Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has anyone noticed this kind of "Acne Product Myth" that says

...if we just find the RIGHT COMBO from the endlessly expanding mix and match futility pool of anti-acne cleansers, plus toners, plus specialty grained cleansing deep exfoliating facial scrubs, plus sulfur-medicated acne treatment masks, plus salicylic acid acne fighting lotion, followed up by on-the-spot bp 10% individual spot treatment cream, then we'll be on our way to clear skin... umm How's that worked out for you so far? :eh:

Neutrogena et all are just cash cows, IMO, that happen to be uniquely positioned in a world where every medical professional will tell you that there's no cure for acne, no cure for acne, only treatments and.... prescription treatments. No cure. When I think about it, I doubt it would be very profitable for Neutrogena to pursue an Acne Cure. The doctors already tell us there isn't one, and we have the new Ultra 1000 series coming out next fall...

I wonder how many of the executives realize that their products not only fail to live up to the glamorous promises but may in fact make our condition much worse? Out of that percentage, what # happens to ponder the notion and subsequently think "Oh well, our a$$ is covered since the claim is "Clearer in 3 Days" and everyone looks clearer 3 days later. Hahaha all the way to the bank. Stupid brats with acne ... probably just need to take a bath. Pfft, I'm glad it doesn't run in my good family."

UPSIDE: We see moderate results because our skin is being dehydrated so that the blemish looks smaller for about a week.

DOWNSIDE: After using these products, especially for a long time, before we realize it, bad may become much worse.

If you're lucky, you only get a few irritation breakouts and you don't continue to irritate your skin with layers of drying products 24/7. For those of us that stick/stuck with these drying regimens, we often have superficial acne turn into larger, cystic acne. Our sebaceous glands may end up in sebhorreic dermatitis, where our oil glands are irritated and we've dried out our skin so long that we have extremely oily skin around the clock no matter what we do. As a result of all this, large amounts of dried oil can really clog our pores and create blackheads, closed comedones, and the intense amount of oil certainly exacerbates the problem.

Feel free to post if you have any stories or experiences to toss out there...I was just rambling.. :)

I was thinking about this the whole day today!

We're all trying to find our own personal "cure" but we're not really realizing how much we're harming our skin. Of course, some facial cleansing is needed, but I don't think that we should be scrubbing so much or applying so many creams to our faces. It all seems so cyclic. Sometimes I wonder if these corporations add an ingredient to their acne products that deliberately breaks you out again later. :think: I'm sure that they don't but it does feel like it sometimes.. I'm clear right now but I can almost guarantee another huge breakout later. I've gone through many "cycles" to know this. :cry:

Right now I'm thinking of starting a very simple regimen that consists of a basic face wash and moisturizer to protect from the sun. It's hard to step away from all of those tempting products out there but for mild acne sufferers like myself, it may be beneficial to experiment with more gentler approaches. We may be aggravating our condition more than we think we are.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

*nods* I hear what you're saying Jess.

yep. i think so too. so now i have pretty much stopped using products that are geared toward acne. and my skin thanks me. using those anti-acne products actually made my skin dry and i ended up with uber sensitive skin.

I was thinking about this the whole day today!

We're all trying to find our own personal "cure" but we're not really realizing how much we're harming our skin. Of course, some facial cleansing is needed, but I don't think that we should be scrubbing so much or applying so many creams to our faces. It all seems so cyclic. Sometimes I wonder if these corporations add an ingredient to their acne products that deliberately breaks you out again later. :think: I'm sure that they don't but it does feel like it sometimes.. I'm clear right now but I can almost guarantee another huge breakout later. I've gone through many "cycles" to know this. :cry:

Right now I'm thinking of starting a very simple regimen that consists of a basic face wash and moisturizer to protect from the sun. It's hard to step away from all of those tempting products out there but for mild acne sufferers like myself, it may be beneficial to experiment with more gentler approaches. We may be aggravating our condition more than we think we are.

^I agreed with everything u said there..

Especially the cyclical part and the fact that you can 'know' you're going to have another breakout soon. My skin was like that for the last 14 years and I could never predict when I was going to wake up with one new spot or 5 new spots, but I was always breaking out around the clock, at least every other day. They would last for many weeks and sometimes months before flatting out and then leaving a huge red mark..

So I know a lot about the cycle, dreading that certain week you're going to break out worse (which I could be wrong but think is mainly due to the hormones) and having the capacity-the environment for acne to form-seems to always present for most of us.

To explain, my personal experience seems to indicate that I generally have a pore clogging layer all over my face. Exactly what comprises this layer, I cannot be sure, but I believe it included a mixture of dried oil, dead skin cells, leftover acne product residue, and p.acnes bacteria. All of those festering in our pores on a daily basis (because believe me-that layer does not wash away with a cleanser.) The only thing I've found to work is gentle exfoliation with thousands of synthetic bristles. I know we're told to not use scrubs on our face, and I agree that scrubs like st.ives will just contribute to the acne problem, may make your skin feel 'softer' or 'smoother' but it will still be quite dirty as you will be leaving just another layer of product residue (which may be really bad because those smoothing agents and perfumed oils can stay on your skin when you rinse, because it gets caught up in the waxy layer playing a host for breeding acne bacteria.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Thinking about some of this makes me cringe. My Dermatologist actually believed that St.Ives scrub caused my acne to mutate from mild to severe.

I thought that too. But when I went onto an antiaging regime; it made it worse. I think the problem lies in that products for acne are only geared toward mild acne and oily teenage skin.

The thing I cannot understand (though I love a good conspiracy theory) is why a doctor who had the answer would put it in a bottle and slap his name on it and make millions? I think that acne is an ambiguous problem that has many causes and many treatments. Unfortunately, we have to find the combo that works. In the meantime, I do think it is possible that we strip away the protective mantle of our skin and exasperate the problem.

Just my opinion here.

I am SOOOOOO with you on this topic!! I just posted something along the lines of this in another thread earlier today.

In my opinion, all the acne products are destructive to our skin.

And don't you love how the cosmetic companies use the name of natural ingredients to sell the product (i.e.aloe, jojoba oil), and there is very little of the actual ingredient in there! If these ingredients are beneficial enough to slap the name on the label of a product, why isn't everyone out buying pure versions of these natural ingredients?