Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dingo Jellybean

I will probably never go back to the OTC forums again.

Not because the products don't work (because they usually don't), but because this board has done so much more for my skin...and all I had to do was change my diet. Of course supplementation helps as well, but I will never go back to a topical since the minute you stop using them your symptoms come back.

I'm not saying I don't use products (I personally use the Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash), but they usually don't do much for my mild acne. Dermatologists have long said you can't shrink pores and stop oily skin...they said it was genetics...and they are partly right. But the foods you eat and work around your genetics. No topical has ever shrunk my pores or reduced my oily skin. Dermatologists simply prescribe antibiotics to make things worse in the long run. They should be ashamed of themselves...but I will NEVER go back to a dermatologist. I haven't gone to one in 4 years and I think I'm better for it. More money in my pocket.

Although I do take B5, I don't think it's really a cure. It's still a mask of an underlying problem. 20 pills a day is insane IYAM. Even the "maintenance" dose is a bit high, from 3-5(6-10 pills) grams a day. I think this whole candida stuff has really changed my viewpoint of acne completely. I have taken anti-biotics a couple of times before and I have taken a lot of oral and topical corticosteroids (because of my eczema)...not knowing they can make another symptom worse (mainly acne). It's like an endless cycle, as soon as I got rid of my eczema, the acne comes just as eczema walks out the door. I swear, are dermatologists here to help or here to make money? The hell with them.

But mucho gracias to this forum, for opening my eyes.

yeah the forums in the diet room are progressive and otc forums just go in circles and are a bunch of cry babies.... kinda like most relationships

except the OTC forums actually have clinical studies behind the products they discuss and the diet acne link on this forum is just a bunch of anecdote and guesswork , in other words: it's BS

except the OTC forums actually have clinical studies behind the products they discuss and the diet acne link on this forum is just a bunch of anecdote and guesswork , in other words: it's BS

Clinical studies? On what, 2.5% BP? All the products are the same. They all cover the problems and treat them, not cure them. No cream on the face of the planet has ever cured a skin condition. OTC medications are just money making cash cows. You stop using them, guess what? The symptoms come back.

However, on these forums there have been legit studies done. But every forum will have their own guesswork and such. My skin has improved so much since I started reading more and more about diet. Why would I want to buy a cream that promises to shrink my pores and fails to deliver? Diet has shrunk my pores and reduced oily skin. No cream has ever done that and never will (unless it's some radioactive cream). I do believe in the phrase "You are what you eat."

Why don't we just talk about diet and holistic forms of acne treatment (since we're IN the diet and holistic forum) and let the OTC forum talk about OTC products, eh?

:)

Clinical studies? On what, 2.5% BP? All the products are the same. They all cover the problems and treat them, not cure them. No cream on the face of the planet has ever cured a skin condition. OTC medications are just money making cash cows. You stop using them, guess what? The symptoms come back.

However, on these forums there have been legit studies done. But every forum will have their own guesswork and such. My skin has improved so much since I started reading more and more about diet. Why would I want to buy a cream that promises to shrink my pores and fails to deliver? Diet has shrunk my pores and reduced oily skin. No cream has ever done that and never will (unless it's some radioactive cream). I do believe in the phrase "You are what you eat."

ok fine, post your studies on the diet link

here's a hint for you: there are none, if there are, they're inconclusive. By you saying it cleared you up means fuck all, n=1. THere's no study on the diet doing anything. Short of omega 6:3 ratio and hypocaloric diets, the diet stuff is PURE SPECULATION And therefore, it's worthless.

here's a hint for you: there are none, if there are, they're inconclusive. By you saying it cleared you up means fuck all, n=1. THere's no study on the diet doing anything. Short of omega 6:3 ratio and hypocaloric diets, the diet stuff is PURE SPECULATION And therefore, it's worthless.

:lol: It's far from worthless to the people whose skin is cleared up from diet.

again, anecdotal evidence means nothing. If anything happens it's more likely than not coincidental.

edit: for example....Today I went and had sex with 2 different animals at the zoo, i cleared up. OMg you guys should try this it works WONDERS for me.

See, that's anecdotal evidence.

http://www.mercola.com/2003/aug/23/acne.htm

That's one link. You know why it's credible? Because he isn't trying to sell you anything. You're just angry because you haven't found a diet that works for you. I'm willing to help people and all, but given your attitude you probably deserve to have acne for as long as you live.

If it's pure speculation, why is this forum here? Why do so many people have it work for them? Reason? Because everyone is different. Even vegans get acne. I've seen people clear themselves up with diet alone.

With OTC stuff, you have all these claims on the label...and guess what? They make all these claims how it will do wonders for your skin.

But I have questions for you pheremone: If OTC stuff is working for you, then why are you on these forums? Why are you here? If diet for acne sucks, then why click this link to this forum? Because you do believe there is such a link between acne and diet. If the OTC stuff keeps your acne away, then why even bother with this forum? Go back to your treatment-non-cure-topicals okay?

I never said my diet works for everyone, yet I get lambasted by someone idiot like you who claims these clinical studies help acne patients. These giant pharmecueticals and companies will ALWAYS promote a product that keeps you coming back. If there is a single diet-acne link that works for everyone, dermatologists would lose 80% of their patients and Johnson&Johnson would be out of business. You keep feeding the wallets of these executives and I'll keep feeding my body the right foods.

I don't need to look at "clinical studies" done on other people other than myself to tell me whether a treatment is working or not.

It doesn't take a degree to be able to look in the mirror and spot a pimple, or in this case, the absence of them.

again, anecdotal evidence means nothing. If anything happens it's more likely than not coincidental.

edit: for example....Today I went and had sex with 2 different animals at the zoo, i cleared up. OMg you guys should try this it works WONDERS for me.

why are u here then...in fact ur attitude makes me wonder if u belong on these boards at all...every1's looking for a solution and many ppl including I have found it here...so don't bash something that works.

as for i said PROGRESSIVE people here put in and take out things to see what food works for them. we help each other out and if you stick with it for 3 months you never wanna go back to OTC creams and such... when we get the occasional breakout we dont go crazy, for many things one is our complexion looks great and a zit isnt as hideous as it may seem eating junk food, plus we educate ourselves what could have triggered the breakout... but we dont get over discouraged because we can look at these forums and see so many people with great results.

as for the person asking about oats they are a newbie and the "veterans" on this page say it should be perfectly fine. some people cant handle gluten but most can i think. Some people cant handle yeast foods cause they may have a yeast infection in the gut (candidia)

but im not gonna argue about your case its not very productive cya

http://www.mercola.com/2003/aug/23/acne.htm

That's one link. You know why it's credible? Because he isn't trying to sell you anything. You're just angry because you haven't found a diet that works for you. I'm willing to help people and all, but given your attitude you probably deserve to have acne for as long as you live.

If it's pure speculation, why is this forum here? Why do so many people have it work for them? Reason? Because everyone is different. Even vegans get acne. I've seen people clear themselves up with diet alone.

With OTC stuff, you have all these claims on the label...and guess what? They make all these claims how it will do wonders for your skin.

But I have questions for you pheremone: If OTC stuff is working for you, then why are you on these forums? Why are you here? If diet for acne sucks, then why click this link to this forum? Because you do believe there is such a link between acne and diet. If the OTC stuff keeps your acne away, then why even bother with this forum? Go back to your treatment-non-cure-topicals okay?

I never said my diet works for everyone, yet I get lambasted by someone idiot like you who claims these clinical studies help acne patients. These giant pharmecueticals and companies will ALWAYS promote a product that keeps you coming back. If there is a single diet-acne link that works for everyone, dermatologists would lose 80% of their patients and Johnson&Johnson would be out of business. You keep feeding the wallets of these executives and I'll keep feeding my body the right foods.

hey jackass, you didn't post a study. You posted some doctor posting some shit with no references in it. If sugar caused acne and caused an overproduction of hormone, then go hypocaloric. If you're hypocaloric you can eat whatever the fuck you want and you wont get overproduced androgen secretion. IGF-1 secretion is related to GH secretion. GH and insulin have NOTHING to do with each other. You can be starving and as a result be secreting GH allllll day long, then hit yourself with some sugar and nothing will happen. Here's a hint: dont believe everything you read without references. Next, OTC stuff does work, look at the regimen, look at clinical studies actually showing 99% reduction in p acnes or even accutance etc.

Your "diet" is complete shit. You're a Vegan. You leave whole FOOD GROUPS out; you really consider that healthy? If you are vegan then you must be supplementing with B vitamins and such because you sure as hell are not getting them from what you're eating. I don't even wanna bother with a vegan, you're making your life miserable for no real reason and who am i to even make it worse; enjoy not eating meat and dairy, more for me.

you're not feeding your body the right food, dumbass, you're leaving out 2 food groups. I'll keep feeding the execs, yea ok. I feed the execs because i live in a "capitalistic" environment. They provide me with goods and services, so i provide them with money.

Even if your skin looks better now (PURELY COINCIDENTAL might i add) you're hitting a roadblock in the future with your health unless you're supplementing (FYI calcium supplements don't absorb very well). So enjoy your broken bones and frail vegan figure in the future. i will gladly control my hormonal problems with OTC until they're gone. Also, continue being "that guy" at parties. Where people have to get you separate food because o you're vegan. People have to accomodate you, because of you're o so special diet. People don't like "that guy" trust me.

before some mod gets on my ass about ad hominem attacks, check out this guy's post to me, it's full of it.

why are u here then...in fact ur attitude makes me wonder if u belong on these boards at all...every1's looking for a solution and many ppl including I have found it here...so don't bash something that works.

im glad you've found the solution to acne when millions of dollars in research has been inconclusive. Please start working on the aids, avian flu, and cancer problem. What are you doing here, you could save millions of lives, go go goresearch. Should be able to figure out aids in a matter of months.

pheremone, do you rub your balls while you type? or do you just pat yourself on your back?

guess i might ask you the same question with your post. O you're so witty, come on girls, flipside's available.

Pheremone, having acne doesn’t give you the right to be bitter and bitchy about everything and towards everyone.

Since I changed my diet and started taking probiotics, I saw that new acne stopped to appear; all that is left to this day are redmarks that continue to fade. I found the answer to my acne. I don’t claim it’ll fix everyone, but I’m glad other people obnoxious enough to claim it would posted about it in the diet forum. :D

I honestly have no faith in topical treatments. I gave them a try, in all their forms & ways, for quite a long time. Yet you don’t see me going to the OTC forum insulting everyone telling how people won’t like them if they use shit on their face… I mean seriously, grow up.

It’s kinda sad people get all proud and offended over something as stupid as acne treatments. If creams work for you, than fine; Your face should be result enough…

Right?

I think it’s time you got off your high horse and realized that you couldn’t possibly dismiss something as “coincidental� when you: a. ignore the vast number of people whose skin has changed because of diet alterations. And b. completely disregard the fact that we aren’t some statistical number but are indeed human beings, and in order for you to know whether or not any change was coincidental and not entirely dependant on diet you’d have to KNOW the person in matter.

hey jackass, you didn't post a study. You posted some doctor posting some shit with no references in it. If sugar caused acne and caused an overproduction of hormone, then go hypocaloric. If you're hypocaloric you can eat whatever the fuck you want and you wont get overproduced androgen secretion. IGF-1 secretion is related to GH secretion. GH and insulin have NOTHING to do with each other. You can be starving and as a result be secreting GH allllll day long, then hit yourself with some sugar and nothing will happen. Here's a hint: dont believe everything you read without references. Next, OTC stuff does work, look at the regimen, look at clinical studies actually showing 99% reduction in p acnes or even accutance etc.

Your "diet" is complete shit. You're a Vegan. You leave whole FOOD GROUPS out; you really consider that healthy? If you are vegan then you must be supplementing with B vitamins and such because you sure as hell are not getting them from what you're eating. I don't even wanna bother with a vegan, you're making your life miserable for no real reason and who am i to even make it worse; enjoy not eating meat and dairy, more for me.

you're not feeding your body the right food, dumbass, you're leaving out 2 food groups. I'll keep feeding the execs, yea ok. I feed the execs because i live in a "capitalistic" environment. They provide me with goods and services, so i provide them with money.

Even if your skin looks better now (PURELY COINCIDENTAL might i add) you're hitting a roadblock in the future with your health unless you're supplementing (FYI calcium supplements don't absorb very well). So enjoy your broken bones and frail vegan figure in the future. i will gladly control my hormonal problems with OTC until they're gone. Also, continue being "that guy" at parties. Where people have to get you separate food because o you're vegan. People have to accomodate you, because of you're o so special diet. People don't like "that guy" trust me.

before some mod gets on my ass about ad hominem attacks, check out this guy's post to me, it's full of it.

It's not coincidental. As a vegan, I do supplement. But vegetables do contain calcium...a readily absorbable form, the dairy industry wants you to believe that you only get calcium from their products. You only WISH it was coincidental. Oilyness has cut off by almost 70%. I am completely honest with you on that one...but you think I'm rubbish anyways, so why argue with me? You keep drinking milk and your pimples will thank you for that.

But you sound angry at your acne problem rather than me. That was a study btw...by a legit doctor. You keep feeding the corporations money...they only provide treatments...not cures. And are you so naive to think you'll actually outgrow your acne problem? You're a fool. Take a good hard long look at people's faces, those who are in their 40's, 50's, and 60's...they still have it. As for going to parties and people accomodating me, I don't go to parties. Why? Because I'm busy with life, with my friends, work, school, bills, etc. Try getting one, it can do you some good.

Pheremone...you sound so vindictive...all because of acne. If only you could see my face and compare it to yours, you'd cry in an instant. All these OTCs that you've tried and you're still here moping about your acne...it sounds like these executives have done nothing for your face.

Honestly...I just try to help people, but you sound like you have a pretty bad acne problem that needs some major help. Oh yeah, accutane costs a couple thousand dollars btw, you can try that. But chances are, it's not a cure...it'll come back to haunt you. Honestly, I wish I could see your face. I want to see if it's as bad as your attitude (probably just as equal). I would love to share my diet with people, but for someone like you...I KNOW you will keep your acne throughout your life. Because you're so ignorant of what you put in your body. You're like "Sickening"...a former member who was banned for good since all he moped about was how bad he got it and took his frustrations out on people. Guess what also happened to him? He never stopped his acne in time before it caused permanent scarring, and he's tried accutane on several occassions, all these OTCs, and none of it worked. It all came back. Even if his acne is gone, the scarring is blantantly obvious...and if you don't want to take into account your diet, then so be it. Just don't be the one crying about your acne scars in the future. If you don't stop it now, the scars in the future will remind you of how bad it was/is. You seem so skeptical of everything...and you actually praise these executives at Neutrogena for "goods and services." Goods and services my ass, your face is still fucked up...so much for goods and services.

Like I said, you are so ignorant. You think lack of dairy causes osteoporosis? Look at China, India, and Africa...dairy is hardly a part of their diet...yet why isn't osteoporosis a problem? Look at the US...where Americans consume 40% of their diet as dairy, yet our osteoporosis rates are abnormally high. Do your own research...you'll see that I'm not lying.

OTCs work...yes. But the only treat, not cure. Why don't you lay off your pimple creams and see what happens...it'll come back. And don't get me started on accutane. Thank god I never needed it and was never close into consideration for it. Look at all the people here who have gone on 2, 3, 4, or even 6 doses of Accutane. That's enough for a new car (which I just bought). 10's of thousands of dollars on Accutane and it keeps coming back...so much for that acne "cure." Besides, if OTCs work for you, why are you on this forum anyways? Because they haven't worked for you. And you're angry because of it and you're taking your frustrations out on us.

You want to know the number of pimples I've had since I've been on a candida diet? ZERO. Did you read that? ZERO. Possibly the greatest number ever for acne. 70% less oil, 50% smaller pores, more energetic, smooth skin, better life...gee, I guess diet doesn't work.

Just an observation: that link does include products the doctor is hocking.

The only thing the link said was that he gave a link to his book...but never put it out like an ad. He even makes it clear that "You can't sell a healthy diet." To me, the gives it credibility.

pheremone, do you rub your balls while you type? or do you just pat yourself on your back?

guess i might ask you the same question with your post. O you're so witty, come on girls, flipside's available.

I don't see your purpose here.

And do you know why there are no studies on diet/acne? It is very very simple but maybe hard for you to understand.

M.D.s are trained in pathology. They are trained to treat a disease when it arrives. When cancer comes they try to kill it. When acne comes they try to kill it. Pathology. Look up the word. 95% of americans aren't interested in prevention. That is why 2/3 of americans die from cancer/heart disease problems while in countries like china it is substantially lower. Americans like to do their thing and then treat the problem when it arises.

Also and this is key so get out your pen and paper, buddy.

In America we are driven by economics and the ONLY way for doctors to make MONEY is to sell perscription drugs. They need you to be visiting them constantly (at least 3 or 4 times a year) and be reliant on perscriptions.

SO WHY DO WE HAVE NO STUDIES?! Who do you think pays for a study. A study isn't cheap to run in case you didn't know. They are paid for by WHO? DRUG COMPANIES. I am surprised you have no knowledge about this topic. And what do you think the drug companies are going to do studies on? Diet's relation to acne? Nope. They can't make money off spinach. It costs 3 dollars for a bag while Retin A costs over 80$ for a little tube.

This is a simple economics issue.

This forum is built by people who try things that work and then share them with others. Then others find things that work too. WOW. What a concept! But wait. It is funny when you make slippery slope arguments (look up the term again). You say that if a person tries something and gets positive results then they will attribute it to the WRONG cause. THEREFORE ALL DIETS DON'T CHANGE ACNE. WOW. GOOD CONCLUSION. You must be a star on your debate team. How is 8th grade these days?

I would at least respect you if you even made an inquiry about what people tried and what results they saw. But instead what you do is say, "It doesn't work." Without even knowing what people are doing.

It is difficult to deal with the uneducated and obstinate buffoons that occassionally come onto this forum. Just in case you don't know what a buffoon is, it is defined as, "a ridiciulous but amusing person; a clown." Don't ask me how i pick out words that are so exact for the moment, I just know a lot of good vocabulary words.

BUT take heart people. He will be gone to be a pest to someone else very soon. Eventually they get tired of annoying people and need a new place to be a pain in the ass. Oh well. Hopefully he goes to college so he doesn't remain a retard.

Pheremone, having acne doesn’t give you the right to be bitter and bitchy about everything and towards everyone.

Since I changed my diet and started taking probiotics, I saw that new acne stopped to appear; all that is left to this day are redmarks that continue to fade. I found the answer to my acne. I don’t claim it’ll fix everyone, but I’m glad other people obnoxious enough to claim it would posted about it in the diet forum. :D

I honestly have no faith in topical treatments. I gave them a try, in all their forms & ways, for quite a long time. Yet you don’t see me going to the OTC forum insulting everyone telling how people won’t like them if they use shit on their face… I mean seriously, grow up.

It’s kinda sad people get all proud and offended over something as stupid as acne treatments. If creams work for you, than fine; Your face should be result enough…

Right?

I think it’s time you got off your high horse and realized that you couldn’t possibly dismiss something as “coincidental� when you: a. ignore the vast number of people whose skin has changed because of diet alterations. And b. completely disregard the fact that we aren’t some statistical number but are indeed human beings, and in order for you to know whether or not any change was coincidental and not entirely dependant on diet you’d have to KNOW the person in matter.

it's coincidental because:

even if some people here says the diet helps, this is not a representative sample of the population, it's not legit, sorry.

It's not coincidental. As a vegan, I do supplement. But vegetables do contain calcium...a readily absorbable form, the dairy industry wants you to believe that you only get calcium from their products. You only WISH it was coincidental. Oilyness has cut off by almost 70%. I am completely honest with you on that one...but you think I'm rubbish anyways, so why argue with me? You keep drinking milk and your pimples will thank you for that.

But you sound angry at your acne problem rather than me. That was a study btw...by a legit doctor. You keep feeding the corporations money...they only provide treatments...not cures. And are you so naive to think you'll actually outgrow your acne problem? You're a fool. Take a good hard long look at people's faces, those who are in their 40's, 50's, and 60's...they still have it. As for going to parties and people accomodating me, I don't go to parties. Why? Because I'm busy with life, with my friends, work, school, bills, etc. Try getting one, it can do you some good.

Pheremone...you sound so vindictive...all because of acne. If only you could see my face and compare it to yours, you'd cry in an instant. All these OTCs that you've tried and you're still here moping about your acne...it sounds like these executives have done nothing for your face.

Honestly...I just try to help people, but you sound like you have a pretty bad acne problem that needs some major help. Oh yeah, accutane costs a couple thousand dollars btw, you can try that. But chances are, it's not a cure...it'll come back to haunt you. Honestly, I wish I could see your face. I want to see if it's as bad as your attitude (probably just as equal). I would love to share my diet with people, but for someone like you...I KNOW you will keep your acne throughout your life. Because you're so ignorant of what you put in your body. You're like "Sickening"...a former member who was banned for good since all he moped about was how bad he got it and took his frustrations out on people. Guess what also happened to him? He never stopped his acne in time before it caused permanent scarring, and he's tried accutane on several occassions, all these OTCs, and none of it worked. It all came back. Even if his acne is gone, the scarring is blantantly obvious...and if you don't want to take into account your diet, then so be it. Just don't be the one crying about your acne scars in the future. If you don't stop it now, the scars in the future will remind you of how bad it was/is. You seem so skeptical of everything...and you actually praise these executives at Neutrogena for "goods and services." Goods and services my ass, your face is still fucked up...so much for goods and services.

Like I said, you are so ignorant. You think lack of dairy causes osteoporosis? Look at China, India, and Africa...dairy is hardly a part of their diet...yet why isn't osteoporosis a problem? Look at the US...where Americans consume 40% of their diet as dairy, yet our osteoporosis rates are abnormally high. Do your own research...you'll see that I'm not lying.

OTCs work...yes. But the only treat, not cure. Why don't you lay off your pimple creams and see what happens...it'll come back. And don't get me started on accutane. Thank god I never needed it and was never close into consideration for it. Look at all the people here who have gone on 2, 3, 4, or even 6 doses of Accutane. That's enough for a new car (which I just bought). 10's of thousands of dollars on Accutane and it keeps coming back...so much for that acne "cure." Besides, if OTCs work for you, why are you on this forum anyways? Because they haven't worked for you. And you're angry because of it and you're taking your frustrations out on us.

You want to know the number of pimples I've had since I've been on a candida diet? ZERO. Did you read that? ZERO. Possibly the greatest number ever for acne. 70% less oil, 50% smaller pores, more energetic, smooth skin, better life...gee, I guess diet doesn't work.

commenting on my skin is worthless, sure i got a pimple or two, some hyperpigmentation, but that's it. Nothing terrible in the least. I ALSO love how you assume i eat a crappy diet. You dont even know. im on this forum because i want to and i have a bit of time. I dont care how many pimples you have either. By the way how did u figure out those percentages for you n=1 study on yourself? 70% 50%, what you just looked at your face made a judgment? So you basically made them up? Im not gonna buy into that study.

i understand the osteoporosis argument you're putting forth, we probably do have too much calcium in the US. I'll give you that, good job on the research. However, as a vegan you still leave out food groups. And it's fine with me, stay a frail person your whole life, i dont care.

FYI, i don't think anyone would cry if they saw your face and we jealous. i mean seriously what a shitty argument is that. My skin is 100% on my head all the time, please. I could care less, good for you.

Stay vegan, more meat and dairy for me! Enjoy your fresh organic veggies ya goddamn hippie.

Dude give it up. You're acting like a fucking 10 year old.

It's a FACT that diet affects your body, why can't it affect your skin? The link is not coincidental it's just very hard to prove.

Get the fuck outta this forum and stop acting like a little kid. We're all here to try and help each other and get better, if diet works for some people, and not you, let them try it.

I can promise you, I have tried sooo many products. I even went on accutane. Yes, it cleared my skin, but only for a few months after I stopped using it. Changing my diet has pretty much helped me not only achieve clear skin, but healthy looking skin too. It works for me, it works for other people here, so let others try it. That doesn't mean you have to.

The link is not coincidental it's just very hard to prove.

THat is a KEY statement right there and a good argument, i'll give you that. im not saying there is no diet acne link, im saying we dont KNOW it. im saying speculating on it is more or less, not that fruitful.

It would be WAY more productive to get a poll going, where certain people restricted certain things and others didn't. A real study in here where people actually controlled the variables in the experiment to see what's most likely the cause.

But a bunch of threads on

" omg i had cereal for lunch im breaking out" is WORTHLESS considering a ton of variables could have changed etc etc

it's not fruitful that way.