Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GregasGP

Accutane has got me clear, but are genetics gonna f**k me!

Hi all,

Quick background: Acne since age of 17. I'm now a 23 year old male. It has always been mild-moderate, more moderate but EXTREMELY persistant and only on my face really.

Been on 40mg Tane for 10 weeks now with absolutely fantastic results. Nearly clear, in fact I am really bar a couple of small red marks, great!

Nobody in my immediate family has acne. My parents never did, my brother is 21 and he has it slightly, really mild and it's blatently his lifestyle if you ask me! The only person I found out who had it in my family was my nan and she was taking antibiotics into her 60's to control it when she sadly passed away. My autnie on my mums side also had it into her mid-twenties but it seems to have passed now, although she might be on meds.

Do you think it's jumped a generation and the adult acne syndrome has passed to me, or am I being extremely paranoid? I have a good chance of getting clear for good now, passed through puberty, great results so far etc, but this scares me a little.

Any advice or similar stories would be much appreciated. Thanks all!

Greg ;)

Accutane can cure or at least help adult acne. Why worry? Who knows about all the genetics crap, genetics as a whole is sometimes hard to predict accurately.

Anyway, as far as I know, chances are your acne will be gone or at least way more manageable after you finish your course. There is always the option of alternative things like strict diets but chances are that post-tane you'll be fine just using topicals to maintain clear skin.

Good luck.

my dad said hes stopped when he was 22-23. im 20 and on 4 months of tane, i hope it can keep it bay now until i reach 22-23 or become more mild. Good luck Gregas

Bah, a lot of people in my family had acne in their teens and grew out of it like 18 or so and here I'm almost 20 and still fucked! But NOBODY as adults had acne, except my sister who is 24 but she got huge hormone problems, so that's another thing, I'm a guy.

Thanks for your replies people.

Proverbial, thanks for your confidence boost too. I've been on many a strict diet i.e. those crappy 'acne no more' e-books and the BP Regimen helped but never cleared me. Here's hoping this wonderful drug lasts. I'll also consider taking it long-term in small doses if need be. Wouldn't ever hesitate to give it another full shot as of now either!

Enigmatic_786 and Posh, thank you both for your comments and cheers Posh, hope you find happiness to bud and that all works out! All the best. ;)

all this genetic stuff has made me think that after suffering from acne, i refuse to have children! i cannot forgive my dad for what hes done to me and i wouldnt want my kids to suffer in todays society. But ye, i refuse ever to have kids incase they get the disease. go me :), getting kinda crowded here anyway !