Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mental-miracle

How to maintain your clear skin after Accutane.

i dont know if there was topic similar to this, if yes then sorry.

ok, i would like to know what is the most effective method, to keep your skin from getting acne, right after accutane. i know there are possibilities,like using topical retinoids, couple times a week. or maybe taking beta-sitosterols, omega-3 and other supliments,vitamins be enough to keep clear skin ?

to all actual accutane users : what will you do after the course ?

My doc said to start a retinoid right away. I'm using Tazorac cream .1%. So far, so good. (I'm also on Yasmin BCP, as well.)

My derm hasnt gave me the chance to do anything. My pills run out 7th April and Im not booked in for another appointment til late June. What a tosser.

Any good derm would prescribe a topical retinoid to use a few times a week as maintnence....

Doing nothing for maintnence is like getting braces and never wearing a retainer.......

My derm hasnt gave me the chance to do anything. My pills run out 7th April and Im not booked in for another appointment til late June. What a tosser.

Ive seen a lot of people on here say they cant get an appointment for months with their derm. Im wondering why? If i really wanted to, they could book me for every day for the next year. They said if i have any problems i can call 1-2 hours before i wanna come in and they can check me out same day. Talk about good service!!

If people start using something right away after Tane, they'll never know if they are "cured". Why use a topical for years afterwards when you might be clear regardless?

My doc said to start a retinoid right away. I'm using Tazorac cream .1%. So far, so good. (I'm also on Yasmin BCP, as well.)

how often you use it ?

I'm using the Tazorac pretty much every night now, but I had to work my way up to that. First, it was every third night, than every other, than two nights on, one night off, until I could use it every night.

Yasmin I take every morning w/breakfast, except for my placebo week.

Carys but why are you using it everyday if you dont have acne, i think every 3 days should do after tane. + yasmin do some job here

If people start using something right away after Tane, they'll never know if they are "cured". Why use a topical for years afterwards when you might be clear regardless?

Ive seen a lot of people on here say they cant get an appointment for months with their derm. Im wondering why? If i really wanted to, they could book me for every day for the next year. They said if i have any problems i can call 1-2 hours before i wanna come in and they can check me out same day. Talk about good service!!

Its called the NHS, lol I didn't go private so accutane is free just have to go to the hopsital to get it.

I did, and do nothing after accutane except wash my face with water and put on some moisturizer and I'm still 100% clear.

I did, and do nothing after accutane except wash my face with water and put on some moisturizer and I'm still 100% clear.

was your skin oily and now do you have100% pure dry skin ?

This is from a Canadian accutane fact sheet:

Forty percent of patients respond to initial therapy and do not require any further anti-acne treatment.

Twenty percent keep acne under control with topical therapy only and 20 percent of patients need a further course of treatment. Adult onset acne in women appear to relapse more often.

Thank you for pointing this out! Why do people keep doing this?? Once you are off tane your acne should be gone 4 good and forget about all that other shit! If your acne has to come back which there is like a 20-30% chance, that maintenance thing won't help you much anyway!

Any good derm would prescribe a topical retinoid to use a few times a week as maintnence....

Doing nothing for maintnence is like getting braces and never wearing a retainer.......

whenever I try to use a retinoid, I get bumps.

I agree, at least for me. I think it's better to wait and see if your clear. Usinf topicals can irritate the skin, especially if its clear and alter the PH. At least that's my fear - I think if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

It's been 6 months for me and I don't use anything and I'm pretty clear. If I start to break out, I'll try something, but I know I'll just go back on 'tane.

Thank you for pointing this out! Why do people keep doing this?? Once you are off tane your acne should be gone 4 good and forget about all that other shit! If your acne has to come back which there is like a 20-30% chance, that maintenance thing won't help you much anyway!

I agree. I'm going on Accutane because I know (and hope) there's a good chance that this will all be over once my course ends. It would be a freaking pain in the ass to still have to use topicals when I'm done. Then again if I have to I will but that's only if I start breaking out again. If there is no acne to be seen then I'll leave the creams alone.

Topicals, antibiotics etc. it's all when you break out not for clear skin lol...I'm so happy just to pop a pill and not apply all that shit at night when I go nap where I'm usually tired and lazy to do it anyway.

Carys but why are you using it everyday if you dont have acne, i think every 3 days should do after tane. + yasmin do some job here

to stay clear for ever. and the maintance helps somehow

I use it every day to prevent acne from reappearing. As someone else mentioned, adult women w/acne have a higher chance of relapse. I could potentially fall into that category, so I'm trying to keep my pores clear.

And anyway, if the acne did end up coming back in the long run, at least I wouldn't have as much crap hiding out underneath the skin. So, if I did have to go on 'tane again, I wouldn't have as bad of an initial breakout. I was on RAM right up to the day I popped my first 'tane pill, and I'm convinced that's why I had a minor IB instead of a horrific one.

Plus, if I'm already on a strong retinoid and BCP, if the acne comes back I have more leverage to get the doc to give me the big gun again, instead of backtracking w/retinoids or antibiotics. If I've already been using other methods post-tane to maintain results and they didn't work, then the doc can't really rebuke a request for 'tane one more time around.

Plus, the Tazorac has been great for my skin thus far. My face isn't nearly as red as it was on 'tane, and it's faded my red marks out quite a bit. Plus, as others have mentioned, it's wonderful for fine lines. I'm only 26, but it's at this age where girls should start being proactive about aging if they're to keep some semblence of youth about them.