Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jen121

Birth Control (Yasmin) for acne?

I am going to start birth control for the sole reason that maybe if I balance my hormones.. it may help may acne.. is anyone using yasmin or have heard anything about it helping acne? Any bad side effects? Thanks!!

I am going to start birth control for the sole reason that maybe if I balance my hormones.. it may help may acne.. is anyone using yasmin or have heard anything about it helping acne? Any bad side effects? Thanks!!

I take yasmin and it did help my skin (still taking it). It tends to be the #1 b.c. pill used to help control acne. I wouldn't ask about side effects, because how your body will react is not based on other peoples experiences. All you can do is try it out and see how it works for you. I have heard a million different stories of everyone's side effects to different b.c. pills and the experiences are so different it doesn't make sense for anyone to find out how other people like it and base it off that.

i was put on yasmin so i could come off dianette and i broke out like never before all along my jaw and chin, always just had acne on my forehead. stayed on it for just over 6 mths then decided to come off because it was doing nothing for my skin, prehaps making it worse and i didnt want to be on the pill if it wasnt helping me.

3 mths on im my chin and jaw are still breaking out, not as bad as it was but still very persistant.

but this was just my experience and as achick said, it effects everyone differently

I've been on Yasmin for a year now, and I'm not sure it has helped my acne, but it definitely hasn't gotten it worse, which all other birth-control pills I ever took have...

It's also the only b.-c.-pill that didn't make me sick...

yasmin made me feel angry.. i was in a bad mood so often and I really believe it was a direct correalation.. so does my doctor. I was on it for about 4 months... I think my acne may have improved a little but not as much as it did when I was on Diane 35 (which I had to stop taking due to side effects) anyway, it wasn't worth it in the end for me... good luck :)

I've been on Yasmin for about 6 months and my skin is looking really good :cool: . I'm not saying that Yasmin is the sole reason, because I'm also on Tazorac and I use a dermabrasion kit 3x a week. I used to be on Orthrotricyclin and it was good for a few years, then I started breaking out along the jaw line and getting yeast infections....not good :( . Yasmin gave me some curves. My hips and booty started looking a little better....nothing major...but I noticed a little improvement, so did my boyfriend :lol:

I've been on Yasmin for about 6 months and my skin is looking really good :cool: . I'm not saying that Yasmin is the sole reason, because I'm also on Tazorac and I use a dermabrasion kit 3x a week. I used to be on Orthrotricyclin and it was good for a few years, then I started breaking out along the jaw line and getting yeast infections....not good :( . Yasmin gave me some curves. My hips and booty started looking a little better....nothing major...but I noticed a little improvement, so did my boyfriend :lol:

Yes!!!

yasmin might have made me mad..... BUT, my breasts were much fuller lol

hmm... maybe I should reconsider..

:redface:

I'm probably going on it soon (my dr. prescribed differin first and said if that didn't work she'd prescribe yasmin...and of course it didn't, I'm positive my acne is hormonal because it only ever happens the week of my period and has been that way since I started duac). I have heard of it helping acne from many people...it contains an anti-androgen which is why it's good for acne.

I went to my derm today and told him I was going on yasmin.. he said that its the nuimber 1 birth control for acne and that it might help. If it doesn't work I'm back on accutane. I am thinking to just give it a month, I am quite unpatient :doh: but I figure if I am going to start accutane the sooner the better to be clear! Anybody else have any yasmin experiences?

Hi everyone :)

I'm 28 yrs old, and started taking accutane. I've been on and off the pill for the past 10

years of my life and had good and bad experiences. Generally speaking, it takes

between 3-6 months of taking birth control before seeing any really good improvements

in your skin. The derm just reinformed me of that.

The only negative thing about taking birth control for me is when you eventually

come off it (besides the other side effects). Your skin will break out again after a few months

of being off it. That's my experience for more than a couple of times. If you not going

to come off it for a long time, then it's a great skin treatment. A long time as in a few years.

But if you have to come off it for some reason you're going to have to consider other acne

treatments when your skin flares up from coming off it.

Coming off the pill has been terrible for me, and I'm hoping accutane will iniolate my

acne for good.

In SA, we have Yasmin, Diane, Minerva and a hundred other pills available. From my

experience Diane 35, Minerva (generic of Diane) and Femodene have been the best.

I tried Yasmin, but suffered with nausea and a little anxiety and my skin never improved

on it.

I wish everyone well in there endevours for clear skin.

This morning i broke out even worse!! And i called my derm and asked if he could just put me on accutane now... but he said i first have to give this yasmin 2 montsh.. ugh im frustrated because i feel like if im going to have to go on accutane i mind as well get it over with sooner... what can i do? Guess ill just have to pray that yasmin works :cool:

I'm on Yasmin, and so far it's working well for me, but it could also be due to the fact that I just got off 'tane a few weeks ago. However, last week was the dreaded week before my period that usually ushers in at least one or two pimples, even when I was on 'tane. This last month, no new zits. So, maybe this pill will be helpful to me in the long run. I'm hoping it will be.

Yah when my best friend heard I was starting yasmin she was like noooo.. it made me crazyyy and jealous with her boyfriend lol.. But as far as I see it I'm pretty angry right now with all these pimples so if they go away ill be happy no matter what that stuff does :dance:

Aggghhhh! I am so jealous when people tell me that Birth Control pills cured their acne. As for me it didnt help and I ended up with a whole slew of side effects. ( I was on the pill for 5 years) From what I hear though, most of my friends use the pill and their acne has improved greatly - so good luck to you!

i'm starting yasmin this sunday. needless to say, i am kind of freaked out. i think i may make a yasmin log, though, so maybe that will be helpful/informative?

Over the years, I've tried at least 5 different BCP and by far, Yasmin is the best one. My skin is really clear, my boobs went from B/C cup to C/D, I didn't gain any weight, it slows down hair growth all over the place, eliminated PMS, and I'm in a pretty good mood most of the time.

Of course, it's not the right one for everyone. Trying out different BCP every 3 months till you find the ONE is a pain but so well worth the effort. :)

WOW candyrain, that really makes me happy to read that!!! I hope it works the exact same for me and like sushi... i am starting sunday too.. we should keep everyone posted :)

I did forget to mention that the initial breakout stage on Yasmin was not pretty. My doctor did warn me about it but still it was bad enought that I made an appointment to switch back to the patch 6 weeks into taking it. Then I got too busy at work that I had to cancel that appointment so I stuck to it for another month. Good thing I did.

So I'd give any BCP at least 3 months unless you have a severe reaction.

O gezzzz not happy to hear that haha... well i guess ill have to see how it goes and ill keep everyone posted :cool: I dont know if i can handle anymore pimples!!!!

Everyone keeps mentioning bad side effects, what are they?

Cancer runs on my mother's side of the family, so I'm really hesitant to take birth control pills because they have hormones in it. What did your doctors tell you guys about Yasmin? I'm thinking of trying it out, lol my bust could use it too.

Actually I suggested it to my doctor because I did some research and found a lot of people are taking yasmin to help their acne. When i told my derm he said, yess that is the number one birth control for acne and was happy to hear that i was going to start it. I figure its a win win situation to go on it... because it can ultimately help my acne, give me bigger boobs, make my periods more light, and knowing what day u are expected to get your period is great too... also if it doesnt work i am going on accutane which i have to be on birth control for anyways so its worth a shot right?

And ive heard that yasmin is one of the birth controls that doesnt make u gain weight. So bigger boobs without the extra pounds.. sounds good to me :D Im just hoping to skip that inital breakout stage candy rain is talking about :pray:

I am excited to start on sunday!!! I will keep u posted :)

I'm on yasmin currently.. been on it for about one month and 3 weeks or so... it seems to have helped keep most breakouts at bay.. but I still get pimples here and there.. which for some reason.. when I get pimples they stay for a VERY long time..

I didn't get any real initial break out actually..

and how long does it take for it to increase your breast size??!! This is the first time I have heard of this..

but I'm very happy to hear of it lol.. I could always use more up there.. hahahaha