Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SkoolBus

Amber's Adult Acne Battle

I don't know how well I'm going to keep this up, but I thought I'd give keeping a log a shot.

Background info: I've had mild acne for about 15 years. In middle school it was just a couple of blackheads and the occasional pimple, but slowly those pimples multiplied though high school. Looking back, my skin still looked much better then, than it does now. My skin slowly cleared up and I thought acne was behind me when I reached my early and mid-20's. About a year ago....when I was 26, my skin slowly but surely, took a turn for the worse. Last spring I was clear, now my skin looks worse than it ever did. I have no idea what brought it on...hormones, stress, living arrangements, job, ? I'm not sure. I've been taking better care of my skin since I saw the first signs. It seems like my skin was the clearest when i treated it the worst. I don't understand. I'm being very careful, trying not to pick--but sometimes it's too hard to resist. I've got scars all over my cheeks...red marks, and much of my chin. My forehead and nose are almost completely clear, but my cheeks and chin are always erupting in new acne....lately especially around my jaw line. I've recently started a regimen based on Dan's but not following it closely enough to call it officially Dan's regimen...because I'm using different products, and only using BP once a day. I figure it can't hurt...and I've seen it work for so many people here....I've got nothing to lose.

I wish I would have started this log on Day1, but it's already about day 35. I've seen most of my larger pimples dry out, ...I had stripes of acne going diagnally up both cheeks in an almost perfect line. I've still got red marks there, but only one active zit!!! My chin has gotten worse though...I feel like the BP is pushing the pimples slowly down my face until they hit the no-man's land of my neck. My jawline is full of pimples in different stages...most of them are drying up now though...and I've got some flaky, scabbed ones that look like they'll be gone soon. My problem on the jawline is very large boil-like pimples that start out small, but get so big and sore they seem to disform my face and chin-line. I hate them the most because I feel like everyone I talk to is staring at my hideously mutated chin...much bigger on one side than the other. I usually try to drain those myself with a sterile needle...because otherwise they stick around forever and never seem to dry out on their own. They usually look horrible for a couple of days, but then dry up and slowly disappear. It's all I can think of to live with myself....

Skool~ First of all, thank you for posting on my album. I really appreciate all the posts on my album because they are extremely motivating. Which leads me to say, do try to keep up with this log. Coming here, logging your experiences, will keep you on the straight and narrow. And when you feel frustrated/ready to quit, we will help you the best we can. Good luck and stay with us!!!

Skool~ First of all, thank you for posting on my album. I really appreciate all the posts on my album because they are extremely motivating. Which leads me to say, do try to keep up with this log. Coming here, logging your experiences, will keep you on the straight and narrow. And when you feel frustrated/ready to quit, we will help you the best we can. Good luck and stay with us!!!

Thank you so much!!! It really makes me feel like I'm not alone...as corny as that sounds hehe.

Well....I've been on my regimen (Dan's but tweaked) for almost a month and a half now. Progress is slow but sure. I've stopped having horrible breakouts that seem to happen overnight. My cheeks are healing up. Right now I've just got a slightly dried-up sucker right smack-dab in the middle of my left cheek...on the opposite side and place of the one that just went away on my right cheek...looks kind of funny. It hurts and feels almost like a bruise...also has a purplish red tint to it...kind of like it IS bruised. Oh well...I can deal with that....It's that time of the month...and having just one big zit is definately livable. My cheeks still have loads of red marks, and my chin is getting over a quick and crazy breakout from just before my period hit...but otherwise things are looking up. I started using a different moisturizer, because this winter is just killing my skin...It's very thick and creamy and although the scent is a bit much (stinky carrots), it does feel like it's 'healing' the dry parts. It's Burt's Bees Carrot Day Creme and Burt's Bees stuff has always worked for me and been gentle overall...so I gave this a try. It's thicker than I thought it would be...so I'm not sure if I'll buy it again...but I'll see how it goes.

Also, today I'm using Vitamin E Oil on the rough patches and larger scars. I rub it in really good and my skin get's it's elasticity back....it works great on cracked skin from super dry moments. I had surgery to remove a tumor in my abdomen a few years ago and it left a nasty scar. I used Vitamin E Oil on it every day for almost a year (my surgeon recommended it)...and it almost completely disappeared..it's just a whitish 'stitches' type scar now...not raised and not purple like it was. I have used the Vitamin E Oil on other scars since, and on dry patches and it really works. Just hearing the word 'Oil' scares most people...but there are oils that are good for the skin...like emu oil, tea tree oil, and vitamin e oil....So far I haven't been breaking out any more than usual...I don't use it everyday..but I do use it to prevent, and improve, scarring.

Oh, I'm also using a mud mask today. It's from Avon....my mom gave it to me, so I'm going to give it a try. Masks usually make my skin look better for at least a day....which is worth it lol. The mud mask will hopefully also shrink my huge pores...*fingers crossed*

I've been doing great this week. I went to a wedding reception Friday night and my skin looked almost flawless with makeup (and dim lighting hehe) and I wanted to touch it all night because it felt smooth haha. But I resisted because I knew that would probably make matters worse. :shifty: I decided to nix that Burts Bees cream and use it only on extremely dry spots...it was way too thick. I took Dan's advice and went for the Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture (SPF 15) and wooo! I love it! I credit it with the aforementioned smoothness! I love Neutrogena! I also started using Mederma on my dark red spots (scars) because I have had luck with it in the past. The red spots are my main concern right now. My boyfriend asked me "When are those scabs going to go away?" He knows about my 'acne battle' and I corrected him...."They are not scabs, they are red marks" hehe. He means well. He's rooting for me. Off to moisturize!!!