Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Slurms McKenzie

My answer to Acne - it may help you!

This is what I've been doing for the last year or so to control my acne. Pease read it through, consider what I'm sayingand try it out for yourself! I'm not going to go into any complicated scientific reasoning for why this works, you can look up any details yourself!

Right then...a brief history first:

I'm a 25 year old male and have been suffering from acne since around 13. Throughout school and Uni it ruined my social life, and even affected my attendance at lectures and work etc. I was too ashamed to go out and quite frankly I wanted to die. I had lots of large pimples which would stay for days, sometimes it would look like I'd been punched. Once I left Uni I decided to try and finally get rid of my skin problems and have tried pretty much everything (I'm sure you have too). What I'm about to show you has cleard me up 99% although if I slip I tend to get a few spots, but these can be cleared up within a few days.

Before anyone says it, I have tried each step on its own, some are more effective than others but it's the whole system that seems to work nicely.

So, what's first?

I avoid sugar as much as possible - avoid refined sugars like the plague and try to minimise my natural sugar intake although these seem to have a far smaller impact. It's surprising how much sugar there is in processed foods, drinks and snacks - just take a look at the ingredients and if sugar is prominent then avoid!

I use clerasil ultra facewash (very good) and if I get a few spots I use clerasil ultra rapid action treatment cream. This is BY FAR the best topical treatment I have ever used, but I need to put it on in larger than suggested doses and morning and night.

My fresh fruit and veg intake has increased. I eat 5 portions of DIFFERENT fruit and veg a day. Juicing is a great way to get some of this, but you shouldn't get it all through juice. Try to only jiuce veg (carrots are my favourite, with spinach) as I feel fruit can be too sugary. Processed juices from bottles or cartons should be avoided! Only fresh juice made by you is worth drinking because when bottled it loses goodness quickly and needs to be pasturised or have additives added.

I take a multivitamin to help increase my nutrients and make up for anything I'm missing.

I exercise regularly (everyday),running OUTSIDE for fresh air, walking the dog and doing martial arts. This all helps to perk you up, as well as increase oxygen flow and help your skin.

I do take a couple of g of b5, although I know that this on it's own does not completely cure my acne. It is important to not take too much, and to also take a good vitamin B complex as well.

I now live in a clean environment, and change my bedshets a few times a week. This can make a large impact on skin quality.

I drink lots of water and gren tea - probably 2litres of water and 2-3 cups of tea.

I stopped smoking! This had a HUGE effect on my skin.

I try not to drink too much alcohol. If I go out then I'll drink a few beers, then onto vodka and diet coke because it has no sugar.

So, this is what I'm doing. It generally revolves around living a healthy lifestyle and being sensible with what you do to and put into your body. Any questions are welcome.

Hey, good for you! I pretty much avoid acne by avoiding sugar too.

im happy for u that u got ur acne under control!

i try to control it too avoiding sugar, but its hard to find somehting good and simple to eat at lunch... bread is refined starch = refined sugar

btw alcohol (wodka) = sugar too :) its everywheereee

so what's the link with sugar and acne again? You have to be allergic to sugar for it to break you out right? I've never tried to cut out sugar completely and I could definetly drink more water but clearisil sucks balls.

i try to control it too avoiding sugar, but its hard to find somehting good and simple to eat at lunch... bread is refined starch = refined sugar

Actually, I'd say the problems with most breads are:

a) They are made with bad oils (trans or rancid fats).

b) They have added sugar, and a big list of ingredients that I can't pronounce.

c) They have a lot of gluten (which is difficult to digest).

d) They have phytic acid (which prevents the absorption of certain minerals).

There are sprouted breads (Ezekiel bread) that don't have any of those, except maybe a small amount of gluten. I don't think you have to worry about the natural sugar in carbohydrates.

Grrr... Vodka = sugar....nooo!! Oh well, I'm sure I can make an exception!

I don't seem to have a problem with breads and such (and I eat it everyday), my main problem seems to be heavily refined sugars such as sweets and soft drinks. I'm not allergic, they just help to break me out!

I must stress it's not just all about the sugar, a nice healthy lifestyle avoiding processed foods and getting exercise is a big part too.

And I LOVE futurama, I just wish I was as cool as Slurms, and could afford the boxed sets!

smoking... this might be my waterloo since I'm real good about EVERYTHING ELSE....

also overwashing lately, most likely, plus being all obsessed about the issue to begin with-