Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Olive_Leaf

Can a wheat allergy do this to you?

This is not about acne but I was wondering if someone could help me out, this is really embarrassing :redface::ninja: I started to get this stuff about 3 weeks ago, it started on my arms and moved to my tummy and back. I’ve been googleing it for the last 3 weeks and I can not find anything that looks like it. I’ve been trying to think if I have done anything different over the last 3 week, maybe went to a new place, eat new food. The only think that I can think of is, I’ve been trying to build some muscles, so I’ve stated to eat seitan (it’s made for wheat protein) I was wondering if anyone know if an wheat allergies could do this to your skin. It’s kind of funny I used to think that ANYTHING would be better then acne, and man was I wrong, for me this is way worse! I’ve had acne for about 8 years and I’ve only went to a Doc for it one time, I’ve had this shit for 3 weeks and I’m going to the Doc for it on Monday :boohoo:

post-26923-1141480273_thumb.jpg

post-26923-1141480273_thumb.jpg

yeah, thats what I'm thinking, but I don't know :( I've looked up hives, but have not found anything that looks like it...

Seitan is PURE Wheat Gluten.

People that are Celiacs/Gluten Intolerant can have both internal reactions as well as external skin reactions. The skin reactions are known as Dermatitis Herpetiformis or DH.

Dermatitis herpetiformis (DH) was first described as a distinct clinical entity in 1884 by an American dermatologist, Louis Duhring. The name was descriptive, dermatitis being inflammation of the skin and herpetiformis meaning group. The typical features are small grouped itchy blisters, often on red plaques, situated on the back of the elbows and forearms, buttocks and front of the knees. Although these are the common sites the rash may in addition, occur anywhere on the body including face, scalp and trunk. The eruption is extremely itchy and may keep patients awake at night.

DH may be present at any age but most commonly begins between the ages of 15-40. It is slightly more common in men than females at a ratio of 3:2. DH is a persistent condition and only approximately 10% of patients have a spontaneous permanent remission. It is a rare disease in the UK with the incidence being approximately 1:15,000. http://www.dermatitisherpetiformis.org.uk/whatisdh.html

Thanks SweetJade1980 your info is real helpful, you all ways seem so knowledgeable when I read your post. I does sound like it, but the "small grouped itchy blisters" does not sound like it. The only other things that I can think of that I have done differently is I started eating goat dairy (but that was about 5-6 weeks ago) and I went to a new pool house, and I started to lifting weights. That is all I can think of. I was also thinking that maybe a bug/spider or something like that bite me. I've stopped eating seitan, so I'll see if that helps anything. Thanks again for the info

Hi Olive Leaf,

Don't know if this helps but about 6 wks ago I had a similar type rash on my trunk, tummy and legs which I thought was hives but after about 2 wks of it getting worse I went to the Drs. The Dr said it was pityriasis which is a viral infection of unknown cause. She said it couldn't really be treated and that it would go away on it's own.

If it turns out to be this don't worry it did go away although it was a worry for a time. If it is viral your good namesake, olive leaf is good as well as lysine.

Hope you find out what it is and can get some relief :)

hay thinks for the info, I guess I'll find out today what it is (hopefully they’ll know :pray:) if it is pityriasis how long does it take to go away? How much olive leaf and lysine do you take?

I sometimes get reactions like that from hot tubs. As long as I stay away from the hot tub, it usually goes away after a couple of weeks. I'm guessing it's from the chlorine or other chemicals they put in hot tubs and pools. There are also sometimes viruses in hot tubs and pools that cause reactions in some people.

It could possibly be from your pool house.

I'd say it took about a month to disappear, a naturapath (sp?) I know told me to take those and she would send me a free bottle of lysine. It got lost in the mail and finally arrived in time when the rash had gone. So in the end I didn't do anything. But I'm taking the lysine now because I had a cold sore a few months ago and what with this rash it indicates an impaired immune system.

Are you stressed at all. The body can do strange things when you are (incluidng acne) or even when you have been and finally relax, your body lets down it's defences.

Hope you had some luck today :)

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Yes. I'm allergic to Yeast & Wheat. When i was about 7, i broke out in a rash like that. I was given Plantaine ointment by a naturopath, it cleared up within days. Obviously, since then, i've observed a diet free of Wheat & Yeast.

~shortcake~ You hit the nail in the head, she took one look at me and said “Oh my, wow….wow� and told me that it was pityriasis, it’s a relief to know what it is. She said that it can last up to 12 weeks! I’m taking olive leaf, hopefully that will help speed along the healing process. Yeah I am under some stress right now, don’t really know how to deal with it :shrug: Oh it was kind of funny when I went to the Doc’s office the nurse was like “so are you here today for the doctor to look at your acne?� I was like “no, just the lesions� we talked a little more then she asked me again if I wanted the doctor to look at my acne. I told her again that I was there just for the lesions and then I showed her my arm. She took one look and said “oh, I’ll go get the doctor now…� and my acne is about 90% better mostly red marks now lol.

~HralthDude~ lol sorry I was talking about the game pool, next time I’ll be more clear. :wall:

~Grow to overthrow~ aww that’s to bad, can you eat spelt flour? Or is it too closely related to wheat?

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

~Grow to overthrow~ aww that’s to bad, can you eat spelt flour? Or is it too closely related to wheat?

Spelt Flour is fine. :D