Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
(eLLe)

EXFOLIATION EXFOLIATION EXFOLIATION!!!!!!

i need some drugstore exfoliant recommendations. acne-prone, combination, and uber sensitive skin. i've tried commercial scrubs before (st. ives w/ sa, neutrogena gentle w/ sa) and diy scrubs (baking soda, brown sugar). but sadly, they're all very rough to my skin. baking soda was perfect for a while, then it got really drying and turned my skin into desert and yes, i put on a moisturizer right afterwards too. so, um, i'm looking for smth that's not grainy, and yet can still exfoliate the skin without being drying and irritating.

i am aware of jess's method of manual exfoliation, but i really cringe at the thought of a BRUSH/TOOTHBRUSH going thru my skin, it's probably too harsh for me.

is there a way to exfoliate gently WITHOUT scrub particles? yes, i know aha/bha. but i don't know of any drugstore exfoliant product that's not a scrub. i know of several department store brands that carry this variety, but the price is way out of my league. please enlighten me. :angel:

i need some drugstore exfoliant recommendations. acne-prone, combination, and uber sensitive skin. i've tried commercial scrubs before (st. ives w/ sa, neutrogena gentle w/ sa) and diy scrubs (baking soda, brown sugar). but sadly, they're all very rough to my skin. baking soda was perfect for a while, then it got really drying and turned my skin into desert and yes, i put on a moisturizer right afterwards too. so, um, i'm looking for smth that's not grainy, and yet can still exfoliate the skin without being drying and irritating.

i am aware of jess's method of manual exfoliation, but i really cringe at the thought of a BRUSH/TOOTHBRUSH going thru my skin, it's probably too harsh for me.

is there a way to exfoliate gently WITHOUT scrub particles? yes, i know aha/bha. but i don't know of any drugstore exfoliant product that's not a scrub. i know of several department store brands that carry this variety, but the price is way out of my league. please enlighten me. :angel:

I've heard Clean and Clear blackhead clearing scrub is gentle and doesn't dry the skin out, you might want to look into that..

Just mix baking soda with water...it's cheap and it works wonders. Mix it into a paste and gently rub it over your face and wash off.

Before bed, get 100% jojoba oil and rub it gently into your skin in circular motions with a finger. In the morning, just rinse your face with water. This is the best and most gentle way of exfoliation I have found yet. Hope it helps...

Just mix baking soda with water...it's cheap and it works wonders. Mix it into a paste and gently rub it over your face and wash off.

You should try reading the post first. She said "baking soda was perfect for a while, then it got really drying and turned my skin into desert"

I REALLY like Aveeno's Clear Complexion Cleansing pads.

Here's a link: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...BUY-PLST-0-SRCH

One side is textured which will exfoliate your skin, and the other side is smooth. They get really foamy and they smell so NICE too! Honestly, I don't know if they do much to clear up acne, but they haven't made me break out worse, and my skin is much softer now from the gentle exfoliation, so I'd give them a try. :D

i like manual exfoliators, since i also have very delicate skin, and you can control exactly how much they exfoliate. try getting a little face brush, they're really soft and if you dont scrub hard they are wonderful. use it with cetaphil to make it even less harsh on your skin. or get one of those microfiber face cloths. those are great too, but watch out - sometimes it doesnt feel like you've exfoliated very much and go overboard. start slow, just lightly run it over your face.

really the best and gentliest way of exfoliating is with a washcloth. Just use your soap or whatever and use the washcloth the take it off. works wonders

You should try reading the post first. She said "baking soda was perfect for a while, then it got really drying and turned my skin into desert"

Sorry I must have overlooked that part :shifty:

Before bed, get 100% jojoba oil and rub it gently into your skin in circular motions with a finger. In the morning, just rinse your face with water. This is the best and most gentle way of exfoliation I have found yet. Hope it helps...

thanks. hehe, im using jojoba right now. i massage it on as an overnight moisturizer. doesn't really exfoliate me though. :think: hmmm...

I REALLY like Aveeno's Clear Complexion Cleansing pads.

Here's a link: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...BUY-PLST-0-SRCH

One side is textured which will exfoliate your skin, and the other side is smooth. They get really foamy and they smell so NICE too! Honestly, I don't know if they do much to clear up acne, but they haven't made me break out worse, and my skin is much softer now from the gentle exfoliation, so I'd give them a try. :D

i checked mua and reviews are decent. i'll def. look into it. thanks.

i like manual exfoliators, since i also have very delicate skin, and you can control exactly how much they exfoliate. try getting a little face brush, they're really soft and if you dont scrub hard they are wonderful. use it with cetaphil to make it even less harsh on your skin. or get one of those microfiber face cloths. those are great too, but watch out - sometimes it doesnt feel like you've exfoliated very much and go overboard. start slow, just lightly run it over your face.

really the best and gentliest way of exfoliating is with a washcloth. Just use your soap or whatever and use the washcloth the take it off. works wonders

thanks thanks thanks. the wash cloth sounds interesting. where would i get one? and any brands that's particularly gentle and non-gritty?

Sorry I must have overlooked that part :shifty:

haha, thanks anyways. i loveD (noticed past tense) baking soda too. it was almost too good to be true. :lol:

I've heard Clean and Clear blackhead clearing scrub is gentle and doesn't dry the skin out, you might want to look into that..

thanks. but i tend to stay away from c&c products due to past experiences. :confused:

thanks thanks thanks. the wash cloth sounds interesting. where would i get one? and any brands that's particularly gentle and non-gritty?

really, any small towel or towel can be a washcloth. Washcloth's are pretty much small towels. So just soap or whatever up and then gently rub around in small circles to get the soap off. After that make sure to moisturize with a good thick moisturizer.

Neutrogena Pore Refining Cleanser contains AHAs and BHAs and is not a "scrub" altho it does have microbeads. I really like the texture of my skin after I use it, and it definitely exfoliates without abrading.

It needs to be rinsed off very throughly so I suggest using it in the shower. It also works best if you can leave it on your skin for awhile. Here's the technique I've found most effective:

Apply immediately after wetting face, and massage with fingertips

Keep applying if necessary so it remains on face throughout shower, massaging occasionally

Do NOT use washcloth (too harsh, can abrade or irritate skin)

Rinse thoroughly at end of shower, pat dry

thanks for the replies!!

i looked into the brush/wash cloth idea. and the body shop has one for $6 and mua reviews are pretty good. i want to go to their store and actually feel how rough the bristles are. if it doesn't hurt, then i think i'll give it a twirl.

queen, i checked the cleanser on mua and the reviews aren't all that great, bordering on horrible actually. :(

queen, i checked the cleanser on mua and the reviews aren't all that great, bordering on horrible actually. :(

Not surprised ... if it isn't rinsed off fully, it can irritate the skin and create little bumps. And if it's used with a washcloth it can take the skin right off. That's why I was very specific in my earlier post.

I change products all the time, but this is one I've actually stuck with for years.

so your saying using a washcloth is harsh but using microbeads and rolling them around your face isnt? Or are you saying using a washcloth WITH your product is harsh?

I agree with the person who mentioned microfiber face cloths. They ARE wonderful. My husband who has rocacea, uses it every morning to wash his face. They are super gentle washcloths. The one I bought from Bed and Bath is called Wonder Cloth for 10 bucks.

Also, Nivea Extra Gentle cleanser is actually a mild scrub great for sensitive skins.

I too, prefer mechanical exfoliants over BHAs and AHAs. You can control your own exfoliation, they feel great on the skin, and are so good for circulation, which helps build collagen.

so your saying using a washcloth is harsh but using microbeads and rolling them around your face isnt? Or are you saying using a washcloth WITH your product is harsh?

Using a washcloth with this product is too harsh.