Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hvatum

A Meticulous Approach - Recommendations for a good exfoliant...

Hi,

I'm tired of having this latent mild acne. My skin heals slowly which combined with my pale skin only makes my mild acne seem in appearence worse. I've done one treatment with Accutane which helped, I don't plan to do a second. Right now I'm using:

Clindagel: Topical Antibiotic

Tazorac: Drying, similiar to Retin-A cream.

First I'm going to address my current occasional breakout. I'm willing to try as many alternate treatments as necassary, starting with the most promising looking ones.

To start off, does anyone have a recommendaiton for smell-less moisterizer? I've used Cetaphil a few times before but I don't find the smell pleasent and found it also a bit too heavy. Any of you know of a light moisterizer which won't make my skin look shiny? Also, how necassary is an SPF if you're not on Accutane or an ingested Antibiotic?

Thanks! PS. I realize this is a long term endevour. I plan to spend at least six months if not more finding something which works very well.

With tazorac you need to apply at least spf 15 every day because it thins the outer layer of your skin, and will make it more sensitive to sun damage. You won't find an spf that won't make you look at least a little shiny. Just use a blot sheet afterwards, and that will take carre of the shininess (i like clean and clear blot papers).

You should ALWAYS wear SPF, IMO. I just switched to Dove Deep Moisture with SPF 15, which I love. It's still a bit greasy, but nowhere near as bad as other SPF moisturizers I've tried. From what I've heard, Dove is generally a good brand of moisturizer ...less greasy than Neutrogena or Cetaphil. I've also heard good things about Aveeno, but wasn't able to find one at my local pharmacy with SPF.

You should ALWAYS wear SPF, IMO. I just switched to Dove Deep Moisture with SPF 15, which I love. It's still a bit greasy, but nowhere near as bad as other SPF moisturizers I've tried. From what I've heard, Dove is generally a good brand of moisturizer ...less greasy than Neutrogena or Cetaphil. I've also heard good things about Aveeno, but wasn't able to find one at my local pharmacy with SPF.

Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out tomorrow when I get a chance to go shopping. The greasyness of the Cetaphil is almost tolerable, so it sounds like the dove moisterizer would be a good choice.

SOme people will break out with spf's in their moisturizer (myself included); so I am using non spf moisturizer. However, my makeup has spf and that makes up for the lack of it in my moisturizer. I have yet to find anything I like better than Neutrogena Sensitive skin Moisturizer. It is oil free, fragrance free, hypoallergenic, noncomedogenic, and non-greasy.

I actually have to look for moisturizers without an spf and that can be hard. I appreciate what skin care companies are doing, but for those of us that are sensitive to sun screen; it can be troublesome. Hope this helps

SOme people will break out with spf's in their moisturizer (myself included); so I am using non spf moisturizer. However, my makeup has spf and that makes up for the lack of it in my moisturizer. I have yet to find anything I like better than Neutrogena Sensitive skin Moisturizer. It is oil free, fragrance free, hypoallergenic, noncomedogenic, and non-greasy.

I actually have to look for moisturizers without an spf and that can be hard. I appreciate what skin care companies are doing, but for those of us that are sensitive to sun screen; it can be troublesome. Hope this helps

Thanks for the tip, I've written it down so I can try it if the Dove Deep moisterizer gives me trouble. So far it seems good buuutt it might still cause problems. I already notice a significant difference in irritation though. I previously had what I guess were whole areas of skin that were slightly redish from the Tazorac. Now they seemed to have calmed down and my face has less of a redish tinge. :)

Once I've stuck with the Dove for a week or so I'll start investigating exfoiliants. Even though this is just a moisterizer I'm still going to give it the same testing time as I would other medicines. I want to know exactly what treatments are effective for me and which ones I should avoid - so that means adding one treatment at a time.

Ok, the Dove Deep moisterizer is working wonderfully. It hasn't caused any breakouts or any trouble at all, my skin has also lost the redish tinge (it was irritated!) and no longer gets flakes at all.

Now I'm researching exfoliants. I'd prefer something which is applied like a mask and then rubbed off as those seem to be more effective. I'm open to anything though. Just something to get rid of all the gunk and the like which can cause acne. Of course I don't want anything too strong or that might itself irritate my skin and cause breakouts. You guys have any recommendations?

Thanks again for all the help!