Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can someone pleeeeeeeeaaaaaaase reasure me that moisturizers (non-comedogenic) wont break me out, I have dry skin, and I am freaked at the idea that by putting on moisturizer I will break out, why why why, I have one whitehead on my cheek, and for some reason I think that if I put on moisturizer I will get a 100 more, thanks guys, and girls

Brian

Hey Brian,

Why do you 'believe' this? that's the first question I'd ask yourself...

Your skin needs moisture, it heals faster, looks healthier etc etc when your skin is properly hydrated.

Some moisturisers will break you out, if you have a reaction to one of the ingredients, but most won't.

Try using a good oil free moisturiser, one that wont leave a greasy film on your face, that way you'll not be so paranoid its going to break you out I imagine.

I think your belief is because you suspect moisturisers to be greasy? most aren't.

My girlfriend uses moisturizers by the "body shop", and she put the stuff on my feet once, I had never ever had a zit on my foot, but after she put that on I did....I do have some nutregena (spelling?) oil free, maybe Ill try that, i guess im just fishing for some confidence for it, I know it is all phsycological, and i need to get over it, thank you

Brian, perhaps there was something in it that didn't agree with you, your first experience explains your worry.

But I can assure you, your skin will be fine with the Neutrogena, just use half a finger full of moisturiser and you'll be fine, apply more if your skin is still dry.

Good luck and I've no doubt you'll be using moisturiser for now on :)

Brian,

I really understand your hesitation. I did not use mosturizer for years because I thought "why would I want to add more gunk to my face when I'm trying to get rid of the gunk on my face?". It took me way too long to realize that the gunk your face produces is favorable to bacterial development while the moisturizer is not. If your face is dry your skin will try to compensate by producing more oil. You can help avoid this with a moisturizer. BUT, you have to find the right one for you and this is the hard part. There are many, many post on this site asking about moisturizers because it is HARD to find one right for your skin and you can spend a lot of $$ trying to find that perfect one.

I've been using the Neutrogena Healthy Skin moisturizer with AHA and have really liked it. But, it may not work well for you. Everyone's skin is different so you just have to keep trying. Just don't wait as long as I did to try using moisturizers. Also, don't feel you have to be rigid about it. If sometimes you don't need it, don't use it. If other days you need it, use it. Experiment to find what is right for you.

Hope this helps.