Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Balnoy

what is wrong with taste buds?

can you imagine any other animal except human that has food preferences that are markedly detrimental to its health? i mean, how retarded would that be? the whole point of evolution is for animals better adapated to their environment to procreate, so one would figure that the animal whose taste buds prefer healthful foods would tend to produce more offspring, who, in turn, would also prefer healthful foods....

so why exactly do humans love the foods that are detrimental to its health? why do i like donuts but not onions? animals should instinctively choose the foods best for their survival, and it would seem all but humans do so. (humans are animals, by the way) i mean, you don't see monkeys so fat they cant lift their asses onto a tree, yet some people can barely walk because of their diets.

so why do we love all this crap food? have we deviated so much from the natural relationship between our species and its food supply that the very same types of foods that would be best for us in the wild are now killing us in our civilizations? did finding foods with most calories per gram (fat) once help us fight hunger by stuffing the most energy-rich food into a limited stomach, and foods with immediate energy release (simple carbs) provide the immediate energy needed in certain situations? "holy crap, that tiger's running after me, where in the hell did i put those sugar cubes?" has a sedentary lifestyle lowered our energy needs to the point where we should be eating lots of fiber that just comes right back out undigested? what kind of bullshit is that anyway, eating stuff that just goes right back out, the point of eating is to get energy, not make more fertilizer.

maybe we have just been fed crap since childhoods, modifying our tasted buds forever to crave the foods we received during development? that doesnt seem right....

so is nature screwing us around, or did we just do this to ourselves? if spinach and broccolli are so good for me, why in the hell are my tasted buds asking for bacon cheeseburgers?

You answered your own question. Of course being rich in energy was the most important factor in food choice back in neolithic times. We were on the border of starvation almost constantly, so when we did get to eat, it would need to be as energy packed as possible. Sugar for immediate energy, carbs and fats for slow energy release and storage.

The reason these preferences are now detrimental to humans is twofold, you already mentioned our lifestyle, but it's also because of the abundance of these types of foods, because we manufacture foodstuffs rich in sugar, fats, and carbohydrates. It's readily available, unlike back when evolution was defining us.

The point at which these foods became abundant is a drop in the ocean of humanity's existance, so of course our tastebuds are still adapted towards a lifestyle of borderline starvation.

I would have thought this stuff was obvious. There is also a psychological component in this, and people can condition themselves to have aversions to certain foods, or to prefer other foods. But this takes discipline.

I bet my dog prefers bacon over chicken... just a guess.

Remember that animals can't make cakes and brownies, so they never even get to taste the delights one way or another. Who knows, maybe lions would really like Doritos! ;)

humans have only been in contact with processed foods as well as an overly abundant food supply for a few hundred years, really. not enough time for evolution to take its course. before that, as was already mentioned, there was always a shortage of food, so you wanted the most calorie dense you could get, and the biggest quantity in order to keep yourself alive. you needed to have a preferance for calorie dense foods, if you didn't eat them you'd probably starve to death.

Guest Gentle~Rain

Who knows, maybe lions would really like Doritos! ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

yeah, but taste buds change rather quickly. they change within our lifetimes, and it only takes one food poisoning for them to recognize the associated food, in my experience and other mammals too. so, basically, if these foods are doing our bodies so much harm, one would think we would begin to dislike them at some point. and no, not just diminishing marginal utility.

and whats with these meat preferences? apes are omnivorous, generally, but they dont get meat often at all. maybe they should do a study, give a chimp a pile of meat and a pile of fruit, see how much of each he eats. if it manages to maintain a nonsuicidal diet, maybe theres a little hope for us....or, maybe, the food chain is tipping....

maybe because humans are meant to be killed off--think of how much we've damaged the ecosystem. In essence, WE SUCK. It's the tradeoff with being jackasses...population control.