Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just brought some zinc tablets. Do they help with red marks and scarring caused by acne? How much should i be taking a day to see real improvements? They are 15mg each and it says 1 a day but i have seen some people on these boards saying take 60-90mg a day for best results. For those who aren't so good at maths thats 4-6 times the reccommended daily dose on the box

Just brought some zinc tablets. Do they help with red marks and scarring caused by acne? How much should i be taking a day to see real improvements? They are 15mg each and it says 1 a day but i have seen some people on these boards saying take 60-90mg a day for best results. For those who aren't so good at maths thats 4-6 times the reccommended daily dose on the box

15mg? sounds like what the RDA would like you to take. Your right about the 60-90mg

Zinc - Vitacost

Personally I take 50mg of Zinc Gluconate, peoples bodies absorb vitamins differently regardless so who knows how much your -actually- getting but I wouldn't go over 90mg and remember that Zinc depletes Copper which can cause other problems so I would go lower rather then higher. Also remember it takes up to 12 weeks to see improvement.

The theory behind taking zinc supplements to combat acne is that you need to take a lot because the skin is struggling to keep healthy AND heal the various acne lesions. From everything I've read it is generally OKAY to take 60-100mg a day for a SHORT period of time. But if you intend to continuously supplement with 30-90mg of zinc a day it is VITAL that you take 2mg of copper.

Zinc deficiency is directly linked to scarring, so at the very least, if you're taking 30-60mg of zinc a day(supplementing with 2mg of copper!) you will not likely scar from lesions. Especially pitted scars.

(edit: I typed 'g' instead of 'mg' whoops)

Guest PokaHotAz
But if you intend to continuously supplement with 30-90g of zinc a day it is VITAL that you take 2g of copper.

so if i want to take 50g zinc, how much copper should i take?

2mg of copper seems to be sufficient for just about any amount of zinc. I'd wager if you were taking over 100mg of zinc you might want to take 4mg of copper or so. But 2mg seems to otherwise be enough to cover any long term zinc usage. At least in all the literature I've read that seems to be the case. Most good multivitamins have 2mg of copper.

Edit: I just realized I've been typing grams instead of milligrams!!

all of the aforementioned information pertains to milligrams!

50 g of zinc would kill you! haha

yeh at 15mgs and takin 60mgs a day your bottle will be empty in no time. i bought 100mg tablets (100in a bottle) in a bottle of zinc from drugstore.com for 5.00 and some chnge but they kinda went up on their prices so thats a little dissappointing. you can just cut a pill in half. which will equally 50 mgs ofcourse. but it will save you alot of money in the end.