Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This is what I found. Benzoyl peroxide is great for clearing me up. If I stop using it, I start breaking out again; it's that simple.

I found that just gentle cleansing, BP and any old moisturizer/suncreeen was not enough for me.

We are all unique and have different needs.

I have super oily skin and find that I need manual exfoliation to help the process along - be it a gentle washcloth, face scrub or microdermabrasion. This is good for skin circulation and texture.

I also cannot use a regular sunscreen - they all make me break out. I ONLY use sunscreens containing non chemical sunscreen like titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. This change also made a great difference in my skin. On this board I have also read that many people with sensitive skins cannot tolerate chemical based sunscreens.

As far as moisturizers go, I cannot tolerate moisturizers with AHA, including lactic acid, like Dan recommends. If you do some research hyaluronic acid is the buzz word now, and for good reason. It holds up to 1000 times its weight in water, binds moisture to the skin like a magnet, is gentle for sensitive skins and doesn't clog pores or make you break out. So I use moisturizers that contain a good percentage of hyaluronic acid. One good brand is Derma E Hyaluronic acid line - contains toner sprays, moisturizers and eye cream. And by the way, hyaluronic acid is not a real acid - have no idea why they even call it one.

So, how do you tweak YOUR program?

So far, I've not really tweaked it yet.

Well actually, saying that, I guess I have if I exfoliate?

Exfoliation is essential for me, I don't want any flakes! ;)

Other than that, I'm sticking to it 100%.

GL2006 - I actually do the exact same thing you do, except I just don't do sunscreen at all.

I exfoliate with a manual toothbrush before I wash my face, and my other products aren't completely kosher by the regimen (my moisturizer with 0.5% SA in it, in particular). It's not so much a matter than Dan's original regimen doesn't work for me, but rather that I have trouble finding some of the products in stores and I'm very cheap, so why not stick with what has been working even if it isn't what he recommends? The toothbrush exfoliation is very important to me in terms of reducing red marks and evening out the texture of my skin, too. Maybe it wouldn't be necessary if I actually could find Eucerin Skin Renewal at a store, but I'm perfectly happy doing it and I've had great results.

Yeah...exfoliation is really key for me, too. I use a synthetic face brush from the Body Shop. My skin was a mess before I added that in. I also switched makeup brands--I only use very pure forms of mineral makeup now--like Aromaleigh.

The Regimen is great, though. I use all the recommended ingredients--but I added in Clinique's gel-based makeup remover before the Basis bar at night.

Again, the Regimen is great, but given all of the skin types out there, it makes sense that some people need to add additional steps--once their skin is used to the bp.

I love mineral makeup too! I don't know what I'd do if Bareminerals went out of business! I feel switching to a mineral based makeup definitely reduced my breakouts. I'll never go back to "regular" foundation again.

so. what is this toothbrush exfoliation?

Take a new toothbrush. The less nice of a toothbrush it is, the better--think completely flat bristles, no bendy head, blue bristles, or anything fancy. I use one that looks like this. Morning and night, before I wash my face, I take the toothbrush and I brush all over my face with it, focusing on areas where there is more dry flaking skin or red marks that I want to heal faster. I spend maybe 3 minutes brushing my face like that, making gentle circular motions and not pressing particularly hard. I stop when I brush away all of the flakes and am happy with the texture of my skin (well, to a certain point, were I to hypothetically have a raw, irritated area on my face, I would probably leave it alone no matter how flaky it is). Then I wash my face, washing away the dead skin that I've loosened up as well, and continue on with the BP/moisturizer. My skin feels so soft and smooth now thanks to the combination of BP, moisturizer, and the exfoliation, and I don't think I could do without any of those components.

I was wondering this as well do you guys ever use any kind of masks like say i have the proactive refining mask... or i have a olay color chaing masque would any of these hurt to do at nighttime or strip of oils.. etc etc? :doh:

yes masks should be okay.. as long as they arent making you too dry, and make sure you dont over use them. I'm actually trying out that new Neutrogena SA peel that they have been advertising for red marks.. I'm on week 1 one right now, I've noticed smoother skin and reduced redness so.. we'll see how it ends up working.

About ProActiv refining mask... I hated that when I used Proactiv. I used the mask once and my face was very irritated, dry and sensitive around my T-Zone area, especially chin/mouth area.