Notifications
Clear all

ACNE = CHLORODERMA !? HALOGENODERMA?

MemberMember
(@jay_68)

Posted : 03/04/2006 4:09 am

Water chlorination is probably the major cause of acne... We drink chlorinated tap water and have bath in it... (actually the problem is showering in tap water... it is more dangerous)

Chlorine and chlorinated organic compounds are cumulating in our body. Check the net if you have doubts... Use the word "organochlorines". Have you heared about DDT? Dioxin? Different pesticides???

We try to purify drinking water with adding chlorine... it destroys all bacteria, but very dangerous to the human body as well...

Another potentially dangerous halogen is fluoride in your tap water (not everywhere) and your toothpaste.

Iodine can also play a role in the development of acne, although we definately need it, try to avoid iodinated salt.

If anybody is interested in the details, mail me...

MemberMember
(@veen)

Posted : 03/04/2006 11:49 am

are you stupid.... people without acne drink and shower the same water as people with acne

MemberMember
(@jay_68)

Posted : 03/04/2006 1:57 pm

are you stupid.... people without acne drink and shower the same water as people with acne

very good argument... I think it was a very bad idea to come here to this forum.

probably you never heared about gene polymorphism. We eliminate toxical agents differently. For example somebody can drink a bottle of vodka without problems... someone else can even die of a little amount of alcohol.

We are simply different. Understand?

MemberMember
(@jay_68)

Posted : 03/04/2006 2:11 pm

Showering in Tap Water

Should You Bathe in BLEACH?

Why filter Your Shower Water?

Chlorine is a toxic chemical. It is used in water treatment to reduce and kill forms of biological agents, such as bacteria and viruses found in water systems. Chlorine is harmful to you when you drink it and when it is absorbed into our skin and inhaled into your lungs when you shower. It has been estimated that the "shower steam" in your bathroom can contain up to 100 times the amount of chlorine than the water, because chlorine evaporates out of water at a relatively low temperature. If you bathe or shower in unfiltered tap water you are inhaling and absorbing chlorine into your body.

Conditions contributed to or aggravated by chlorine exposure:

AA Respiratory Conditions (nose, throat, lungs, sinuses): Asthma, bronchitis

AA Hair: Dry, brittle

AA Skin: Dry, flaking, dandruff, itching, rashes (especially with infants and children)

AA Eyes conditions

Chlorine is universally used to chemically disinfect water. It kills germs, bacteria and other living organisms. Chlorine readily passes through the cell wall and attaches to the fatty acids of the cell, disrupting the life sustaining functions. The human body is composed of billions of cells. Most people are aware that the quality of their drinking water can be improved by filtering their tap water or buying bottled water. However, many do not realize that they are addressing only a part of the problem.

One half of our daily chlorine exposure is from showering. Chlorine is not only absorbed through the skin, but also re-vaporized in the shower, inhaled into the lungs, and transferred directly into the blood system. In fact, the chlorine exposure from one shower is equal to an entire day's amount of drinking the same water. Drinking filtered or bottled water only does half the job. For people who are concerned about their health and are willing to take the responsibility to do something about it, the Sprite Shower Filter is an affordable solution to the problem.

Showering in Chlorinated Water: Quotes from Respected Authorities

Americans are becoming more aware of the contaminants in our nation's water supplies and many are installing water filters to purify their drinking water. Yet most continue to bathe and shower straight from the tap, unaware that inhaling unfiltered shower vapors (steam) is more harmful than actually drinking the water itself. During a shower, toxic chloroform evaporates into the surrounding air you breathe. In addition, The Center for Study of Responsive Law's, Troubled Water on Tap report, states that over 2,100 contaminants have been found in drinking water. Of those 2,100, 190 are known to cause adverse health effects. In total, 97 carcinogens, 82 mutagens and suspected mutagens (cause cell mutations), 23 tumor promoters and 28 acute and chronic toxic contaminants have been detected in U.S. drinking water. According to East West magazine, consumers should purchase shower head filters which remove chlorine and other contaminants to prevent exposure to chloroform [and other toxic substances]."

-Center for Study of Responsive Law, Consumers Research Magazine, East West, July 1989.

"A long, hot shower can be dangerous. The toxic chemicals are inhaled in high concentrations."

- Bottom Line - August 1987, J Andelman, Ph. D.

"We conclude that skin absorption of contaminants in drinking water has been underestimated and that ingestion may not constitute the sole or even primary route of exposure."

-American Journal of Public Health, May, 1984, Vol. 74, No. 5

"Ironically, even the Chlorine widely used to disinfect water produces Carcinogenic traces. Studies indicate the suspect chemicals can also be inhaled and absorbed through the skin during showering and bathing."

- U. S. News & World Report - 29 July 1991, Is your Water Safe - The Dangerous State of Your Water

"Taking showers is a health risk, according to research presented last week in a meeting of the American Chemical Society. Showers - and to a lesser extent baths - lead to a greater exposure to toxic chemicals contained in water supplies than does drinking water. The chemicals evaporate out of the water and are inhaled. They can also spread through the house and be inhaled by others."

- New Scientist -18 September 1986, Ian Anderson

"Studies have documented the presence in the drinking water of many potentially toxic volatile organic chemicals (VOC's)- from chloroform and pesticides to carbon tetrachloride. Such findings have spurred investigations into the inhalation hazards these compounds may pose when released in the air during baths and showers. However, because shower and tub equipment, as well as other design features, differed widely in these experiments, air releases for a single VOC could vary up to 10-fold from one studied system to another."

-John C. Little, Lawrence Berkeley (California) Laboratory, Science News, August 15, 1992

"The steamy air of a shower contains significant amounts of a least two cancer-causing chemicals that evaporate out of water."

-J Andelman, Professor of Water Chemistry, University of Pittsburgh

"Almost two decades have passed since known or suspected human carcinogens were first found in municipal water supplies. One of them, chloroform, produced by the chlorination process, exposes millions of Americans. The potential for a major public health problem is unquestionably there, and yet, progress has been slow."

-Dr. Peter Isacson, M.D., Professor of Epidemiology, Department of Preventive Medicine, University of Iowa College of Medicine

"Skin absorption of contaminant has been underestimated and ingestion may not constitute the sole or even primary route of exposure."

- American Journal of-Public Health - Dr. Halina Brown

"Showering is suspected as the primary cause of elevated of chloroform in nearly every home because of the chlorine in the water. Chloroform [a known carcinogen] levels increase up to 100 times during a ten-minute shower in residential water"

- Environmental Protection Agency - Dr. Lance Wallace

"I tell my friends to take quick, cold showers", said Julian B. Andelman, Professor of Water Chemistry, University of Pittsburgh, who claimed that the longer and hotter the shower, the more chemicals build up in the air.

San Jose Mercury News, September 11, 1986

"Many investigators have reported on the toxicity and unexpected high penetration rates of volatile organic chemicals."

-American Journal of Public Health

"A Professor of Water Chemistry at the University of Pittsburgh claims that exposure to vaporized chemicals in the water supplies through showering, bathing, and inhalation is 100 greater than through drinking the water."

- The Nader Report, Troubled Waters on Tap - Center for Study of Responsive Law

"The National Academy of Sciences estimates that 200 to 1000 people die in the United States each year from cancers caused by ingesting the contaminants in water. The major health threat posed by these pollutants is far more likely to be from their inhalation as air pollutants. The reason that emissions are high is because water droplets dispersed by the shower head have a larger surface-to-value ratio than water streaming into the bath."

- Science News-Vol. 130, Janet Raloff

MemberMember
(@radin11)

Posted : 03/04/2006 2:21 pm

NIce article.. How much is a shower filter though? has to be expensive..

MemberMember
(@jay_68)

Posted : 03/04/2006 2:36 pm

NIce article.. How much is a shower filter though? has to be expensive..

sorry this article sounds like an advertisement (actually it is). It was the first article Google found. But there are thousands more...

As I heared there are zinc containing chemicals you can use for dechlorination.

One example:

http://www.microwaterman.com/Rainshower/Cr...l_Bath_Ball.htm "Crystal bath ball"

As chlorinated water flows through the filament the dissimilar metals in KDF, (copper and zinc), create a galvanic or electrolytic reaction which causes the two chlorine ions to combine with a zinc ion to form a harmless chloride. KDF does not hold the chlorine. It changes the chlorine from an element into a harmless compound.

So, interestingly we can use zinc for dechlorination??

Help me, please. What is the mineral that improves acne?? Zinc? Or what???? :-) It is very basic chemistry.

I do not use tap water at all. I have bath in spring water.

source: http://www.selene.com/healthlink/chlor.html

rethinking chlorinated tap water

Article by Dr. Zoltan P. Rona MD MSc

Most people never give it a thought. After all, our elected public officials keep assuring us that chlorinated city tap water is completely safe for human consumption. Numerous scientific studies, however, report that chlorinated tap water is a skin irritant and can be associated with rashes like eczema. Chlorinated water can destroy polyunsaturated fatty acids and vitamin E in the body while generating toxins capable of free radical damage (oxidation). This might explain why supplementation of the diet with essential fatty acids like flax seed oil, evening primrose oil, borage oil and antioxidants like vitamin E, selenium and others helps so many cases of eczema and dry skin.

Chlorinated water destroys much of the intestinal flora, the friendly bacteria that help in the digestion of food and which protect the body from harmful pathogens. These bacteria are also responsible for the manufacture of several important vitamins like vitamin B12 and vitamin K. It is not uncommon for chronic digestive disorders as well as chronic skin conditions like acne, psoriasis, seborrhea and eczema to clear up or be significantly improved by switching to unchlorinated drinking water and supplementing the diet with lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidus.

Chlorinated water contains chemical compounds called trihalomethanes which are carcinogens resulting from the combination of chlorine with organic compounds in water. These chemicals, also known as organochlorides, do not degrade very well and are generally stored in the fatty tissues of the body (breast, other fatty areas, mothers' milk, blood and semen). Organochlorides can cause mutations by altering DNA, suppress immune system function and interfere with the natural controls of cell growth.

Chlorine has been documented to aggravate asthma, especially in those children who make frequent use of chlorinated swimming pools. Several studies also link chlorine and chlorinated by-products to a greater incidence of bladder, breast and bowel cancer as well as malignant melanoma. One study even links the use of chlorinated tap water to congenital cardiac anomalies.

Anything you can do to filter tap and shower water that eliminates or even minimizes chlorine would certainly be helpful and possibly curative for some immune system problems. The use of at source water filtration devices is increasingly popular and affordable. Discuss their use with your health care practitioner.

REFERENCES

Fackelmann, K.A., Hints of a chlorine-cancer connection. Science News, July 11, 1992;142:23.

Flaten, Trond Peter. Chlorination of drinking water and cancer incidence in Norway. International Journal of Epidemiology, 1992;21(1):6-15.

Messina, Virginia. Chlorine and cancer. Good Medicine, Winter 1994;8-9.

Morris, Robert D. Chlorination, Chlorination by-products and cancer. American Journal of Public Health, July 1992;82(7):955-963.

Rothery, S.P., et al. Hazards of chlorine to asthmatic patients. British Journal of General Practice, Jan, 1991;39.

Shaw, Gary M., et al. Chlorinated water exposures and congenital cardiac anomalies. Epidemiology, November 1991;2(6):459-460.

ANOTHER ARTICLE

The Hidden Danger Of Chlorine In Our Bath Water - Articles, search and news in a single place.

The Hidden Danger Of Chlorine In Our Bath Water

By: Andie Klein

Most of us associate a long, relaxing soak in the bath with candlelight, soothing music and a few drops of our favourite essential oils.

Not many of us stop to think about the dangers associated with chlorine in our bath water. Most people don't realize that more chemicals enter our body through skin absorption and inhalation of steam while showering and bathing than does from drinking water.

Chlorine is regarded as one of the most important advances of modern civilisation as it disinfects the water and prevents would be outbreaks of waterborne disease like typhoid, dysentery and cholera that existed in the 1800's. Chlorine also controls and eliminates the growth of microbes such as Giardia and Ecoli.

New evidence suggests that despite its disinfectant properties, the addition of chlorine to our municipal water may adversely affect our health, especially in the long-term. There is much concern amongst experts about the harmful effects of chlorine. According to the US Council of Environmental Quality, the cancer risk amongst people drinking and absorbing chlorinated water is as much as 93% higher than among those whose water does not contain chlorine".

Elemental chlorine is extremely reactive and it combines with other natural compounds to form toxic by-products such as THMs (Trihalomethanes) and chlorinated hydrocarbons. TTHMs (Total Trihalomethanes) are a by-product of municipal water disinfection. These chlorine by-products trigger the production of free radicals in the body, causing cell damage, and are highly carcinogenic.

Why is bathing in chlorinated water so bad?

A warm bath opens the skin's pores and allows for easier absorption of chlorine and other chemicals.

The steam we inhale while bathing can contain up to 20 times the level of chlorine and other synthetic chemicals than tap water.

Inhalation of chlorine and chemical vapors is a suspected cause of bronchitis and asthma in children.

Chlorine attacks the skin's natural moisture barrier and dries the skin out.

Chlorinated water can also irritate the eyes, leaving them red, itchy and burning.

As we become more aware of the health risks associated with chlorine in our water supply, more people every day are turning to water filters to provide them with clean drinking and shower water. Relatively few people are aware that a filter exists to remove virtually all chlorine from their bath water and is appropriately named the bath ball filter.

It doesn't make much sense to allow chlorinated water to splash all over your body, seeping into your eyes, ears and mouth. Bath water filters greatly reduce the symptoms associated with chlorine inhalation and irritation by removing more than 90% of chlorine found in the water.

So the next time you decide to have a long, relaxing soak in the bath, simply use your bath ball filter and make your bath experience fun, relaxing and safe again for the whole family.

You can read about halogenoderma on eMedicine: http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic864.htm

They talk about halogens known to cause acneiform skin eruptions. "Synonyms and related keywords: bromoderma, iododerma, fluoroderma, exposure to halogen-containing drugs or substances, skin eruptions"

They did not mention chlorine. I thought chlorine is in the group of halogens???? :-)

MemberMember
(@terryh)

Posted : 03/04/2006 3:52 pm

drinking also kills all the bacteria in your stomach good and bad and also destroys vitamin E and the same for zinc. and my book i bought also said a 15 min shower in in chlronated water is like drinking 8 glasses of it... i posted that awhile back.

MemberMember
(@jay_68)

Posted : 03/04/2006 4:07 pm

drinking also kills all the bacteria in your stomach good and bad and also destroys vitamin E and the same for zinc. and my book also said a 15 min shower in in chlronated water is like drinking 8 glasses of it... i posted that awhile back.

Sorry, I did not read your book, but you are absolutely right. Your skin is really like a sponge for chlorine and having a shower is more dangerous.

I simply recommend to every acne sufferers to eliminate tap water. Do not drink it and do not have shower in tap water. It is that simple. Try it! You will see the difference soon.

You can use special salt for dechlorination and also there is a kind of bath ball on the market. I would not use either btw. I use naturally clean water.

MemberMember
(@tristam)

Posted : 03/04/2006 4:14 pm

Where do you have access to spring water?

MemberMember
(@jay_68)

Posted : 03/04/2006 4:33 pm

Where do you have access to spring water?

I live on the countryside.

You see, if you live in a crowded city, you have no other chance than tap water... But we definitaley need to have a bath sometimes :-)

MemberMember
(@flipside)

Posted : 03/04/2006 5:09 pm

I bought a shower filter a while ago without doing much research on it and it did not help my acne. But it was a cheap filter and probably didnt remove all the chlorine and other pollutants.

I've recently started researching the market again for a quality shower filter.

Aquasana seems to have a good shower filter that removes chlorine... plus they are a brand name, which means they probably care more about customer service and providing a quality product:

http://www.aquasana.com/product.cfm?id=2

I emailed aquasana the other day to see if the filter also removed chloramines, and they said only up to 80%. What the heck does "up to" mean anyway?... that was the way they put it... oh well, everyone has an agenda i guess...

My water company adds ammonia to the water after chlorine treatment. The ammonia combines with chlorine to produce chloramines. Chloramines hide the taste and smell of loose chlorine. The purpose is to continue poisoning the human population without awakening our senses to one of the causes of our slow spiral into disease and early death. alright maybe thats not the intention but it's certainly the result.

General Ecology also makes a shower filter that is quite expensive but is probably the most effective one on the market... i think this because their water filters ARE the best on the market as far as i can tell, and i hope their shower filters are the same:

https://www.generalecology.com/Merchant2/me...tegory_Code=BGS

https://www.generalecology.com

Thanks Jay for reminding everyone about chlorination. I brought up this topic long ago and not many people seemed to care... but you definately have a convincing attitude about it.

MemberMember
(@jay_68)

Posted : 03/04/2006 6:18 pm

I bought a shower filter a while ago without doing much research on it and it did not help my acne. But it was a cheap filter and probably didnt remove all the chlorine and other pollutants.

I simply do not believe in water dechlorinators, and I wanted to be sure if there is any relationship between tap water and acne. That is why I use pure spring water. It would be very expensive to use mineral water for showering.

Another thing is that acne improves somewhat during summer, it is unquestionable that sunlight has a positive effect on acne. We know that chlorine is sensitive to sunlight, it is broken down under the influence of UV light to chlorids (HCl an O2 in water). So chlorine becomes less dangerous, only our pH will be acidic.

Interestingly there is another disease that is linked to sunlight, depression. I think you all know that acne patients often suffer from different degree of depression. Furthermore, serum zinc level is significantly decreased in patients having depression. So interesting.

Yes, I am convinced, because the whole thing is getting clearer... It is not only acne.

MemberMember
(@veen)

Posted : 03/04/2006 6:33 pm

ok, Im sorry for my first post.

Its just that I was a bit irritated, because the quality of this forum has gone way down... 30 topics about the same subject and people finding something that works for them and generalize it to be the cure... etc

look at your topics title... acne = xxxx with many exclamation marks... looks a bit cheap, dont ya think? but you probably did it to draw attention to your post

anyway you posted some interesting articles, but I think chlorine isnt that heavy of a toxin and our body's should be able to handle it...

MemberMember
(@kidddd)

Posted : 03/04/2006 8:21 pm

I never wash my face in the shower, whenever i do my skin gets 99 dry lol

MemberMember
(@acnesuckslikewoe)

Posted : 03/04/2006 8:49 pm

I found this site if anyone is interested: http://home.comcast.net/~reviewguy/?gclid=...CFSMwNAoddF5o8g

Compares a bunch of shower filters for how well they filter chlorine.

MemberMember
(@mikewilliams1)

Posted : 03/05/2006 1:05 am

"Chlorine, being extremely unstable by nature, will immediately evaporate out of hot shower water. So it now becomes a matter of the level of chlorine you are breathing instead of the amount of chlorine you bathe in. This is most likely the reasoning for water municipalities switching over to chloramine as the disinfectant of choice. It's highly stable across a wider range of water temperatures. "

MemberMember
(@terryh)

Posted : 03/05/2006 1:12 am

"Chlorine, being extremely unstable by nature, will immediately evaporate out of hot shower water. So it now becomes a matter of the level of chlorine you are breathing instead of the amount of chlorine you bathe in. This is most likely the reasoning for water municipalities switching over to chloramine as the disinfectant of choice. It's highly stable across a wider range of water temperatures. "

so your better off taking a colder shower?

MemberMember
(@jay_68)

Posted : 03/05/2006 3:33 am

anyway you posted some interesting articles, but I think chlorine isnt that heavy of a toxin and our body's should be able to handle it...

Isn't it toxic? read more about it. I can help.

source: http://www.vitalearth.org/say_no_to_chlorine.htm

THE DANGERS OF CHLORINE

Attention! Read further on the dangers

of chlorinated drinking water.

Natural organic substances such as fruits, vegetables, and soy products can form dangerous cancer causing compounds when combined with chlorinated water

JUST SAY aoeNO! NO! NO!a? TO CHLORINE!!!

Some of natureas most valuable and essential anti-cancer and anti-disease phytochemical nutrients, which are commonly found in food, have been discovered to form deadly cancer causing substances when consumed or combined with chlorinated tap water. This discovery includes familiar foods including soy, fruits, vegetables, tea, many health products, and some prescriptions.

Recently, a joint study was undertaken in Japan by research scientists at the National Institute of Health Sciences and Shizuoka Prefectural University. They determined that natural organic substances react when exposed to chlorinated tap water, forming dangerous cancer causing compounds named MX, which stands for aoeUnknown Mutagena?. They are similar to the already well-known and more easily detected cancer causing THMs (trihalomethanes).

Earlier studies by scientists in Finland in 1997 determined that MX is 170 times more deadly than other known toxic by-products of chlorination, and was shown in laboratory studies to damage the thyroid gland as well as cause cancerous tumors.

There is nothing wrong with the organic substances themselves, it is chlorine that is at fault for turning them into the deadly THM and MX cancer cocktail. The reality is that the organic substances have been shown to be highly beneficial combined with pure drinking water.

It is certain that the fresh plant foods we eat similarly react with the chlorinated tap water we drink with our meals, creating toxins. This means that fresh fruits and vegetables, green salads, green tea, black tea, herb teas, soy products, vitamins and various health supplements, and even some pharmaceutical drugs all can be implicated in combination with chlorinated water.

The dangerous cancer causing agents which are produced are extremely toxic in infinitesimal amounts so small and obscure that they are very difficult to detect. Very little chlorine is required.

Many years ago laws were passed making chlorination of water mandatory. Now, the chlorine industry and government agencies must continue their existing policies, because if sudden or drastic changes are made the legal liabilities would be staggering. This predicament could make the tobacco industry scandal seem insignificant in comparison. Educating people to the dangers of chlorine would be admitting to knowledge of the problem, which could invalidate past studies and certainly raise serious legal problems.

Although Chlorine has essentially eliminated the risks of waterborne diseases such as typhoid fever, cholera and dysentery, there are many pathogens that are not controlled by chlorine. Better methods of water treatment exist, and many alternatives are already used throughout the world.

This message is of utmost importance to the general public, because chlorine will one day, in the near future, be exposed as a major cause and contributor to cancer and degenerative disease. Chlorine will also be found to be responsible for damaging the bodyas immune and hormonal systems by mutating the food-based plant estrogens and phytochemicals that support those systems. A healthy immune system should be your first and best line of defense against disease.

What can you do?

Eliminate or reduce all chlorine wherever possible. Donat drink chlorinated tap water, donat bathe in it, donat wash your clothes in it. Get it out of your life! The bottom line is that the real culprit is chlorine, not the substances with which it reacts. Filters are available for faucets and shower heads. Many people have larger filter systems installed right on the water line entering their house. Chlorine is everywhere...the ice tea you order at a restaurant was probably made with chlorinated water, your salad leaves may have been washed with chlorinated water...it goes on an on. Many people who read about the dangers of chlorine for the first time are horrified and shocked that this toxic substance is flowing right out of their faucets. But, it is, and knowing about it can only help you to evaluate how you will can effectively deal with this toxic addition to daily life.

WATER TEST KITS

If you're wondering whether a water source has chlorine in it, you can purchase water testing kits at your local pool supply store. They're inexpensive and will tell you if that bottled water you're buying is really free of chlorine or not.

We have 2 suggestions:

1. Try to reduce toxins as much as possible from your daily routine

After eliminating chlorine everywhere you can, be sure to do everything possible to support a strong and healthy immune system to help fend off the many toxins presented throughout daily life. The healthiest people are going to be the ones who make a conscientious effort to reduce all toxic substances they encounter, whenever possible. This includes all the chemicals, preservatives, colorings, MSG, artificial sweeteners, hydrogenated oil, and more, that can be found in the prepared, pre-packaged, and convenience foods. If it comes in a package, and somebody else made it...you probably shouldn't eat it! Drink purified water, and don't drink sugar and chemical filled soft drinks. They are more damaging than you have any idea. They leach nutrients from the body, they contain phosphates and fluoride that saturates the thyroid. And artificially sweetened drinks contain excitotoxins, which is a whole other shocking health report! Excitotoxins are even worse in liquid form. Don't use artificial sweeteners at all, ever, and absolutely do NOT give them to your children!

2. Supply your body with products that will de-tox and flush existing toxins from your system

FULVIC CAN FLUSH CHLORINE AND OTHER TOXINS FROM THE BODY

At the very least, make sure you're taking supplement products that can help to remove Chlorine and other toxic substances from the body. Fulvic minerals, (i.e. Vital Earthas Fulvic Mineral Complex) provides a natural chelation therapy. They detoxify the body, the liver, and the digestive tract, by attaching to toxic buildup, including heavy metals, and chlorination by-products, where they disarm, neutralize, and remove them as waste products. Fulvic also works as natureas most powerful antioxidants, neutralizing dangerous free radicals, as well as supplying hormone stimulating micronutrients.

So, the bottom line is, try to remove Chlorine and other toxins whenever possible, and make sure you're supplying products that help to flush the toxins that you do happen to come in contact with, out of the body

One abstract from PubMed (you can find thousands more)

Int J Hyg Environ Health. 2005;208(6):481-8. Epub 2005 Oct 10.

Chlorinated river and lake water extract caused oxidative damage, DNA migration

and cytotoxicity in human cells.

Yuan J, Wu XJ, Lu WQ, Cheng XL, Chen D, Li XY, Liu AL, Wu JJ, Xie H, Stahl T,

Mersch-Sundermann V.

Department of Occupational and Environmental Health, Tongji Medical College of

Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, PR China.

Consumption of chlorinated drinking water is suspected to be associated with

adverse health effects, including mutations and cancer. In the present study,

the genotoxic potential of water from Donghu lake, Yangtze river and Hanjiang

river in Wuhan, an 8-million metropolis in China, was investigated using HepG2

cells and the alkaline version of the comet assay. It could be shown that all

water extracts caused dose-dependent DNA migration in concentrations

corresponding to dried extracts of 0.167-167 ml chlorinated drinking water per

ml medium. To explore whether the intracellular redox status is regulated by

chlorinated drinking water, we determined lipid peroxidation (LPO) and depletion

of reduced glutathione (GSH). The malondialdehyde (thiobarbituric acid

(TBA)-reactive aldehydes) concentration increased after chlorinated drinking

water treatment of HepG2 cells in a dose-dependent manner, the GSH content

decreased. The activity of lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) increased in chlorinated

drinking water treated HepG2 cells indicating cytotoxicity. In accordance with

former studies which dealt with in vivo and in vitro micronucleus induction the

present study shows that chlorinated drinking water from polluted raw water may

entail genetic risks.

PMID: 16325558 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

MemberMember
(@flipside)

Posted : 03/05/2006 11:49 pm

acnesuckslikewoe, thanks for posting that link

http://home.comcast.net/~reviewguy/?gclid=...CFSMwNAoddF5o8g

I emailed the reviewguy with some questions about his tests and he responded very quickly:

1. When you measured the Unfiltered Chlorine Level did you obtain the water after having it spray through a non-filtered shower head? Like you said, I think the spraying effect would cause more chlorine to evaporate. It would be interesting to note the difference in chlorine level between shower-sprayed tap water and non-shower-sprayed tap water (both unfiltered and at hot temperature).

2. Can you provide some more details on the cold water test. What were the unfiltered/filtered chlorine levels for the two top shower filters (Vitashower SF-1 & Sprite HOC)?

3. Sorry, but can you just describe yourself a little and explain your motivation behind the chlorine tests.... I get a little paranoid and just wonder if you're not affiliated with either of the top two performers. I hope you're making enough money with the google ads to recover the costs of the tests.

4. Lastly, when were these tests performed... what year please?

5. Oops one more... have you compared your cold unfiltered chlorine levels to the levels provided by your local water company. If so, what were both of the levels?

MemberMember
(@randomdude)

Posted : 03/06/2006 1:04 am

Err... my town's water supply is not chlorinated... though it is slighty flouridated maybe that works (hey its a halogen) then again maybe it has nothing to do with anything at all?

edit: when i say slightly flouridated i mean like... .001 ppm (9.98859e-7 g/L i love online converters <3)

MemberMember
(@jay_68)

Posted : 03/06/2006 2:47 am

Apparently, they stopped using free chlorine a couple of years ago. I normally get measurements somewhere in the range of 1ppm-3ppm depending on several factors mentioned on my site. I usually only check for chlorine/chloramine levels with cold water samples since this is the method by which the water company performs their tests.

It is interesting. What was the reason why they stopped using free chlorine???????

About fluoride, I do use non-fluoride toothpaste, but I tried it before and did not work alone at all. But as you see, it is known for a while that halogens can cause "acneiform eruprions" (acne???)

MemberMember
(@flipside)

Posted : 03/06/2006 10:39 pm

Apparently, they stopped using free chlorine a couple of years ago. I normally get measurements somewhere in the range of 1ppm-3ppm depending on several factors mentioned on my site. I usually only check for chlorine/chloramine levels with cold water samples since this is the method by which the water company performs their tests.

It is interesting. What was the reason why they stopped using free chlorine???????

About fluoride, I do use non-fluoride toothpaste, but I tried it before and did not work alone at all. But as you see, it is known for a while that halogens can cause "acneiform eruprions" (acne???)

i wrote this earlier in this thread:

My water company adds ammonia to the water after chlorine treatment. The ammonia combines with chlorine to produce chloramines. Chloramines hide the taste and smell of loose chlorine. The purpose is to continue poisoning the human population without awakening our senses to one of the causes of our slow spiral into disease and early death. alright maybe thats not the intention but it's certainly the result.

by "loose chlorine" i also meant free chlorine.

and here is what my water municipality has to say about chloramines:

Chlorinous

During the treatment process, chlorine is added to water as a disinfectant. Before the water leaves the treatment plant, ammonia is added to form chloramines to keep the water disinfected while it is distributed to homes and businesses. Chloramines may impart a chlorinous, or medicinal, taste or odor to your drinking water. Chloramines, rather than chlorine, are used to maintain a disinfectant residual because they are more stable, form fewer disinfection by-products, and tend to produce less offensive tastes and odors.

http://www.valleywater.org/Water/Water_Qua...odor_facts.shtm

i think by "disinfection by-products", they mean the trihalomethanes and other potent mutagens/carcinogens that result from chlorination.

i think european countries stopped using chlorine to disenfect water a while ago. they use ozone instead, which does not remain in the water after treatment.

adding fluoride to our water is even more absurd than chlorine. for one thing its not even necessary to fight cavities as long as you eat healthy and dont eat refined sugar... secondly, most toothpaste has fluoride in it anyway so why should we be drinking it and showering in it? my teeth have weird white/yellow stain marks that are probably due to fluoride overdoes from toothpaste or drinking water as a kid. i used to get all kinds of cavities as a kid. i stopped using toothpaste a couple years ago and havent gone to the dentist in 3 years and i dont feel any cavities at all. i still floss and brush daily but i find toothpaste absolutely unnecessary. about a year ago i did feel like i had a couple cavities but i noticed that they immediately dissapeard after i started drinking barley green juice.

MemberMember
(@jay_68)

Posted : 03/07/2006 3:09 am

adding fluoride to our water is even more absurd than chlorine. for one thing its not even necessary to fight cavities as long as you eat healthy and dont eat refined sugar... secondly, most toothpaste has fluoride in it anyway so why should we be drinking it and showering in it? my teeth have weird white/yellow stain marks that are probably due to fluoride overdoes from toothpaste or drinking water as a kid. i used to get all kinds of cavities as a kid. i stopped using toothpaste a couple years ago and havent gone to the dentist in 3 years and i dont feel any cavities at all. i still floss and brush daily but i find toothpaste absolutely unnecessary. about a year ago i did feel like i had a couple cavities but i noticed that they immediately dissapeard after i started drinking barley green juice.

I simply cannot tell whether it is fluoride, chlorine (or chlorinated byproducts) or both. Since I read an article about the possible link between acne and iodine (the milk connection) in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology - I can attach this "letter" if you want - and read about halogenoderma I immediately tried to eliminate both fluoride and chlorine. I tried to minimalize chlorinated water exposure, and I use non-fluoride toothpaste. I think bwt it is not iodine, but at least we do not add iodine to tap water.

I think we would need an expert who knows everything about municipal water purufication.

MemberMember
(@hk2022)

Posted : 01/01/2022 1:58 am

Im not sure if this is a recent thread but Im avidly researching halogen induced angioedema and urticaria

see any product I now use with a charged F or Cl, I have a reaction to. I mean: mouthwash, antiseptics, disinfectants, etc. where they say a mild skin reaction may occurI blister and get chemical burns and hives; I also get eyesswelling shut, light sensitivity, pain, lips swelling, throat swelling, breathing issues Similarly, I have a reaction to Iodinated contrast dyescant breathe and puke. all were fairly recent onsets.

Ive considered pharmocogenetics, but the issue here is the compounds that these elements are in arent metabolized they are too large and are excreted direct in fecal matter. So thats out.

im now considering toxicities specific to structural integrity of cells and membranes. See I know these elements are worse for mucous membranes (skin, mouth, and eyes). I just cant find the piece to explain why I can sit in a room full of people not having an issue, meanwhile I cant see 2 hours later and Im covered in hives where I came into contact

maybe someone has some explanation? Its definitely unique to me I just cant figure out why it is.

(Ive also considered toxicity research done recently on quats. So one is a hindrance to lipid metabolism inducing toxic structures. A few cause apoptosis and cytotoxic events. Now, if you take someone with a screwed lipid metabolism genetically and couple with this hindrance, they could be toxic while others are not. I just dont know what pathways are targeted by the halogens specifically)

Im desperate to crack this so I can get back to my normal life Ive seen and perplexed 10 drs, including one of the best dermsin the country which I drove out of state for. Im just at a loss. Drs are so confused they are relieved when they can pass my case to someone else. (Worth noting my bloodwork is normal, I did note decreasing kidney functioning trends, but nothing flagged as disease/failure. Elevated IgE levels were the only other indication. Also checked for 100s of autoimmune biomarkers) and I dont drink tap water because of fears from childhood when they would call and tell us not to drink the water. lol

MemberMember
(@hk2022)

Posted : 01/01/2022 11:03 am

On acne and causes:

I formerly had extremely bad issues with acne, like cystic + was going on accutane bad. I did realize a couple things:

-dairy was the main source of cystic acne for me

-gluten is a contributing issue

(they later pulled allergy tests and I did test with allergies to them)

lactose intolerance is EXTREMELY common, most people dont know they are. However, you only make the enzymes to digest milk as a baby to receive milk from your mother. Typically, by the time you are an adult, your body shuts these enzymes down. (Sometimes it continues to make them, but its more uncommon) thus, you continue to eat dairy, you are now eating stuff your body cant digest.

Additional triggers:

-I was using the wrong stuff. We kept escalating treatments, salicylic acid, to benzols, getting into accutane. When my skin flared, the more harsh the substances put on were. This wasnt it. My skin thrived when it was instead nurturedactually use tea tree oil products, dont wash it every day, but exfoliating wash, toner, and moisturizer with no typical acne treatments.
***so I actually had very sensitive skin, not skin that needed to be chemically reprimanded when it was upset about dairy. I learned I actually had very dry skin that needed loving, not harshness. Its a weird flip, but no product from the Dr or store for acne was going to work. (Worth noting that tea tree oil has antihistamine, fungicidal, virucidal, etc. properties). At the end of the day, our bodies have a lot of symbiotic relations with various bacteria that evolved over millennia. I do believe the majority of derms and acne treatments will ignore thisblame acne. Only additional consideration is hormonesso get your thyroid checked.

Water Purity:

HCl is extremely nominal in the filtering process, necessary to kill harmfulinvolved. A major issue with filter based products is they dont influence TDS (total dissolved solids), they also do not eliminate bacteria. So its actually worse to risk this. The quantities utilized for drinking water are relatively low, and considerations that your body uses Cl as an important balance to pH makes it even more nominal. (We actually studied water bodies in the area last year, ones that go to water supply sites. You really dont want to know just how awful they start as). I will lastly add, a reverse osmosis filter is the only adequate solution if you want to filter it yourself. There are certain portions in water filtering by governments that arent controlled. Brita filters and such dont actually filter much nor doesany other filtering system that contains <5 stages/filters. I actually purify the water for my plants> 5 stage system followed by distillation process where its steam evaporated through.

plants and chlorine:

chlorine isnt the issue, pesticides and the quaternary structures they have are.
quaternary structures damage cells and are carcinogens. When you discuss the Cl factor involved, you are actually looking at the charged ion that is a part of a quaternary ammonia. I highly recommend reading the research being done this yeareach quat uniquely targets and damages cells in a different way. This MUlTI-BILLION dollar industry will never be regulated its not chlorine its the entire molecule it comes with. That being said, our food industry would not be able to support us in the absence of pesticides. Please dont go down the route of GMOsthey are 100% fine, no different than choosing specific dogs to breed based on their traits and bettering the health of that breed. Its not any wonky science messing with your foodits fast forwarding nature selection by crossing specific plants with specific traits.