Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shit, guys. So my derm warned me that my face would get red for a few days after IPL, and to stay out of the sun. I just got IPL done at like 10 am this morning. My face wasn't red at all, or uncomfortable, but I put on sunscreen, and several hours later I figured it'd be safe to atleast check the mail. This was like 2 pm this afternoon. About 2 steps outside my face felt like it lit on fire.... I proceeded to check the mail but I didn't reazlly pay attention to what was in the mailbox because my face was hurting very badly. When I got back inside, it proceeded to burn for atleast half an hour, at which point I took advil and fell asleep. Waking up, my face is incredibly red and feels a bit warm to the touch. It doesn't hurt right now.

Is this extent of sensitivity to the sun normal? Did I totally screw up the results of the IPL? Am I going to like, permanently be red, now?

I have no idea really, I don't know what IPL is, but I hope you feel better soon. Maybe a cool rag would feel good.

(hugs)

What are IPLs for? I'd call the derm to be safe.

Um they're kind of a cure-all. I got mine done to reduce redness, but I'm hoping it will also improve acne (it targets sebaceous glands) and freckles.

I'm not incredibly worried since as far as I can tell, you are mainly supposed to avoid the sun to avoid re-doing the damage you are treating. Also, I am finding through google that the more intense the treatment, the redder you get and that the redness can persist up to a week, and it is especially bad after your first treatment, all of which is what she said. The fact I use retin-a probably doesn't help, although I complied with her instructions and didn't use it at all yesterday.

I think IPL's have a lot of varied settings, depending what you're targetting and what your skin is like. I'm reading that like 4+ treatments are the norm, but she said she thinks I'll do fine with two.

Mine are $200/treatment, but I think that's on the cheaper end. I'm 17, and I'm getting them as a late christmas present... I was sick of getting presents for holidays/birthdays and then just forgetting about them a few months later, so I figured I'd get something that would last a little longer... I noticed right after that my pores looked a lot smaller, although I guess it takes this crappy phase until you notice the full effects... but my skin does feel a lot smoother, and my acne is all shrunken now, including a cyst I got about a week ago. I've also read that freckles and discolorations flake off, so, I'll let you all know how it goes. I hope this redness wears off soon though, I had to skip out on work today because of the incredible sensitivity to light.

link 1

The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that I didn't get any redness until I went outside, like it's a result of the sun exposure. :(

I think you'll be fine ... you were only out for an instant, right? with sunscreen on? I can't explain the timing, but I just can't see how you could have screwed anything up.

I do have one suggestion ... next time you go in for a treatment, stop using your Retin A a few days in advance, not just one day. I've been reading that a one week interval is actually recommended, and that's with a retinol product which is not nearly as strong as Retin A.

it's been 24 hours and 0 improvement.

It's my little sister's birthday today, plus I am going to have to skip out on work again.

"Requires no outpatient time and you can retun to your daily life immediately!"

my ass.

48 hours, still a losbter.

At what point do you think I should call my derm?

NOW.

I know it is not very helpful to repeat this .... sorry .... but I feel very strongly that your derm should have had you stop using the Retin A well in advance of this treatment. Given the photosensitivity of skin that has been regularly treated with tretinoin, a one-day interval just seems meaningless. I'm not saying that you should angrily confront her with this, since you need her help at this point .... but you might want to be scouting around for a better doctor in the future.

NOW.

I know it is not very helpful to repeat this .... sorry .... but I feel very strongly that your derm should have had you stop using the Retin A well in advance of this treatment. Given the photosensitivity of skin that has been regularly treated with tretinoin, a one-day interval just seems meaningless. I'm not saying that you should angrily confront her with this, since you need her help at this point .... but you might want to be scouting around for a better doctor in the future.

Probably. This doctor was recommended to me by my "pediatrician" lady... they're one of the more cosmetic-y type dermatologists around here. I've never seen the actual doctor though, just the nurse practitioner. What I didn't like was that some woman(girl?) who seemed to be in training was doing it, also. She was asking questions about stuff and whatnot. She did the left side of my face.. she'd put the glass or whatever against it, pulse the lasery thing, then pull away... I was relieved when they switched to the nurse practitioner for the right side who kind of pulled away as it was pulsing. Didn't hurt as bad. Next to my left eye though, on the side of my face, that one hurt really bad for some reason and I swear when she did that pulse it smelt like... burning. It's really sensitive there now, and my whole face is peeling.

This is my third derm now, and they have all sucked thus far.

The lady I see would be that Amy Proctor person.

She said I'd be red all this weekend, and unless I am imagining things it is looking like it is starting to clear. I'll give it until tommorow. I had to take off work this weekend, and if I have to call in again on Monday, I think that will be certification for a complaint.

ooh here we go.

Photodynamic therapy is now is being offered at Solutions! This treatment consists of using a topical photosentizing agent called Levulan that is applied to the skin for 30 minutes and then activated with Intense Pulsed Light (IPL). These Levulan/IPL treatments remove pre-cancerous spots called Actinic Keratoses. You will also see an improvement in fine lines, blotchy pigmentation, and acne breakouts. Unlike traditional IPL alone, this is an intensified photofacial treatment, achieving greater correction in fewer treatments but with a week of redness or “down time� after treatments.

ooh here we go.

Photodynamic therapy is now is being offered at Solutions! This treatment consists of using a topical photosentizing agent called Levulan that is applied to the skin for 30 minutes and then activated with Intense Pulsed Light (IPL). These Levulan/IPL treatments remove pre-cancerous spots called Actinic Keratoses. You will also see an improvement in fine lines, blotchy pigmentation, and acne breakouts. Unlike traditional IPL alone, this is an intensified photofacial treatment, achieving greater correction in fewer treatments but with a week of redness or “down time� after treatments.

I think that's what I got. She applied something on my face and had me sit for 30 minutes, then rinse off the excess and she began the IPL.

I'm also finding this more intensified IPL causes peeling and like it said there "down time".

From all the research I have done on the Levulan and light therapy there is 7 to 10 days approx of downtime due to redness and peeling.