Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jules70

Accutane & Cholesterol

Hello all. 35/f here with moderate acne. I had planned on starting accutane through my derm last week. However my bloodwork came back with a high (220) cholesterol level. I have and appt with my GP next week to consult on this. I was wondering if anyone out there has gone thru the same thing. Any coments would be great. Thanks. :)

What's your current diet like? high insaturated fats? (red meat?) Also-does it run in your family? Heredity can be a main cause of high cholesterol at your age...you're kind of young for it...also, fogive me for asking, but are you overweight at all? That can cause high BP...

Unfortunately, if it's hereditary, that's a strike against you. But that doesn't mean you can't do anythign about it. Cardiovascular exercise can help tremendously, as well as a few diet modifications. If that doesn't help, there are meds (I don't think you need them though).

Post back!

I'm going to move this over to the Prescription medication forum, as lots of people there are taking Accutane and you might get more replies.

my triglyserides were high but my derm still put me on accutane...he just told me to watch my diet...

here are soem tips:

jog, run, walk at least 2-3 times a week

eat everythign green

eat cerael with psyillium(all bran buds is good)

Drinks lots of water

olive oil is good

dont eat fast food or fatty foods

good luck

my triglyserides levels were on the border line. My doctor didn't say anything about controlling my diet, besides driinking plenty of water and avoiding alcohol.

Thanks to those who replied. I go the GP this am so I"ll let you know how I make out. I'm hoping the cholesterol levels won't be a contraindication to my taking accutane. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.