Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It seems to be everybody's first choice and seemingly "easy way out" is Accutane. Most people know it is dangerous but do not take these things into consideration.

Birth defects. Accutane can cause birth defects (deformed babies) if taken by a pregnant woman. It can also cause miscarriage (losing the baby before birth), premature (early) birth, or death of the baby. Do not take Accutane if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while you are taking Accutane. Do not get pregnant for 1 month after you stop taking Accutane. Also, if you get pregnant while taking Accutane, stop taking it right away and call your prescriber.

Mental problems and suicide. Some patients, while taking Accutane or soon after stopping Accutane, have become depressed or developed other serious mental problems. Symptoms of these problems include sad, "anxious" or empty mood, irritability, anger, loss of pleasure or interest in social or sports activities, sleeping too much or too little, changes in weight or appetite, school or work performance going down, or trouble concentrating. Some patients taking Accutane have had thoughts about hurting themselves or putting an end to their own lives (suicidal thoughts). Some people tried to end their own lives. And some people have ended their own lives. There were reports that some of these people did not appear depressed. No one knows if Accutane caused these behaviors or if they would have happened even if the person did not take Accutane.

Serious brain problems. Accutane can increase the pressure in your brain. This can lead to permanent loss of sight, or in rare cases, death. Stop taking Accutane and call your prescriber right away if you get any of these signs of increased brain pressure: bad headache, blurred vision, dizziness, nausea, or vomiting. Also, some patients taking Accutane have had seizures (convulsions) or stroke.

Abdomen (stomach area) problems. Certain symptoms may mean that your internal organs are being damaged. These organs include the liver, pancreas, bowel (intestines), and esophagus (connection between mouth and stomach). If your organs are damaged, they may not get better even after you stop taking Accutane. Stop taking Accutane and call your prescriber if you get severe stomach, chest or bowel pain, trouble swallowing or painful swallowing, new or worsening heartburn, diarrhea, rectal bleeding, yellowing of your skin or eyes, or dark urine.

Bone and muscle problems. Accutane may affect bones, muscles, and ligaments and cause pain in your joints or muscles. Tell your prescriber if you plan vigorous physical activity during treatment with Accutane. Tell your prescriber if you develop pain, particularly back pain or joint pain. There are reports that some patients have had stunted growth after taking Accutane for acne as directed. There are also some reports of broken bones or reduced healing of broken bones after taking Accutane for acne as directed. No one knows if taking Accutane for acne will affect your bones. If you have a broken bone, tell your provider that you are taking Accutane. Muscle weakness with or without pain can be a sign of serious muscle damage. If this happens, stop taking Accutane and call your prescriber right away.

Hearing problems. Some people taking Accutane have developed hearing problems. It is possible that hearing loss can be permanent. Stop using Accutane and call your prescriber if your hearing gets worse or if you have ringing in your ears.

Vision problems. While taking Accutane you may develop a sudden inability to see in the dark, so driving at night can be dangerous. This condition usually clears up after you stop taking Accutane, but it may be permanent. Other serious eye effects can occur. Stop taking Accutane and call your prescriber right away if you have any problems with your vision or dryness of the eyes that is painful or constant.

Lipid (fats and cholesterol in blood) problems. Many people taking Accutane develop high levels of cholesterol and other fats in their blood. This can be a serious problem. Return to your prescriber for blood tests to check your lipids and to get any needed treatment. These problems generally go away when Accutane treatment is finished.

Allergic reactions. In some people, Accutane can cause serious allergic reactions. Stop taking Accutane and get emergency care right away if you develop hives, a swollen face or mouth, or have trouble breathing. Stop taking Accutane and call your prescriber if you develop a fever, rash, or red patches or bruises on your legs.

Signs of other possibly serious problems. Accutane may cause other problems. Tell your prescriber if you have trouble breathing (shortness of breath), are fainting, are very thirsty or urinate a lot, feel weak, have leg swelling, convulsions, slurred speech, problems moving, or any other serious or unusual problems. Frequent urination and thirst can be signs of blood sugar problems.

Of course some side effects are less severe but I wouldn't take a chance. I think becoming deaf is far worse than having some cysts on your face. Though i know acne can be a pin, Accutane is not your 1 stop solution. Not only is Accutane expensive, but just about everyone who has taken Accutane had to get off it at one point or another, and had everything come back. If you want to get rid of acne so bad I suggest looking up naturual cures, which I am starting fully very soon, I have started some diet changes and such slightly for a short period of time but already notice a difference in my skin. Anyway, what I'm saying is, there is nothing worse out there than Accutane (other than searing hot acid and radioactive chemicals..haha) and using it is extremely dangerous.

People know accutane can be harmful, its just they dont care.

People know smoking can kill u, its just they dont care.

I would do anything to clear my face, and right now im not so sure being deaf is worse then having a shitted on face. In today's society, appearance is everything. Not 1 person on this board has taken accutane and committed suicided, become deaf, had a retarded kid, etc. so im pretty sure its not all that bad or else docs wouldnt prescribe it. This is just another negative accutane post, what else is new on this board?

I would do anything to clear my face, and right now im not so sure being deaf is worse then having a shitted on face. In today's society, appearance is everything. Not 1 person on this board has taken accutane and committed suicided, become deaf, had a retarded kid, etc. so im pretty sure its not all that bad or else docs wouldnt prescribe it. This is just another negative accutane post, what else is new on this board?

There are so many alternatives to accutane, no one wants to do anything but a quick fix. People are to damn lazy to type some words into a freaking search engine and look for things that wont actually kill their organs. People are to lazy to do a little research. People seem to forget that your skin is an organ to and should be treated with as much care as your kidneys or liver.

And yes it is another negative Accutane post, what do you expect?

And not to be terribly rude, but how would you know if someone didn't commit suicide off of Accutane? I think after someone commits suicide, they cant very well get on the board and tell everyone "dont take Accutane because it made me blow my brains out."

And, how can you sit there and say doctors and dermatoligists woudn't prescribe it if it wasn't bad for you? Everybody knows derms and doctors are a bunch of idiots half the time. They all want your money. Doctors have been known to unknowingly give patients medications for simple problems and then they end up dying from the side effects. Furthermore, there is a little something called malpractice. My grandfather died of it, doctors don't always know whats right and wrong, they aren't gods that can fix all of your problems. I'm not knocking doctors but you cannot say that just because something isn't perfectly safe, a doctor won't prescribe it.

You have to weigh the personal pro's and con's. What if someone is becoming suicical due to there acne and accutane is a glimmer of hope. Also, your posts sound as if you've been negatively affected by accutane or someone you know has been negatively affected by accutane.

You have to weigh the personal pro's and con's. What if someone is becoming suicical due to there acne and accutane is a glimmer of hope. Also, your posts sound as if you've been negatively affected by accutane or someone you know has been negatively affected by accutane.

I myself have never used Accutane. But i do know a few people who did. One was my sister, she had perfectly functioing kidneys before Accutane. She was feeling quite sick for a few days and then within hours she was very weak and basicially unable to move, so we took her to the hospital and they said her kidneys were failing and they suspected Accutane was the culprit. She spent several weeks in the hospital. Thankfully healthy now, but she quit the Accutane. My best friend was an avid track racer, she was very successful in it. About 6 months aftter starting Accutane, her joints were constantly sore and it was painful to run. She had to quit track. She quickly cquit Accutane after I showed her it could be the culprit. Both my sister and friend resorted to naturual cures and now their skin is so beautiful, 100% clear. Their "breakouts" now are 2-3 pimples and they get breakouts maybe once or twice a month, and their breakouts clear up within 2 or 3 days. I am so jealous of their skin that i am starting my naturual switch starting tomorrow. =)

I myself have never used Accutane. But i do know a few people who did. One was my sister, she had perfectly functioing kidneys before Accutane. She was feeling quite sick for a few days and then within hours she was very weak and basicially unable to move, so we took her to the hospital and they said her kidneys were failing and they suspected Accutane was the culprit. She spent several weeks in the hospital. Thankfully healthy now, but she quit the Accutane. My best friend was an avid track racer, she was very successful in it. About 6 months aftter starting Accutane, her joints were constantly sore and it was painful to run. She had to quit track. She quickly cquit Accutane after I showed her it could be the culprit. Both my sister and friend resorted to naturual cures and now their skin is so beautiful, 100% clear. Their "breakouts" now are 2-3 pimples and they get breakouts maybe once or twice a month, and their breakouts clear up within 2 or 3 days. I am so jealous of their skin that i am starting my naturual switch starting tomorrow. =)

No offense, but if the natural cures worked so well, then they shouldn't have been on accutane in the first place(Accutane is a last resort medicine, so either she went through all the other stuff and it didn't work, or the derm messed up). I know when I got my accutane I had to read about the side-effects and then sign the sheet. The warning booklet also said that if you experience stomach pains, to stop taking accutane and go to the doctor. So unless the trip to the hospital was instintanious(sp), some of the blame should be on her. Glad to hear your friends and family are ok, but it just seems like you have only seen the bad side of accutane.

No offense, but if the natural cures worked so well, then they shouldn't have been on accutane in the first place(Accutane is a last resort medicine, so either she went through all the other stuff and it didn't work, or the derm messed up). I know when I got my accutane I had to read about the side-effects and then sign the sheet. The warning booklet also said that if you experience stomach pains, to stop taking accutane and go to the doctor. So unless the trip to the hospital was instintanious(sp), some of the blame should be on her. Glad to hear your friends and family are ok, but it just seems like you have only seen the bad side of accutane.

Sure, she should have gone to the doctor, we assumed it was the flu at first since my mother had gotten and so did I. The reason she went on Accutane before trying the naturual cures is because the derm told my sister and my friend also, "that diet does not cause acne, it will not help your skin a bit."

I am not knocking the results of accutane, I understand it changes people's lives. I'm trying to bring the side effects and such to people's attention, because all you ever hear on these boards is "I want Accutane, it will make things better" because they are to lazy to do a little research, they think it is a quick fix with no serious side effects. They don't seem to realize it is a DANGEROUS drug. I am just trying to inform people that are considering taking this or think it is a simple quick fix.

Sure, she should have gone to the doctor, we assumed it was the flu at first since my mother had gotten and so did I. The reason she went on Accutane before trying the naturual cures is because the derm told my sister and my friend also, "that diet does not cause acne, it will not help your skin a bit."

I am not knocking the results of accutane, I understand it changes people's lives. I'm trying to bring the side effects and such to people's attention, because all you ever hear on these boards is "I want Accutane, it will make things better" because they are to lazy to do a little research, they think it is a quick fix with no serious side effects. They don't seem to realize it is a DANGEROUS drug. I am just trying to inform people that are considering taking this or think it is a simple quick fix.

Im reading your posts while taking my daily Accutane pills and I feel great. Just thought you should know

There are so many alternatives to accutane, no one wants to do anything but a quick fix. People are to damn lazy to type some words into a freaking search engine and look for things that wont actually kill their organs. People are to lazy to do a little research. People seem to forget that your skin is an organ to and should be treated with as much care as your kidneys or liver.

And yes it is another negative Accutane post, what do you expect?

And not to be terribly rude, but how would you know if someone didn't commit suicide off of Accutane? I think after someone commits suicide, they cant very well get on the board and tell everyone "dont take Accutane because it made me blow my brains out."

And, how can you sit there and say doctors and dermatoligists woudn't prescribe it if it wasn't bad for you? Everybody knows derms and doctors are a bunch of idiots half the time. They all want your money. Doctors have been known to unknowingly give patients medications for simple problems and then they end up dying from the side effects. Furthermore, there is a little something called malpractice. My grandfather died of it, doctors don't always know whats right and wrong, they aren't gods that can fix all of your problems. I'm not knocking doctors but you cannot say that just because something isn't perfectly safe, a doctor won't prescribe it.

You sound like a very ignorant person.

I was going to reply with a more thought-out post but then I realized that you don't deserve it. You seem to be making baseless assumptions about Accutane users so I have no problem making the above assumption about you.

Oh, and reading your following posts, don't you think it is possible that your friend and sister cleared because of the Accutane?

Once you find the magic natural cure why don't you let me know and I'll split the profits with you.

saying we are all too lazy to try anything else is a stretch.

ive had acne for ten years, and yeah ive done every fuckin diet there is, vitamin there is, all the ridiculous home remedies, all the topical washes they have at a chemist and every other thing a doctor can prescribe. ive tried to alter my lifestyle in every way, but some people have acne, and they need medicine to fix it.

theres no evidence that accutane actually makes people depressed, when there are tens of thousands of people taking it, odds are some are going to commit suicide, regardless of the medication. i find having acne for ten years more depressing.

in your first post you list the symptoms to just about every sickness known to man, and then as soon as one of them pops up, you would accuse accutane. why condemn everyone taking accutane and say they should be taking the natural route... there is a whole forum full of people trying natural things, the fact that people keep posting in there shows that they haven't got anywhere. sure, the natural stuff might cure your acne if the cause of your acne is a bad diet or something similar, but there are other causes of acne that you have closed your mind to.

as for your friend running track, sore joints are a known side effect, she was silly to think she could have her cake and eat it too. i put up with sore joints because its more important to me to have clear skin than to be able to run long distances.

To the original poster: you are entitled to your opinion, but how dare you call us lazy?! I did more research in the half of my life (that's right, I said half of my life) I've had acne and NOTHING worked, except accutane. I tried everything, including natural cures to no avail. In addition, so called "natural cures" can be dangerous since they aren't regulated at all. All of us who choose to take accutane are well aware of the risks associated with it. Just an FYI, you aren't stumbling onto any unchartered territory with your warnings of the risks - we already know. :rolleyes:

If you are so clear, why are you in the prescription section of the board?

You do realize we have a separate section devoted to natural healing to all those who are interested...? I think you'd be more welcome there, since your posts in here are just provocative and insulting.

It is amazing how much I can hate somone and want to kick them in the face and have never even met them.

Wow, people are scary.

those people you mentioned probably didnt take all the supliments which reduce side effects posibilities

That's what I think as well about many of them. However, I think some of those nasty side effects can still happen to a few people despite following all the rules.

Please everyone don't jump on me, I never meant to offend anyone, I just wanted to let anyone who didnt do research or were simply looking for a quick fix to know how serious it was and to be careful.

I never said I wad clear, nor am i on Accutane xD

Accutane is not a quick fix. It can take a couple of months to actually kick in. And given the new iPledge system, Accutane is not an easy drug to get. I don't doubt that most Accutane users know (and firsthand, too) about the side-effects of the drug. If you do not believe in Rxns for acne, start a homeopathy thread instead of criticizing people that are taking a last resort drug so they can lead happy, healthy, normal lives.

Ok guys before you read what i just posted, I'm not dumping on Accutane, I just thought it was interesting. I know all drug companies have all kinds of behind-the-scene crap going on. I just thought I'd post it since it was related to accutane.

And again, I never dumped on the RESULTS people get on Accutane, and the people who truly need it. I understand it 100%. I'm dumping on the people who have bad acne that find Accutane to be an easy way out, instead of a serious drug and will do anything to get thier hands on it before they look for any other alternatives. For example, I know quite a few people on this board that are like "ohh yeah clean and clear never worked for me, I'm going to go see if I get Accutane from my derm" That is what frusterates me. Those are the kind of people who are lazy and ignorant, as you guys have called me =) haha

Accutane is a product by Roche.

here's a little information about Roche.

Roche manufacture a range of products and provide various services mainly in the Pharmaceuticals, Diagnostics, Vitamins and Fine Chemicals industries.

They are a big customer of HLS.

Sarah Kite exposed a number of Roche studies when she worked undercover at HLS in Cambridgeshire, UK. In one test for a drug Roche were looking to produce and sell she witnessed rats in a very poor state: “2 rats were isolated, but extremely large and in a very poor condition, lethargic, wet, greasy fur, pilo-erection [fur stood on end] – a very sad, pitiful sight. Rats in cages 39 and 89 were bleeding. I found large amounts of blood under their cages�

In another Roche study mice were being used, Sarah made the following observations:

“ hunched posture, swollen abdomen, watch number 33, large mass on head�.

In yet another study, this time for the food colouring Canthaxanthin, which was used in colouring the flesh of salmon and trout and also used in sun tanning pills. Sarah observed:

"Effects included lethargy, hair standing on end, swollen necks and abdomens. Those given high doses had orange fur and tails, with brick red faeces and urine." The substance was considered so harmful that the staff cleaning out the animal's pens had to wear oxygen suits. Canthaxanthin was banned at the beginning of December 1988 by the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food (MAFF) yet HLS were still happily poisoning animals with it months later.

Roche were also responsible for the deaths of 64 monkeys in one study alone at HLS in Suffolk, UK.

you can check out the video from inside huntingdon life sciences with the link below. when you click it, just go to the link that says watch footage from inside HLS, and right click.

http://www.shac.net/MERCHANDISE/videos.html

Ok guys before you read what i just posted, I'm not dumping on Accutane, I just thought it was interesting. I know all drug companies have all kinds of behind-the-scene crap going on. I just thought I'd post it since it was related to accutane.

And again, I never dumped on the RESULTS people get on Accutane, and the people who truly need it. I understand it 100%. I'm dumping on the people who have bad acne that find Accutane to be an easy way out, instead of a serious drug and will do anything to get thier hands on it before they look for any other alternatives. For example, I know quite a few people on this board that are like "ohh yeah clean and clear never worked for me, I'm going to go see if I get Accutane from my derm" That is what frusterates me. Those are the kind of people who are lazy and ignorant, as you guys have called me =) haha

Accutane is a product by Roche.

here's a little information about Roche.

Roche manufacture a range of products and provide various services mainly in the Pharmaceuticals, Diagnostics, Vitamins and Fine Chemicals industries.

They are a big customer of HLS.

Sarah Kite exposed a number of Roche studies when she worked undercover at HLS in Cambridgeshire, UK. In one test for a drug Roche were looking to produce and sell she witnessed rats in a very poor state: “2 rats were isolated, but extremely large and in a very poor condition, lethargic, wet, greasy fur, pilo-erection [fur stood on end] – a very sad, pitiful sight. Rats in cages 39 and 89 were bleeding. I found large amounts of blood under their cages�

In another Roche study mice were being used, Sarah made the following observations:

“ hunched posture, swollen abdomen, watch number 33, large mass on head�.

In yet another study, this time for the food colouring Canthaxanthin, which was used in colouring the flesh of salmon and trout and also used in sun tanning pills. Sarah observed:

"Effects included lethargy, hair standing on end, swollen necks and abdomens. Those given high doses had orange fur and tails, with brick red faeces and urine." The substance was considered so harmful that the staff cleaning out the animal's pens had to wear oxygen suits. Canthaxanthin was banned at the beginning of December 1988 by the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food (MAFF) yet HLS were still happily poisoning animals with it months later.

Roche were also responsible for the deaths of 64 monkeys in one study alone at HLS in Suffolk, UK.

you can check out the video from inside huntingdon life sciences with the link below. when you click it, just go to the link that says watch footage from inside HLS, and right click.

http://www.shac.net/MERCHANDISE/videos.html

What is the stock symbol for Roche. That research seems promising and Id like to buy the stock.

What is the stock symbol for Roche. That research seems promising and Id like to buy the stock.

lol..of course..I don't know about you but rats with tumors are always a surefire thing xD

Ok well, honestly, you must not know what most people have to go through to get accutane.

I tried just about everything else, for 2 years with no results.

Finally, they gave me a huge booklet and made me read through the whole thing which covers what you said x10 into detail. Then they made me sign waivers and forms, and take blood tests.

Damn was that the smartest thing I've ever done.