Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Baby Blue

My derm gave me some great info on cystic acne today

I am trying to get pregnant also. Two dermatologists I've seen told me I need to take Erythromycin one week prior to menstrating, along with azelec gel (topical of erythromycin) and benzole peroxide wash and spot treatment. I tried the Erythromycin tablets for months, two different periods of time, and found it helped at the start but then after a few months I would start getting cycts and breakouts again. Right now I do not take any antibiotics and my skin on my face and back is not well. I use the azelec gel on the cysts, BP and sulfer masks and have been getting dermasound treatments at a salon. I could be noticing some improvement but it has only been one month now. I have a habit of touching and picking at my skin, which I know makes it worse so I made a commitment to stop. One other top dermatolgist in my area suggested Smoothbeam laser treatments to get my skin in control. They are very expensive and I have not made the final decision yet if I will try this route. I am 39 years old and have been suffering with acne for many years and have a few scars to prove it.

I thank everyone for participating in the board and giving the support we all need.

*random*

my derm said this:

roaccutane will sort my acne

diet is totally not related to acne

acne is caused by primarily by hormone changes and little else

my derm is cool. he has a beard and it's really long and one day i saw a bird in his beard and the bird was carrying a worm and the worm looked at my skin and hid back in the birds mouth. anyway, yeah, my derm talks too.

Wow a derm that actually talks. I didn't know thy could. I though all they did was look at your face and write you a prescription. The longest appointment I ever had took about 5 minutes....

My derm's really into antibiotics for cystic ance, even just non-cystic inflammatory acne....which sucks because I'm not into antibiotics at all.

I just want the 'tane....

Why don't you make your own ?

Wow a derm that actually talks. I didn't know thy could. I though all they did was look at your face and write you a prescription. The longest appointment I ever had took about 5 minutes....

My derm's really into antibiotics for cystic ance, even just non-cystic inflammatory acne....which sucks because I'm not into antibiotics at all.

Why don't you make your own ?

Because I'm a retired street chemist and I no longer work in the underground pharmaceutical industry....plus I don't trust my skills as a synthetic organic chemist (I'm a formulation chemist) enough to actually ingest any substance that I am able to whip up in my kitchen.....

Besides, who will do my blood work to check my liver enzymes, cholesterol, and triglyceride levels????

Question, I hear people talking about squeezing out a cyst, which is weird cuz my cyst are huge, like size of a nickel, and deep under my skin, like, DEEP. I just see IT when I move my mouth around (can see the white pus under all that skin). So how in hell you squeeze out the pus? cyst are nothing like pimples, hell i've had one on my chin for two months now..and its not going...

Question, I hear people talking about squeezing out a cyst, which is weird cuz my cyst are huge, like size of a nickel, and deep under my skin, like, DEEP. I just see IT when I move my mouth around (can see the white pus under all that skin). So how in hell you squeeze out the pus? cyst are nothing like pimples, hell i've had one on my chin for two months now..and its not going...

I'm under the impression that many people on this board (and many derms) confuse large pustules with cysts. My derm once referred to one of my large pustules as a cyst, and I had to correct him that it was just a pustule. He said that they refer to any acne lesion that is greater than 0.50 as a cyst, even though he agreed that it wasn't a true cyst. A true cyst cannot easily be squeezed out or popped. Attempting to do so oftern aggervates it and forces the infection deeper into the skin. I've had cysts before and they can hang around for months (they can hang around for years in some cases). I've had the exhilarating experience of actually having one of my cysts come to a "head" after applying copious ampunts of BP twice daily for to it for about six weeks. The cyst had about 5 or 6 "heads" which I'm guessing were small sacs of puss.....and that motherfucker scarred too......nice huh????

What antibiotics did she say are OK for pregnant women, are you having any success so far? Erthromycin is supposed to be safe because it does not pass anywhere near the placenta/baby. I researched this for 5 hours one day because my cysts are out of control and I needed some answers. I am considering doing levulan treatments if I can squeeze in some home days in the next 2 months, but I still have to work and that requires a lot of time off. We won't really start trying for the baby until probably May. Thanks in advace for your replies!!!!

Well, Erthromycin is considered "safe" but it hasn't been proven safe. Here is something from http://www.rxlist.com:

Delayed Release Capsules: There is no evidence of teratogenicity or any other adverse effect on reproduction in female rats fed erythromycin base (up to 0.25 percent of diet) prior to and during mating, during gestation, and through weaning of two successive litters. There are, however, no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women. Because animal reproduction studies are not always predictive of human response, this drug should be used during pregnancy only if clearly needed. Erythromycin has been reported to cross the placental barrier in humans, but fetal plasma levels are generally low.

Topical: Animal reproduction studies have not been conducted with this drug. It is also not known whether erythromycin can cause fetal harm when administered to a pregnant woman or can affect reproduction capacity. Erythromycin should be given to a pregnant women only when clearly needed.

Each of us is different. I'd rather live with a few pimples there and here than stress over what my medications for acne might be doing to my unborn baby.

I've waited long enough to start trying so I'm really excited about pregnancy BUT I'll miss my clear skin.

What antibiotics did she say are OK for pregnant women, are you having any success so far? Erthromycin is supposed to be safe because it does not pass anywhere near the placenta/baby. I researched this for 5 hours one day because my cysts are out of control and I needed some answers. I am considering doing levulan treatments if I can squeeze in some home days in the next 2 months, but I still have to work and that requires a lot of time off. We won't really start trying for the baby until probably May. Thanks in advace for your replies!!!!

Well, Erthromycin is considered "safe" but it hasn't been proven safe. Here is something from http://www.rxlist.com:

Delayed Release Capsules: There is no evidence of teratogenicity or any other adverse effect on reproduction in female rats fed erythromycin base (up to 0.25 percent of diet) prior to and during mating, during gestation, and through weaning of two successive litters. There are, however, no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women. Because animal reproduction studies are not always predictive of human response, this drug should be used during pregnancy only if clearly needed. Erythromycin has been reported to cross the placental barrier in humans, but fetal plasma levels are generally low.

Topical: Animal reproduction studies have not been conducted with this drug. It is also not known whether erythromycin can cause fetal harm when administered to a pregnant woman or can affect reproduction capacity. Erythromycin should be given to a pregnant women only when clearly needed.

Each of us is different. I'd rather live with a few pimples there and here than stress over what my medications for acne might be doing to my unborn baby.

I've waited long enough to start trying so I'm really excited about pregnancy BUT I'll miss my clear skin.

I wish it was just a few pimples here and there in my case. My face looks like pizza. I've even thought about quitting my job while preggers because it's so bad and I have a client facing job. It's just so embarrassing and devastating. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!

I wish it was just a few pimples here and there in my case. My face looks like pizza. I've even thought about quitting my job while preggers because it's so bad and I have a client facing job. It's just so embarrassing and devastating. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!

I have very bad acne also, on my face and back. When I was pregnant with my son, my skin cleared up and looked great from 4 months on. Think positive, alot of woman claim the same and my hair was thick, shiny and healthy too.

I have very bad acne also, on my face and back. When I was pregnant with my son, my skin cleared up and looked great from 4 months on. Think positive, alot of woman claim the same and my hair was thick, shiny and healthy too.

That's what I'm hoping for! :pray: I think once I'm pregnant, the elevated level of estrogen might keep me clear.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you in on a great, do it yourself spot treatment.

Use diluted Apple Cider Vinegar - 1 part vinegar, 2 parts water (you CAN use it neat but some people may not be able to tolerate it... and you can dilute it more if you are very sensitive). Mix up a supply in a bottle and apply to your face buy gently rubbing it into your face/or use a cotton pad - no need to wash off. Do this morning and night (or more if you have the time) Do it after cleansing your face and before other topicals. You can still use your normal topicals! If you're using BP, retin-a etc.. do it after the vinegar.

FYI - it's super dryiing if used all over the face though.