Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MARLEE44

Mar's accutane journal

Day 1: Right now, I'm waiting for my mom to come home with the pills. I'm taking 40mg once a day, with dinner. I hope this will work. I'll probably post another message later on tonight, or tomorrow about my 1st pill. woohoo, im actually REALLY excited, but im also expecting the worst. I know my acne is going to get worse before it gets better, but ive stocked up on everything I think that will help, so im prepared. Please leave me some messages of encouragment O:) , or some tips for the beginning of my Accutane experience. Thanks a lot.

<3- marlee :)

It's still day 1... haha i have no life. But ive noticed no side effects yet, except my eyes got a little bit dry and irritating so I took out my contacts. But now, while I was on the phone with my friend.... i seemed to feel a little bit more moody than usual. No, im def. not PMS-ing and its not even my time of the month.... not sure if this is due to the accutane or not. I HOPE NOT! I'll try to keep my spirits high, and I'll keep posting about my experience. These next 5 months are gonna be difficult...

It's now day 4.... and I thought that I would be posting this every week... but I just got out of the shower and one look at my face made me want to cry. My cheeks have EXPLODED! they were CLEAR at the beginning of my treatment and now it looks like a combination of sun burn and a large breakout. im actually embarresed to talk to my family and have them see me like this. Not to mention im about to go to my friends house, i hope my makeup will work its charm on this one. This is the worst i have ever looked! ugh...

Dont worry i had the same breakout at my cheeks at the 1 week already and i'm still breaking out just dont pick anything u'll regret it [-X

Patience is the key thats what i'm doing.I had mild to moderate acne before i started and maybe its looking very bad this breakout for us.

I'll be happy to know your progress.

thanks so much for your reply. I'm glad to know that im not in this alone. I hope someone out there is reading this, and maybe this will help. Today I noticed how SENSITIVE your skin becomes on this drug. I had been applying bp on my breakout areas since the beginning of my treatment (I'm on day 5) but now my face is painful, and pink-toned almost at a red tone. I've decided to quit using the bp and this is my routine:

1) Cetaphil wash

2) Clinique Toner

3) Cetaphil moisturizer

LUCKILY i have not experienced ANY form of dryness yet. NOT EVEN ON MY LIPS, possibly b/c I have been applying aquaphor day and night to my lips. ok, well i will keep posting. later!

<3- marlee

hey guys!!!!! IM SO SORRY I haven't kept up to date... i was at the shore this whole week... ok so its day 10 and I am really happy with my skin... wow this is impressive

WEEK 1 UPDATE: NO DRY SKIN, not even on my lips!!! I had a flare up on my forehead, but that was due to PMS... now that flare is barely anything. My cheeks have been completely clear, and the big blemishes I had near my sideburn area are now very little. I think mostly this is due to the fact I was in the sun all day... (wearing SPF of course). I am not ashamed to be in public, and I havent been wearing much makeup. This is funny cause its only my first week. i bet a breakout will be coming soon, but next tuesday I'm leaving for the shore again-- so maybe ill dodge this. Now, with all of this good news theres some bad.

MAJOR BACK PAIN! I feel like an 80 year old woman with arthritis. Even if I bend down to pick something or slightly bend my back to get something out of my bag it HURTS to stand up straight again, I DO NOT feel like my back is completely straight anymore. UGH... it hurts a lot when i lay down.... and sometimes i get random joint pains. Okay well thats all... day 10 is looking good. I'll try to keep updating but I doubt I will be able to until next SUNDAY when I get home from the shore. So please respond... read, w/e u wanna do. OKay this is long enough, later!!

<3- marlee

This is my routine: (morning and night)

1) Cetaphil Wash

2) Cetaphil Moisturizer

~and SOMETIMES I add a little bit of bp on the larger ones, or ones that are still hanging around. I usually use my old proactiv cream with 2.5%bp so it doesn't sting as much as the other stuff with 10%bp.

~ I have also decided to give up on the toner. It just stung SO much, and made my face very red. My face has no abnormal tone to it right now. I hope it stays like that. wish me luck.... hahah

<3- marlee

(day 11)

yay.... im in week 3.

*week 2 update*

~dry skin.... (it finally came) all over my cheeks, LIPS (this sucks) and my feet and my arms. Which are actually peeling right now... probably from the sun. (i was at the shore all week)

~ this was probably my initial outbreak. my forehead wasn't very pleasant, and my cheeks..... eeehhh, w/e...

~ MAJOR BACK PAINS...... it hurts to do anything.

~ My back is pretty much cleared up... yay

ok im done. week 2... wasn't that great.... hoping to see improvement b4 school starts..

So yesterday after I posted that message I visited with my neighbors. My neighbor Sam had her friend over who has been on accutane since I think the beginning of the summer..... and all I can say is WOW! :- her face looked SOOOO good!! now this girl didn't have good skin. her acne was a lot worse than mine when she started, and now her skin looks flawless and shes not even finished her course yet.... when I saw her it just made me want to stay on this drug... just to look at someone who has had so much success makes me excited for the future, she really helped me gain confidence in this drug. =D> For anyone who is unsure, just think about what your skin will look like in a couple months. I was so shocked at her skin..... now i'm ready to tackle whatever side effects because of the improvement i saw in her skin.

~I wont be able to post my week 3 update until Saturday because (of course) i'm going back to the shore. well maybe ill be able to post on thursday (end of week 3...) not sure, hope this message helps. later!

<3- marlee

WOW! im soooo glad your sticking by it, support from friends and giving friends support make it soo much easier for you! i wish you all the best i know youll have great skin

whoa... its day, 20? maybe 21... tomorrow is the mark of the end of week 3. I guess ill post tom. whats happened so far, but today i noticed a lot of things.....

~nose is very dry and peely

~I have 1 mega-zit or maybe cyst growing underneath the skin.. never had this type of acne, but i but some bp on it tonight and i guess it will turn into a lovely whitehead tomorrow morning! :roll:

~Tips of fingers are peeling... wONDERFUL! I've decided to put mega moisturizer on my hands at night then put these old cotton gloves i have from when i was a kid... that should make my hands feel really soft and hopefully stop the peeling.

~Bottoms of feet are peeling as well. just like my hands I'm going to put moisturizer on and then put some thin socks on top to keep in the moisture. I'll write back tomorrow to see if this helped.

<3- marlee

alrighty heres my week 3 update one day late....

week 3:

~ dryness! on arms--my arms are actually peeling away, ALL OVER and I dont know what to do cause i put sooo much moisturizer on!!! Maybe I'll try my body exfoliator in the shower today... :-k My nose is also pretty dry, along with the bottoms of my feet (which are also peeling) and my cheeks... i think they are doing better now. ooo almost forgot, lips are dry, but nothing bad at all.... i just carry blistex with me everywhere I go. funny but for some reason I like blistex a lot more than aquaphor...

~still back pain... does anybody know when this STOPS!?

~ As for the acne: That cyst or mega-zit (on my chin), whatever it is... its still here but it doesn't hurt anymore and I think its in the healing stage. As are a lot of my blemishes. but this week was definately a breakout week. My forehead was (and still kinda is) a war zone. My cheeks have no problems, the side burn area is pretty clear. My chin is pretty bad so now I'm just waiting on my forehead and chin. But with my luck next week there will be a whole new story to my breakouts... hoping this was my last breakout week. 2 in total so far, maybe I'll get lucky and just have to deal with this horrible dryness... blah.

~ooh got blood work today. that was fun. triglicerides were off the charts last month (right before I started) and my derm said if they went higher that there would be a possibility she would take me off accutane... NOOOOOO i dont want that!! ughh... hope everythings ok... leave me some love people. hoping this is helping, or at least amusing...

<3- mar (3 weeks down, 17 to go)

hey..keep your head up! I promise it gets better - I've almost completed 10 weeks and I'm pimple free. All thats left is a red face and some minor peeling. I've still got another 10 weeks though. :roll:

I had extremely painful backpains too...they lasted for awhile, I'd say up until 2 weeks ago. Try a heating pad, it helps!

Hope everything goes smoothly for you in the weeks to come :)

I know I'm supposed to post once a week, but I've decided to be a little more helpful...

TIPS:

~Last week when I used the socks and gloves it helped keep in the moisture... try it! (still dry and peely-- feet)

~The body exfoliator helped too with the peeling on my back and arms... that was due to too much time in the sun without proper SPF, and since im on accutane there was no moisture in my body to keep those areas soft.... although I've heard to stay away from exfoliators while on the drug, i thought it would be OK since I was using it on my body and it did remove the dead skin... now im just using tons of moisturizer and its helping.

~I have recently been getting cysts. One in the middle of my chin, and one in the middle of my forehead (how pleasant) and I've been applying 10% bp to them at night and they heal very quickly. Got a new one today on the left side of my nose... GREAT. Hoping that will go away soon. Leave me some more love. Or at least i appreciate people reading, just so i dont feel like an idiot posting these things. Makes me feel better actually, funny.... lateR!

<3- marlee

P.S- I've been recently getting comments from my BEST FRIEND who used accutane when she was in 6th grade... CRAZY but she was an early bloomer! Anyways, it made me feel really great about myself especially since these past couple weeks i havent been feeling too crazy about my skin.

Sometimes I forget about my pill until around 9:30 pm or 10:00, and i still take it with food its just I take my pill at such different times.... will this have an effect with the medication? I'm a little worried. :-s

AHHH i typed it all out but then it froze.. ok here we go (AGAIN!)

1 month on accutane:

SIDE EFFECTS

~back pain less noticeable, arms, back and soles of feet stopped peeling, face is a little dry but cetaphil works wonders. Eyes dry so I use my rewetting drops with protein reducer (for my contacts): Clerz Plus Lens Drops (OTC)

ACNE:

~main problem areas (forehead and chin) are really clearing up... i have VERY little amount of activity on my face..... hoping its gonna stay this way. no red tone on my face, and with makeup my skin looks pretty nice.

GOOD NEWS: My trigliceride level dropped from last month... ive been eating really healthfully and exercising a lot...

Alright.... 4 weeks down, 16 to go. Looking good right now, a lot better than the weeks before. Very pleased with accutane right now. Leave some love. Wow, can't believe I'm already in month 2.. time flys.

<3- marlee

sup girl? i am on accutane also, for the same amount of time you have been on iy almost exactly, i am on my way to being clear also....good luck and hang n there

hey everyone! 5 weeks down!!!

5 week update:

I'd have to say I was a LITTLE over excited last week.... because now i have some more blemishes. WONDERFUL :D I have about 4 on my forehead (worst area right now) they are pretty much underneath the skin but still noticeable. They will probably turn into disgusting whiteheads soon. I have VERY little activity on my left cheek. My right cheek is a little different, I have a little bit near the jawline. And my chin has 1 whitehead and 1 regular blemish... blah. This isn't exactly what I hoped for my skin to look like being in month 2. But my derm. said that I shouldn't see improvement until after 8 weeks. And i'm only on 40mg a day (1 pill with dinner) so I may be bumped up if she doesn't see improvement in my next appointment.

Alright as for the dryness: BASICALLY NONE!!! NOT A JOKE... my face is NOT dry. my lips are NOT dry, my feet/hands/arms/legs are NOT dry. This is wonderful. So here is my routine people:

1) Cetaphil Wash

2) Cetaphil Moisturizer

3) 10% BP on spots....

- my skin doesn't actually look THAT bad... theres def. some improvement from the weeks before when I had my bad breakout... but its not completely what i was wishing for. oh well, patience is key... 5 weeks down, 15 to go. :D

<3- marlee

P.S- I've had a lot more confidence... even with my acne. Because I know that i'm helping myself and I know that soon I will have the clear skin i've been dreaming of. And just thinking about that makes me not care about what people are thinking now... just keep that in mind.

WOW! Sorry this is late, i JUST got my power back from the hurricane... week 6 was not so great.

WEEK 6 UPDATE

Acne:

~My worst area is of course my forehead. :roll: I think everything is in the healing stage except for this 1 thats underneath the skin. A lot of red spots on the forehead cause everytime (literally EVERYTIME) i see a whitehead i pop it. I know this is terrible, its just I CAN'T STOP!!! #-o

~ Cheeks are pretty much clear except for 1 pimple on my left cheek thats def. healing.

~ Chin isn't very pleasant. Again no new blemishes there, everything just trying to heal.

Dryness:

~ Oh boy... unlike last week i am dry. Not on my body though, on my LIPS and FACE. But my aquaphor and blistex help the lips (which have been peeling and bleeding) and my cetaphil helps the face. It's just I lost my cetaphil wash and therefore i've been using regular face wash which is probably causing the dryness. Oh whatever. Week 6 wasn't the best. Not to mention i feel like shit at school cause of those damn fluorescent lights. Well, 6 weeks down... 14 to go.

<3- marlee

Guys I'm really sorry about the delay. My computer crashed, and I couldn't get on the internet. Tomorrow is my week 8 update, so I'll just post week 7 and 8 right now.

Weeks 7 & 8

ACNE:

~Forehead is still a mess. Definately healing... but of course i pick at everything... so i have big red dots that im hoping will fade soon. TRYING SOO HARD TO KEEP MY HANDS OFF MY FACE!!

~ Cheeks are pretty much flawless!

~Hairline has a little bit of activity, but i can tell those will be gone shortly.

~ Chin is not that bad. Just maybe one major blemish healing right now. (red cause i picked it ](*,) )

SIDE EFFECTS:

~ Not very dry. Except lips get dry during the day if I don't use stuff on them. So I always have blistex in my pocket.

~ Skin is soft, but not oily... im LOVING THIS... but I know that it wont last long with colder months coming. (and living in northeastern U.S isn't gonna help)

~ Eyes have been very dry.... even with those drops I was talking about earlier. Thinking about adding visine on top of that.

~ No joint pains.... back aches... im fine there.

ROUTINE:

I have recently been sticking on the same routine.... but tonight I changed it a little

1) Cetaphil Wash

2) Dove (alcohol free) toner

3) Cetaphil Moisturizer

4) Proactiv lotion w/ 2.5% BP

DERM UPDATES:

~ Triglicerides back up to 270 this month. She said I'm fine as long as I stay under 300.

~ Lowering my dosage.... not by mg but by how many pills I take a week. My derm said I'm too little of a person to take 40mg (one pill) a day. So now I'm skipping wednesdays and saturdays. I really hope this doesn't change anything about how the accutane is working on my skin.

~ She said in the next few weeks I should be seeing major improvement- hoping shes correct. WISH ME LUCK!! this was a long one....

<3- marlee

hey guys. week 9 is over.

WEEK 9:

Acne:

~ My trouble area is my chin and also a tiny bit on my right cheek. (near jawline.) Forehead is really clearing up. Even though there are red marks from popping. Yesterday my skin looked awful (prob. from PMS or something) but today its really died down...

Side effects:

~Last night did not take a pill (im supposed to skip wed. and sat. now) and my eyes haven't been that dry today. Thats my only complaint right now. Oh yeah... and the red marks... and the dry lips... :roll: I'm actually really surprised :o b/c I thought accutane was gonna be SOOO bad. But im practically 1/2 through this... and my skin is NOT dry. My lips are actually pretty soft, its just my eyes. Nothing else. 8)

Routine:

~ Same as last week. The toner is really nice. biggrin.gif

So guys... are people reading this? Cause i feel like im just talking to myself... anybody have questions... any comments... encouragement notes..? Is this helpful? should I change anything? Okay... ill stop now!

<3- marlee

9 weeks down... 11 to go!