Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
welshboy_073

deciding not to go on accutane

after so many hair loss discussions and realising the risks im considering not using accutane, ive heard that the hair loss gets worse after you discontinue treatment, so now i am left to suffer with acne til god knows wen :(

Honestly, alot of the side affects are blown out of shape. Sure you are going to have hellish dry skin and lips, but there is little chance fo you morphing into an alien or looking like a cancer patient.

Honestly look into it more..

I can relate to your fears on hair loss not to mention I'm a female (long, thick hair). I also read the horror stories about people loosing a lot of hair and in some rare cases the hair never growing back but, I still decided to go ahead and start Tane because I was so self conscious about my face. Growing up I've never had a problem with acne that is until Oct of last year. I have no idea what caused it but it's been there & nothing has worked. My acne is mild/moderate & I say moderate because it has left a few scars & red marks. I've been on Tane 2wks & 1day today. I'm trying to keep a close watch for hair loss every day that goes by. My face is beginning to look clear even though I get a new pimple every 2days or so but for the most part it has improved and my back is almost completely clear as well. Hair loss doesn't happen to everyone. But, to be honest with you, I'm as nervous today as I was 2 weeks ago when I first started taking it. A lot of people say they have experienced hair loss but it's not that noticeable and I keep telling myself that every day. Let's just hope for the best. Best of luck with your decision! :)

P.S, for the record the side effects I've experienced so far are, dry skin, scalp, chapped lips, some headaches/pressure, loss of appetite which is not that bad, my face has just begun to flush (red), a little tired, & I'm not sure if it's still too early for the initial break-out but knock on wood, so far it hasn't been that bad, 2 or 3 red, sore pimples at a time. I hope this helps. Use this site as a guide, I know I do; every day too. It is sooo helpful. Take care. :D

I can relate to your fears on hair loss not to mention I'm a female (long, thick hair). I also read the horror stories about people loosing a lot of hair and in some rare cases the hair never growing back but, I still decided to go ahead and start Tane because I was so self conscious about my face. Growing up I've never had a problem with acne that is until Oct of last year. I have no idea what caused it but it's been there & nothing has worked. My acne is mild/moderate & I say moderate because it has left a few scars & red marks. I've been on Tane 2wks & 1day today. I'm trying to keep a close watch for hair loss every day that goes by. My face is beginning to look clear even though I get a new pimple every 2days or so but for the most part it has improved and my back is almost completely clear as well. Hair loss doesn't happen to everyone. But, to be honest with you, I'm as nervous today as I was 2 weeks ago when I first started taking it. A lot of people say they have experienced hair loss but it's not that noticeable and I keep telling myself that every day. Let's just hope for the best. Best of luck with your decision! :)

P.S, for the record the side effects I've experienced so far are, dry skin, scalp, chapped lips, some headaches/pressure, loss of appetite which is not that bad, my face has just begun to flush (red), a little tired, & I'm not sure if it's still too early for the initial break-out but knock on wood, so far it hasn't been that bad, 2 or 3 red, sore pimples at a time. I hope this helps. Use this site as a guide, I know I do; every day too. It is sooo helpful. Take care. :D

We are on the same tane schedule.

We are? That's awesome! 1st person I know to be on the same schedule as me. How many mg's are you on???

80 mg a day

I kinda wanna compare my progress against someone else's, just to see if I am in the norm. If you wanna posts some pics, that would be great.

I'm on 60mgs. I weigh about 124lbs. Unfortunately I do not have any pics to post. Is your acne mild, moderate, severe? Any side effects???

80 mg a day

I kinda wanna compare my progress against someone else's, just to see if I am in the norm. If you wanna posts some pics, that would be great.

I don't like to post my pics on forums <_< If you want them through AIM, I would be happy to give them to you. I think I have severe acne though, although I am pretty photogenic.

I'm on 60mgs. I weigh about 124lbs. Unfortunately I do not have any pics to post. Is your acne mild, moderate, severe? Any side effects???

80 mg a day

Why not only 40 mg if you have only 124 pounds? Is your acne severe?

[

mine's mild, and i weigh around 100 lbs, i'm about 5'7. i'm a female. and my derm put me on 50 mg. :think:

No, my acne is not severe at all. I don't know what other's may rate it as but I thought it was mild but persistant. At the time I saw my Derm it was a lot worst than now, since my back has cleared up almost 100 % and my face is looking a lot better; atleast where the stubborn break-out was which was around my right cheek & jaw line. Also, when I visited my Derm, I had about 5 or 6 red, bumpy, painful, white head pimples all bunched up around my jaw line and because they were bunched up, it looked bad. I had a couple of smaller ones on the other side of my face and I had about 4 or 5 red, bumpy, painful ones on my back. As far as the dosage goes, my Derm told me it goes by your weight and at the time my weight was around 125, that was about 2weeks ago. I may have dropped 3 or 4 lbs because I'm experiencing loss of appetite on this but, that's what she said I should be on. The 1st week I was on 40 then the 2nd week I up'd my dose to 60.

I'm on 60mgs.

I'm in the same boat. I have mild/moderate acne on my face atm (the occasional cyst; continually about 6-7 active pimples in non-cystic form around my face), with some cystic and moderate acne on my chest and back.

My derm, after looking at me for less than 5 minutes, suggested accutane, due to my lack of progress on any other treatments (non on benzoyl peroxide, none on erythromycin, only slight on steviamycin, none on hibiclens, none on tetracycline).

Now, I'm scared to even get it. I've read the horrific side effect list, and I just don't know if its worth it. I mean, if I had moderate/severe like I did 4 months ago, I might... but yikes...

I'm really in the same bind. I don't want to lose my hair. I don't want organ failure. I don't want vision impairment. I don't want brain pressure... ugh... damn it...

Oh, if I start to see hair loss, a lot of it, I think I would most definately stop this & have to deal with the acne some other way & maybe have to deal with the problem for a long time, maybe even forever. :( The other major side effects like the organ failure, don't scare me as much. Infact I hardly think about them because I'm way too busy thinking and worrying about the hair loss. It makes more sense to be worried about the major stuff but I guess because hair loss seems to be a common side effect, that worries me the most.

I go see my Derm in less than 2 weeks from now which by then, I would have finished all of my pills for month 1. Who knows, maybe she'll say I don't need to be on Accutane for the entire 4 or 5 months. By the way, the brain pressure is not bad at all nor are the minor headaches. I have not experienced any vision impairement; oh I have experienced dry eyes, but you can fix that with eye drops. Good luck Elendil! :)

I'm in the same boat. I have mild/moderate acne on my face atm (the occasional cyst; continually about 6-7 active pimples in non-cystic form around my face), with some cystic and moderate acne on my chest and back.

My derm, after looking at me for less than 5 minutes, suggested accutane, due to my lack of progress on any other treatments (non on benzoyl peroxide, none on erythromycin, only slight on steviamycin, none on hibiclens, none on tetracycline).

Now, I'm scared to even get it. I've read the horrific side effect list, and I just don't know if its worth it. I mean, if I had moderate/severe like I did 4 months ago, I might... but yikes...

I'm really in the same bind. I don't want to lose my hair. I don't want organ failure. I don't want vision impairment. I don't want brain pressure... ugh... damn it...

100 lbs and your Derm put you on 50mgs? That's weird. Maybe he/she went by your height? Can they do that? And on top of that your acne is mild. I would ask your Derm. How long have you been on it???

I guess my derm just wants to kick my acne in the ass! get rid of it for good, you know? she even wanted to raise it to 60mg a day, but i had bone aches so i didn't want to. my skin's totally clear, though. i've been on it since december 30th.

That's awesome that your face is completely clear! :D I can't wait til it's my turn. :D How much longer are you going to be on it? What side effects besides bone aches have you experienced if you don't mind me asking?

I guess my derm just wants to kick my acne in the ass! get rid of it for good, you know? she even wanted to raise it to 60mg a day, but i had bone aches so i didn't want to. my skin's totally clear, though. i've been on it since december 30th.

Man, I want Accutane, but I'm scared to ask for it and I'm not sure if I even really need it for the type of acne I really have.

Has anyone just asked for Accutane and then they got put on it or did the doctor just prescribe it to you and that's all?

I'm on all these topicals but I feel like I'm wasting my time because I would rather be on tane because I have no fear of it.

Well I went to see my Derm in Dec 05 at that time she put me on Tetracyline and Tazorac cream. I saw very little results. 1 pimple would vanish and a new one would be born around the same spot. Also, every day the tetracycline would make me very sick to my stomach. After calling and complaining to my Derm I brought up Accutane which I had heard about it thru a co-worker and she did not question me at all. She send me the paper work for the blood test. 1 week later I payed her a visit, this was all in Feb 06, and I got my Tane that same day. How's your acne? Is it persistant?

Man, I want Accutane, but I'm scared to ask for it and I'm not sure if I even really need it for the type of acne I really have.

Has anyone just asked for Accutane and then they got put on it or did the doctor just prescribe it to you and that's all?

I'm on all these topicals but I feel like I'm wasting my time because I would rather be on tane because I have no fear of it.

you wouldnt know unless u try it...I was liek u and I am taking it...juts do it....ask your self is acne making u hold back on a lot of things if so juts go on accuatne

i've been going to the same derm for probably three or four years, so she's really familiar with my skin. she asked me years ago if i wanted to go on accutane, just so i never have to deal with acne again, so i can stop with my time consuming and energy sapping, stress creating rituals. i never really thought it was a good idea, and neither did my mother. my acne was always mild, a pimple or two here nothing major. i cleared up totally about a year and a half or two years ago, then i got to university. yuck. after a month i started breaking out, which lead to more stress which lead to more acne. i was eating nothing but junk, my sleep schedule was crazy, i was really homesick and stressed out, a major stressful personal event happened that i'd rather not talk about, and i drank too much and blah blah blah. basically, my acne came back with a vengeance. it was worse than it had EVER been. i was sick of it. finally. i didnt want to have to dela with it ever again, so i went to my derm and she said whats with your skin and i said i know, i think its time for accutane and she wrote the prescription right then and there. this was dec 30th, the day before all that ipledge silliness, so she gave it to me right away and i picked it up on the way home and took it right then and there. she knows me well enough to know i'm healthy enough to take it, and i'm really consciencious. i had a blood test the next morning.

anyway, the side effects i've had are:

-bone/muscle aches [i had this before tane, eased 99% by taking vit E]

-dry/chapped lips [i have this anyway, exfoliate and apply aquaphor]

-dry skin on face [exfoliate and use cetaphil]

-dry skin on body [baby oil gel after showers and aquaphor at night]

-fatigue [have this anyway, at least i have an excuse for it now!]

-terrrrible worlds worst hangovers [i need to stop drinking so much anyway...]

-possible worsening of anxiety/moodiness, but honestly i dont think it's related because i've had this for ages and it's been getting progessively worse since before i started on accutane.

-headaches if i don't drink enough water [good, because it forces me to drink hella water]

hope this helps?

I'm on the same boat as far as anxiety, moodiness, & even a few panic attacks in the past. I was actually on meds for the anxiety and the panic attacks and when I started taking Accutane I was somewhat nervous about the situation getting worst. I feel it's the same. The only difference now is that I have to deal with it a different way, without meds. Thanx for sharing your story with me. :) I find myself on this site every day now. Everyone is so helpful. Best of luck sehnsucht 67. Cheers to beautiful, clear skin! :D

i've been going to the same derm for probably three or four years, so she's really familiar with my skin. she asked me years ago if i wanted to go on accutane, just so i never have to deal with acne again, so i can stop with my time consuming and energy sapping, stress creating rituals. i never really thought it was a good idea, and neither did my mother. my acne was always mild, a pimple or two here nothing major. i cleared up totally about a year and a half or two years ago, then i got to university. yuck. after a month i started breaking out, which lead to more stress which lead to more acne. i was eating nothing but junk, my sleep schedule was crazy, i was really homesick and stressed out, a major stressful personal event happened that i'd rather not talk about, and i drank too much and blah blah blah. basically, my acne came back with a vengeance. it was worse than it had EVER been. i was sick of it. finally. i didnt want to have to dela with it ever again, so i went to my derm and she said whats with your skin and i said i know, i think its time for accutane and she wrote the prescription right then and there. this was dec 30th, the day before all that ipledge silliness, so she gave it to me right away and i picked it up on the way home and took it right then and there. she knows me well enough to know i'm healthy enough to take it, and i'm really consciencious. i had a blood test the next morning.

anyway, the side effects i've had are:

-bone/muscle aches [i had this before tane, eased 99% by taking vit E]

-dry/chapped lips [i have this anyway, exfoliate and apply aquaphor]

-dry skin on face [exfoliate and use cetaphil]

-dry skin on body [baby oil gel after showers and aquaphor at night]

-fatigue [have this anyway, at least i have an excuse for it now!]

-terrrrible worlds worst hangovers [i need to stop drinking so much anyway...]

-possible worsening of anxiety/moodiness, but honestly i dont think it's related because i've had this for ages and it's been getting progessively worse since before i started on accutane.

-headaches if i don't drink enough water [good, because it forces me to drink hella water]

hope this helps?