Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChrissyC

Fraxel FAQ Part II

Thought it might help to have a continuation of the first FAQ regarding POST treatment so that people have an idea of the range of what to expect:

1. What level was your first treatment done at? Subsequent treatments?

2. What is/was the spacing of your fraxel treatments? Was "recovery" easier as your skin adapted?

3. How long before you felt like you could jump back into daily activities? (Be seen without feeling self conscious?)

4. Which day, post treatment, was the "worst"?

5. What did your aftercare involve?

Thought it might help to have a continuation of the first FAQ regarding POST treatment so that people have an idea of the range of what to expect:

2. What is/was the spacing of your fraxel treatments? Was "recovery" easier as your skin adapted?

3. How long before you felt like you could jump back into daily activities? (Be seen without feeling self conscious?)

1. 8 passes of 8 and 2 passes of 12

2. about 2-3 weeks will be my spacing. i have only gotten one so far

3. i jumped to daily activities the next day, but the day after that i started peeling so i didnt want to go out in public, but i had to because i had school, so i just wore a hat.

4. the worst was the 3rd and 4th day, those were the days i was peeling and flaking

5. involved using this spring water gel for 3 days and a spring water mist, and moisturizing with aquaphor.

1. 2 passes of 12 on forehead, 2 passes of 15 on chin, and jaw line and 2 passes of 20 on my cheeks where scarring is the worse.

2. Im shooting for 2 weeks, but I could do it every week if I want to. Not sure about recovery as I just had it performed yesterday, but my doctor did say to wear as much suncreen as Aunt Jamima smokes pot.

3. I feel like I could jump back into activities today, my face is just slightly swollen, but dang it looks good.

4. Im assuming day 3-4, I can already see little flakes forming.

5. I was given some Bromelaine for swelling, told to apply lots of sunscreen, drink lots of water and to moisterize.

1. 2 passes of 12 on forehead, 2 passes of 15 on chin, and jaw line and 2 passes of 20 on my cheeks where scarring is the worse.

2. Im shooting for 2 weeks, but I could do it every week if I want to. Not sure about recovery as I just had it performed yesterday, but my doctor did say to wear as much suncreen as Aunt Jamima smokes pot.

3. I feel like I could jump back into activities today, my face is just slightly swollen, but dang it looks good.

4. Im assuming day 3-4, I can already see little flakes forming.

5. I was given some Bromelaine for swelling, told to apply lots of sunscreen, drink lots of water and to moisterize.

1. 2 passes at 18 , 3 treatments in a row 2 passess at 19 the fourth time

2. I get one every 2 weeks

3. I stay in for 6 to 7 days because of the swelling, then the flaking (I can't wear makeup those days, and it looks pretty bad!)

4. The worse days for me are the second and third days, because I get really bad swelling.

5. I bought these packs that you put in the freezer, and then you put it around your face, and velcro at the top of your head. I have 2 so I can keep changing them. It's easier than holding ice packs on your face all day. Also, I was told to take 2 Advil to help with the swelling.

Wow. Now I'm a little nervous becasue I'm supposed to be starting at just under 20 on Wed and I was supposed to go away for the weekend. I understand the value of fewer passes at higher levels, but I have to admit I'm getting nervous because of what I'm imagining it's going to feel like and what I'm imagining I'm going to be looking like directly afterward. Thanks for the input so far!

Wow. Now I'm a little nervous becasue I'm supposed to be starting at just under 20 on Wed and I was supposed to go away for the weekend. I understand the value of fewer passes at higher levels, but I have to admit I'm getting nervous because of what I'm imagining it's going to feel like and what I'm imagining I'm going to be looking like directly afterward. Thanks for the input so far!

I don't want to scare you! From what I've read, it seems like most people don't swell as long as I do. I just wanted to tell you my experience. I'm still glad I'm getting it done.

I don't want to scare you! From what I've read, it seems like most people don't swell as long as I do. I just wanted to tell you my experience. I'm still glad I'm getting it done.

Not scared to have it done..."scared" about how I'm going to rearrange my life to hide out for a week!

Not scared to have it done..."scared" about how I'm going to rearrange my life to hide out for a week!

I hear ya. It's been a long winter staying in every other week. Hopefully this will all be worth it come April.Good luck to you!

no breakouts for me. Its day 4 and man my skin looks ALIVE! Wow! I dont know why I respond really well to these types of treatments. Dermabrasion for me was a God-send and even only having one fraxel laser treatment I can see great improvment. Then again I received my Aloette products the same day I finished my first fraxel, so I guess I can attribute my results so far to both.

BTW- No swelling here, just slightly red is all.

Hi drewboy! Glad you are getting good results! Did you peel much? Do you think you had thinner skin going in to the procedure since you'd had a dermabrasion. I wonder if the thickness of skin has alot to do with results? My skin is pretty thin except for some thickened scar tissue which I would spot treat. Maybe you could take some pics sometime!

Hi drewboy! Glad you are getting good results! Did you peel much? Do you think you had thinner skin going in to the procedure since you'd had a dermabrasion. I wonder if the thickness of skin has alot to do with results? My skin is pretty thin except for some thickened scar tissue which I would spot treat. Maybe you could take some pics sometime!

I honestly havnt peeled much but I did use my Aloette enzyme exfoliant gel on day 2 and the skin came rolling off. So maybe that did away with all my peeling.

Today my skin tone is almost back to normal. Im not sure if I have slight swelling or what but goodness my pores have closed up! Im still giving it another week before I give this the thumbs up.

I have been using these Aloette products I bought day and night, so that may have something to do with my results so far. Im not sure about me having thinner skin due to dermabrasion, but its a possibilty.

I'll try and snap some pics shortly. Trying not to get to excited, but I feel the end to all this drama could be near.

drewboy,

did your doctor recommend using the aloette product? i am having fraxel done soon--just wondering if i should buy some. can you only purchase this online?

thanks

bluekit, ive only been using these Aloette products for a few short days (4 days at that) and Lord how I already love them! I got greedy and bought 250$ worth of product but its been worth every penny, my skin has never glowed or felt this good before. Its radiant! hahaha I feel so gay.

I ordered online, if you give me a few hours I can most likely get you a discount on the products I ordered since I ordered over a certain amount. I never asked the doc if I could use Aloette products, I just started using them and am very impressed so far.

hah I forgot I had those pics in there. Those are from like 2 years ago!! And they are horrible as far as judging acne because none of em are closeups.

can you tell me the exact names of the aloette products you are using? i want to use a product that is a gentle exfoliator, thus not to cause anymore redness after the fraxel.

did your doctor suggest any products to you after you had the procedure? what do you use to wash your face? i currently use md forte glycolic acid face wash, but don't know if i'll be able to use this after the fraxel. i should probably use something mild that will help decrease redness and will also not produce break-outs.

drewboy,

did your doctor recommend using the aloette product? i am having fraxel done soon--just wondering if i should buy some. can you only purchase this online?

thanks

do you have any "now" pics, not gay, but would love to see em, im going in for first fraxel on march 17th, ill post a pic, tell me if they will help, thanks...pics didnt come up

can you tell me the exact names of the aloette products you are using? i want to use a product that is a gentle exfoliator, thus not to cause anymore redness after the fraxel.

did your doctor suggest any products to you after you had the procedure? what do you use to wash your face? i currently use md forte glycolic acid face wash, but don't know if i'll be able to use this after the fraxel. i should probably use something mild that will help decrease redness and will also not produce break-outs.

drewboy,

thanks

I'm wondering this same thing. I ight call the dr's office today and ask what they recommend so that I have it on hand (bet they try to sell me their products). Don't want to be cruising the skin care aisles with a red, swollen, maybe crusty face!!! Tomorrow is my big day!

I just finished my 4th Fraxel treatment. After every treatment I am sooooooo swollen. It lasts for about 4-5 days. It is so bad that I won't even go out to get the mail. Yes, it does suck to be stuck in the house for days and having to go through this several times. However, the results are worth it.

Guest sunshine562

What spring water gel, spring water mist, and moisturizing with aquaphor did you use for 3 days?

1. 8 passes of 8 and 2 passes of 12

2. about 2-3 weeks will be my spacing. i have only gotten one so far

3. i jumped to daily activities the next day, but the day after that i started peeling so i didnt want to go out in public, but i had to because i had school, so i just wore a hat.

4. the worst was the 3rd and 4th day, those were the days i was peeling and flaking

5. involved using this spring water gel for 3 days and a spring water mist, and moisturizing with aquaphor.

Did you guys hae any initial breakouts with fraxel?

i most definitely had breakouts. anyone here describing a lack of side effects is either lucky, or getting their fraxel done at low energy levels. from what i researched, as well as what my doctor explained to me, is that you have to be aggressive with the energy level to see good results with acne scarring. my doctor started me at energy 70 at a depth of 11. ?? i'm not sure what it all means, but he told me it was as high as the machine could go. he said he normally doesn't start that high, but i told him i was on vacation and had plenty of time to recover. plus, i wanted to get my money's worth if the high settings are what work for acne scars.

let's just say that i'm glad i had the time to recover. this is all very recent for me too, as i am within my first week of recovery from my first fraxel 2 treatment. the treatment itself was kinda painful, but more just very uncomfortable. when i got home, the first night was pretty mellow. not much pain, but very pink and swollen. same story for the next day. however, day 2 and 3 are a whole different story. my skin was so tight and chapped, that it hurt to open my mouth. i could barely eat, and every time i laughed it felt like my face was cracking. i moisturized the hell out of my face too! by day 4 my face was exfoliating and loosening up, but that's when the breakouts started. it isn't acne though, just more like an inflammatory (blistery) breakout that resolves itself rather quickly. day 5 is more of the same.... dry, exfoliating skin and mild breakout. today is day 6 and the breakout is resolving itself further. still pink, but the swelling is gone and the exfoliating skin is pretty much over. feel like i could go out in public again today, definitely tomorrow.

i would definitely prepare to stay inside and expect a breakout, if you get fraxel done at a high setting. if you can't afford the downtime then do it at a lower setting, but just know that you won't be getting your money's worth or achieving the best possible results.

overall, it's not so bad. however, i am doing 4 treatments / 4 weeks apart, so i have to go through this 3 more times. not really looking forward to that, but hoping it will all be worth it in the end. plus, i have an amazing doctor which i think is very important for good results as well. anyway, i am new to this board and will happily answer any questions and share my experience. it's the least i can do, as this site has been very helpful to me both before and during my decision to undergo this treatment. thanks, and good luck to everyone out there going through this. peace