Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shortyrock21

Is it me or my doctor?

My doctor is has been giving me faces washes and creams I don’t feel are working I been seeing this guy for a little over 2 years and my face hasn’t cleared up I have talked with him about accutane and he says my face isn’t that bad but I feel I shouldn’t have to settle for “that bad� or good enough I want my face to look decent and not oily/greasy skin that I am always worried about people noticing in school and I have some red scars from where I used to have acne should I demand acctuane or else I will go to another doctor? I feel like he has been ripping me off with his off brand line of products He put me on Minocycline and then lowers the dosage after one month and he doesn’t give it time to work then he gave me Doxycycline and right away lowers the dosage after 3 weeks so I never see results.Also is Proactiv as good as it sounds?

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Hold on a second, i just have to catch my breath.

It sounds like you have persistent, mild acne. It does seem very dubious that your Doctor has let this go on for 2 years without improvement. My first suggestion would be to find a new Doctor.

I've never personally tried Pro-Activ, but from what i hear it really is a sham.

Light-Therapy (Blue) could be really beneficial for you, and it wont entail the usual itchy, red skin that is so typical with harsh washes.

My acne is pretty mild, but meds for almost three years have not cleared up my face. I was in the same boat you are. I was going to a derm that I really liked as a person. He was such a great guy. My family knew him socially, so I felt bad switching derms. He put me on about 27 different products (literally) before I switched to another derm. With in seconds of the new derm walking in she told me I should be on Accutane.

I was told after talking to different doctors that some derms seem to be more in the skin cancer and diseases business and others seem to focus a little more on Acne and appereance. Don't get me wrong, all derms should know about both. My previous derm kind of took the postion that I didn't have cancer and my face wasn't falling off, so there is no need to be aggressive about the treatment. Which was not how I felt. I don't think he would have ever prescribed me Accutane.

If you aren't comfy with derm or don't like the results (be realistic) then I would switch.

Pro Activ seems to be such a case by case basis. I know two people who tried it and it really seems to work for them. I was given some and I tired it and it didn't do anything. I didn't notice a difference at all.

My acne is pretty mild, but meds for almost three years have not cleared up my face. I was in the same boat you are. I was going to a derm that I really liked as a person. He was such a great guy. My family knew him socially, so I felt bad switching derms. He put me on about 27 different products (literally) before I switched to another derm. With in seconds of the new derm walking in she told me I should be on Accutane.

I was told after talking to different doctors that some derms seem to be more in the skin cancer and diseases business and others seem to focus a little more on Acne and appereance. Don't get me wrong, all derms should know about both. My previous derm kind of took the postion that I didn't have cancer and my face wasn't falling off, so there is no need to be aggressive about the treatment. Which was not how I felt. I don't think he would have ever prescribed me Accutane.

If you aren't comfy with derm or don't like the results (be realistic) then I would switch.

Pro Activ seems to be such a case by case basis. I know two people who tried it and it really seems to work for them. I was given some and I tired it and it didn't do anything. I didn't notice a difference at all.

Yeah I also been on close to 27 different products my doctor doesn’t seem to have any other acne patients so I’m thinking he is what you said more of a skin caner and disease doctor and he doesn’t think my face is "that bad" I’m going to tell him I want to be put on accutane or I’m going to try someone else.Just cause my face is as bad as people with extremely bad acne doesnt mean I have to live with acne.I also kind of feel bad about switching he seems to be doing everything he can and is trying but it's not working and I just want it to clear up.

You don't have to switch outright, just get a second opinion. Then decide when you see what the other derm wants to do.