel really clean and cool, considering the burning affect of BP and dry skin. I'm just waiting to see if my face is almost cured or if i need to go back on BP in a couple of days. Ultimately, think SA is good, even though I've heard your not supposed to use it with BP - but i guess everyone's skin is different and what works for some people won't necessarily help for others. Good luck with it all anyways - and hopefully sometime soon we'll all look back on acne and laugh when we have clear skin!!!!!!