Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mike77

Retin-A Micro Question

I have been completely traumatized by acne scarring brought on after several years of cystic acne. After lurking on these boards for months, I finally went to a dermatologist last week prepared to shell out big bucks for serious treatments. When I went in, he looked at my face and told me that I don't have enough scarring for laser treatments. He said what I have is more uneveness of skin tone and texture and he prescribed Retin-A Micro. I feel like he didn't look at me closely enough because what I see are scars that truly prevent me from having a normal life. I don't understand how he thinks this cream is going to do anything. Does anyone have good or bad experiences with Retin-A? I haven't even experienced any drying or peeling - at least if I did I would feel like some change would be taking place. I guess my concern is that this Dr. didn't know much and has me on some topical solution that isn't going to do anything. This scarring is overwhelming my life. Can anyone suggest anything? Thanks.

Mike

What percentage of RetinA did he give you? I was on 0.01% and I sorta tolerated that well with moderate use the first few applications, with the lower level however, 0.04%, I had been burning tremendously and shedding a lot. It improved my scarring to a small minimal. Not saying that there isn't validation into what you are saying regarding your scars and how you feel about them, but mabey you should give RetinA a shot and listen to your derm to see how it turns out. Sometimes a topical can make all the difference in shallow scarring.

I am using Retin A micro right now too. i tolerated it well at first, but then, after years of being free from acne, it brought the cystic acne back. It does seem to "stretch" out the skin and produce collagen, thus lessening the appearance of scarring, but at the same time it brings all of the oil to the surface and creates acne in an attempt to unclog all pores. At least that is what it does with me. So I've found that the best topicals for smoothing out scars are glycolic acids at around 20-30% used once a week. Then three days later I use the Retin A micro to stimulate collagen, but I don't use it daily because then it will cause a breakout, followed by new scars.

Also, fillers work great in scars. Maybe your derm could inject collagen or Restylane etc. into your scars. This made a dramatic difference for me. You can purchase Restylane on the canada pharmacy website.

Good luck. Oh, and remember, everyone's skin is a little different, so what works for me may or may not work for you and vise versa.

Also, I know how you feel about your scars interfering with life, just try to keep in mind that people aren't focusing on them like you are and in the mean time keep trying different products/ procedures. I personally have never had any procedures besides filler injections, which has no downtime and is immediate. I've used lots of topicals and glycolic acid is the best, for me.

try to have a good one,

Bri

Thanks to everyone for your words o encouragement and suggestions. I will stick with the Retin-A for a couple months and see what happens. I am only using it on one half of my face, though, at first. I just want to see how my skin reacts before I use it all over. I am terrified of new break-outs. My derm said the Retin-A will prevent acne, but I have read a lot on here about people getting bad cystic outbreaks. My skin is clear for the first time in about 10 years and I really don't want to deal with that again. Thanks again for all your help!

Mike

It does seem to "stretch" out the skin and produce collagen

I never knew Retin-A produced collagen? This is really true? I've actually been using it for the past week. Today I didn't put it on though. My skin started to get really raw where I was putting it. So today I just put on lotion. I've been loving it though because it has stretched out my skin to where my scars are less noticeable. The main reason I've been using it is to prepare my skin for the super cop x2 stuff I ordered. Now that I hear produces collagen.

FYI - I also bought 200 needles today too. I'm doing needling :) Can't wait to start something finally!

yup, retinoids stimulate collagen, I've been having fantastic results with Tazorac and will use it as long as I live. I feel like a total supermodel these days. Well not really, but... I'm like the fat girl who became thin and bleached her hair and became a cheerleader and slept with the football captain. Yes, Taz will change your life.

Some people don't react well to retinoids, though.

yup, retinoids stimulate collagen, I've been having fantastic results with Tazorac and will use it as long as I live. I feel like a total supermodel these days. Well not really, but... I'm like the fat girl who became thin and bleached her hair and became a cheerleader and slept with the football captain. Yes, Taz will change your life.

Ha! You're adorable! I'm so glad you're feeling/looking better, darlin'!!

p.s. do you use the exfol stuff with your cp serum, or just go solo?

Ha! You're adorable! I'm so glad you're feeling/looking better, darlin'!!

p.s. do you use the exfol stuff with your cp serum, or just go solo?

Butterflies! :) :) :) I'm glad to see you around. Well I don't use the exfol stuff at all, just cp serum, which I apply first. Ten minutes later I smear two pea-sized globs of Taz all over my face. It's getting soooooooo much better, although some days I look red and a little waxy. How's the supercopping coming along?