Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmyyyy

Acne in college

Hey guys, im 18 and going to be going to college in boston next year. I was wondering how everyone delt with acne during college. I just hate waking up with dry skin or wearing those smelly creams around people. How do you guys do it? Any advice or anything would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your contributions.

did you even read hi/her post? they dont want dry skin or to use lots of produtcs and you tell him to do the thing that gives you the dryest/reddest skin EVER and uses like 4 products lol.

im in college at the moment mate.. and have had a pretty hard time with it. tried clear skin regimen breifly but was to much having my face look deseased all the time, would rather acne than red/peeling skin. after trying everything except accutane in the last 6 months i have just gone down to washing once a day with soap, changing my pillow case every night, and keeping my face away from bad things as much as possible (like peoples hands etc). working best anything has done so far...

I do the regimen at school (and at home and elsewhere). It's not a big deal. You just need to find a sink of your own for 10-20 minutes, depending on how long it takes you. Living in a dorm actually lets you realize how many silly facial routines people have that they never talk about.

well i feel i can pretty much keep my acne under control, i just use topicals and night. Im just worried about whether kids actually care IE your room mate. And what about when u have girls sleep over in your dorm do you just not use the creams that one night?

that's why I stick to washes. I do put on tee tree oil at night though. At first I wouldn't do it around my girlfriend because it has a strong smell, but after a while I stopped giving a shit. She doesn't care. I wouldn't recommend wearing BP to bed with a girl though unless she's naked. I'm sure she wouldn't appreciate waking up with bleached clothing.

My rooommate doesn't give a crap what I put on my skin, if she does SHE has a PROBLEM. I wouldn't worry about it, most of the time people in college are more mature and understanding, so they won't say shit to you.

Forget about it man alot of kids in college have acne too and no one is gonna care what you put on your face they will all be too drunk and havin a good time to even notice what you put on your face.Instead of thinkin about how your gonna control your acne in college think about the craic your gonna have.

did you even read hi/her post? they dont want dry skin or to use lots of produtcs and you tell him to do the thing that gives you the dryest/reddest skin EVER and uses like 4 products lol.

im in college at the moment mate.. and have had a pretty hard time with it. tried clear skin regimen breifly but was to much having my face look deseased all the time, would rather acne than red/peeling skin. after trying everything except accutane in the last 6 months i have just gone down to washing once a day with soap, changing my pillow case every night, and keeping my face away from bad things as much as possible (like peoples hands etc). working best anything has done so far...

Yes, I read the post and I just read it again. Dryness can be controled with a moisturizer (fragrance free). And all the other products do not contain fragrance either so it works out.

Plus if you want to clear acne, you have to suffer a little bit, the miracle cure isn't out there...yet.

no it'll be fine, but if you're thinking of accutane or anything that requires limiting alcohol, do it now before you go! cause it sucks not being able to drink as much/often as everyone else.

I found that a lot of people in college I knew dealt with acne, and that no one would look at me funny for having lots of zits.

a warning though, I found that the water at college made my skin worse. I would come home on breaks and my skin would get better.

I havent tried anything prescription for my mild acne, but benzoyl peroxide products are the only thing that works for me. Right now Im using proactiv, and as long as I can afford it (45 bucks for 2 months) i'll use it.

Everything on this board is right on target.

Everyone in college has weird facial routines. My roommate used anti-wrinkle cream on her face!

I also agree that if you are going to do Accutane, do it now. You want to be where your parents can monitor and help you through it. You also want to be where you can see your derm regularly during the treatment.

I am on accutane now and I am loving it. See my log if you have any questions... but it all depends on how severe your acne is.

Above all, DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT. Confidence is key in this situation. Have fun next year! :)

You'll find a lot of people at college will also have acne. A combination of bad diet, shitty water, lack of sleep, poor bodily habits and lots of stress gives a ton of people the old one-two acne punch, so you wont be alone.

Now, I'll assume you'll be living in a dorm for your Freshman year. As long as you're an outgoing, comfortable and friendly person to the people living around you, they wont give a shit what you do to your face at night. Believe me, if you live in a big dorm, there will be people who do MUCH stranger things to themselves than putting cream on their faces at night. I personally started experiencing the first heavy onset of acne during my Freshman year, and thus went through the whole "HOLY SHIT WHAT IS HAPPENING TO MY FACE OH MY GOD I MUST BUY EVERY ACNE PRODUCT THAT I SEE AND USE IT INCORRECTLY AND EXCESSIVELY" phase that people go through right in front of about thirty people over the course of 6 months.

One thing I will suggest though is not to use Apple Cider Vinegar. People will not like the smell it leaves. :D

well i feel i can pretty much keep my acne under control, i just use topicals and night. Im just worried about whether kids actually care IE your room mate. And what about when u have girls sleep over in your dorm do you just not use the creams that one night?

I lived in a dorm townhouse with 11 other people and no one once ever said anything about it. This other guy in the house had really bad acne but he was a big guy and had a gorgeous girlfriend, and I was the house stoner, the other guys all had perfect skin and I never once remember anyone acting weird towards me about my skin, I made tons of friends and had a fuckin blast man. Don't even worry about it, people don't give a shit. It's not like high school. Plus, they're busy with their own lives, they have better things to worry about than your skin.

did you even read hi/her post? they dont want dry skin

accutane makes your face red too, try quoting them both

jimmy, i bet that if you really want to get clear, you'll do ANYTHING to get your face fixed, hows your skin like? maybe its just mild and theres no need of tane, or dan's regimen either..

I used all sorts of ointments during my first year and a half at college; my roommate didn't care or comment at all. Last year, someone walked in as I stood in the bathroom with cream slathered all over my face and several cleansers and solutions next to me, but the person herself wore curlers, a green mask and cucumbers. To second Paradigm's comment, you'll find that many people in college have their own strange habits, so there's no reason to feel strange about your nightly face ritual. To each his own.

For the last 2 months or so, I've used a microdermabrasion cloth each week, which has worked absolute miracles. I leave the ointments and creams behind, complementing my cloth use with a Noxema cleansing before bed and when I get ready for class in the morn, which leaves my skin free to breathe at night and my pillow clean.

My major onset of acne happened RIGHT before I left for college and I got stronger and stronger throughout the year. I am going to be a Sophomore next year and with the Clear Skin Regimen along with gycolic acid or AHA I plan to kick my acne's ass and the brown/red marks before school starts back up. I'm on my 10th week, hopefully everything gets better from now on out. My skin has looked a lot better than it has before, I just have a lot of hyperpigmentation. Before I had a lot of very small red bumps.. almost like shaving bumps, but I didn't shave at those spots.

By the way, where are you going to school? I'm going to be going back to school in BOSTON too!! Boston University to be exact, maybe we can meet up and I can show you around since its gonna be my 2nd year.

get accutane. go to a derm and tell him u've tried topicals and antibiotics. if he doesnt prescribe it, try another.

i dealt with acne for 9 years. why make your life harder sticking to a regimen only to still get acne anyway.

for me accutane is a miracle. i actually go to sleep without worrying about getting new acne. i actually let girls touch my face without fear of it causing zits.

get accutane. its not worth getting scars or dealing with acne and all the regimen shit.