Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Raleigh

Effective and affordable makeup?

Hey everyone... I need some suggestions. My skin is a contradiction. I have oily skin, but sometimes I can get dry areas. I've been using L'oreal true match lately (super cheap), and before that I was using Maybelline. Neither worked (or works) for me, or got the right skin and color tone; even when I tried variants of my shade. I don't want to pay $35-40 for a foundation (which is what I stick to because I find that powder just doesn't look natural on me). The thing is, I'm looking for oil control, but nothing greasy, doesn't smudge easily, and with good coverage. Especially something that doesn't settle into fine lines and feels caked or like you're wearing makeup- the only thing is, I find that many of the weightless foundations I've tried in the past don't have very good coverage and feel greasy and sticky, or is too watery.

And what lotion can anyone recommended for application before makeup? Something to smooth and hydrate the skin, but doesn't feel too watery or thick.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, I want to switch from my current blush, and I haven't liked the brushes I've been using to apply them, can anyone recommend a good line/brand?

What about Revlon Colorstay for oily skin? I've heard good things about it.

As for moisturizer b/f makeup-I've used anything cheap-ish...cetaphil,cetaphil with SPF 15,neutrogena extreme SPF 40, neutrogena moisture SPF 15, Oil of Olay complete...I've found they all work well...

I really like Revlon Powder Blush as well...

Colorstay has like a cult following. Either you absolutely love it or you totally hate it. It's a nice silicone based makeup, with high coverage, and it wears like iron. For me it's too mask like and way too drying, but there are people who swear by the stuff.

I like lighter makeups. I'm a big fan of "mineral makeups", but most are pricey. A nice drug store alternative I've come across is Maybelline Pure Makeup...It's kinda geared toward oily skin and is a simple polymer stabalized water based makeup (which is fine for acne prone peeps, since it's more like a lotion formula than a makeup). It's only like 5$. I hardly ever wear makeup, but yesterday I had to go to a meeting after work (more of a social gathering) that I totally forgot about. We have tons of makeup here, from all different brands. I remember kinda likeing that one, but it made me a little flakey. For some reason I wanted to try it out again. I moisturized well (I like Aveeno Ultra Calming SPF 15) and applied just a little I really liked the coverage and finish, and I didn't get flakey the whole night....Some of my oil returned, but it gave a nice, very slight sheen to my skin......I may actually be willing to shell out the 5$ for my own.......

As far as blushes go....not too sure, since I don't really wear it too often, but I do know to never use the brush that comes with your blush (they're usually crappy and apply way too much product). I'd invest in a Blush Brush (you can actually get some decent ones at drugstores, Revlon has some nice ones that are pretty inexpensive).

Thanks so much! Your replies are really helpful!

I've heard a lot of people comment about dermablend recently, and before then I'd never heard of it. Is there anything I should know about it?

If you get dry areas, maybelline pure will probably make you flakey. It makes my skin peel even when it feels oily. I tried mixing mine with moisturizer, and the coverage went down to absolutely nothing but I still got some flakes. On me, the finish is also very powdery, which makes it look fake. It just doesn't work for me -- I'd only recommend it for someone with very oily skin that breaks out from anything else who will only buy drugstore-priced makeup. Merle Norman aqua base is similar, but has better coverage and a nicer finish, and still works for oily skin (unfortunately it also makes me flake, but not as badly).

Have you tried anything from MAC or Clinique? They both have options in the $20 range. MAC products make some people break out, but I've heard from just as many people who swear by studio fix as who break out from it. Clinique has a lot of different options, and they have a new powder makeup coming out soon.

If I get Maybelline pure makeup...how should I apply it? I'm afraid if I just do my cheeks and nose it'll be noticeably fake looking? Should I try a sponge?

I've been using the new Colorstay flex for over two weeks now everyday and really like it. I even fell asleep in it a few times with no breakouts. The former discontinued Colorstay "natural" seemed to be "not so good" for my skin. The original was too heavy. I think the new flex version is really good. It covers well and seems to bend well with the skin and for me doesn't seem to look too cakey. I have some minerals but prefer a bit more coverage. One day I may get brave enough to go out in minerals alone but it takes some techniqe to get a good look with it and takes time. I was formerly using Clinque clarifying and Superfit which are good. I have quite oily skin which can still get dehydrated and the Clinique clarifying might dry some out and has a tendency to look a bit pasty but is great for breakout prone skin and also seems to bend with the skin. The Superfit breaks me out on occasion and gets kinda "dewey" on my skin within a few hours. I am amazed at this new Colorstay. I would probably easily spend at least 20 on a foundation for everyday. I just hate paying 30+ for everyday foundation. To me, this Colorstay flex is great and long lasting. Doesn't look cakey and my skin looks good after I wash it off (doesn't dry me out or break me out). I purchased the natural beige which is tecnically probably too dark for me but blends into my neckline and looks fresh. Only 12.99 and Walgreens sometimes has the buy one get one free sale. The pure makeup I wasn't crazy about but I didn't use a primer underneath, just moisturizer and it almost seemed to slide off my face in around 3 hours but loved the way it looked for the first few. I have quite oily skin but still battle fine lines. If you are like this, you may want to try the colorstay flex.

I've been using the new Colorstay flex for over two weeks now everyday and really like it. I even fell asleep in it a few times with no breakouts. The former discontinued Colorstay "natural" seemed to be "not so good" for my skin. The original was too heavy. I think the new flex version is really good. It covers well and seems to bend well with the skin and for me doesn't seem to look too cakey. I have some minerals but prefer a bit more coverage. One day I may get brave enough to go out in minerals alone but it takes some techniqe to get a good look with it and takes time. I was formerly using Clinque clarifying and Superfit which are good. I have quite oily skin which can still get dehydrated and the Clinique clarifying might dry some out and has a tendency to look a bit pasty but is great for breakout prone skin and also seems to bend with the skin. The Superfit breaks me out on occasion and gets kinda "dewey" on my skin within a few hours. I am amazed at this new Colorstay. I would probably easily spend at least 20 on a foundation for everyday. I just hate paying 30+ for everyday foundation. To me, this Colorstay flex is great and long lasting. Doesn't look cakey and my skin looks good after I wash it off (doesn't dry me out or break me out). I purchased the natural beige which is tecnically probably too dark for me but blends into my neckline and looks fresh. Only 12.99 and Walgreens sometimes has the buy one get one free sale. The pure makeup I wasn't crazy about but I didn't use a primer underneath, just moisturizer and it almost seemed to slide off my face in around 3 hours but loved the way it looked for the first few. I have quite oily skin but still battle fine lines. If you are like this, you may want to try the colorstay flex.

Your post has been the most helpful by far- thanks for the advice :angel: ! Is Colorstay flex a Revlon product? And do you apply it with a sponge or just using your fingers?

Revlon Colorstay flex makeup is pretty good. I have moderate acne and this helps lessen the redness and creates more evenness. My skin is also sensitive and dry and it seems to wear well. Shake before use. I use a sponge, but keep it clean or fingers work too.

What is this dermablend? And read something about a Neostrata coverblend as well? Would like more info if anyone knows!

Currently using Revlon Colorstay flex makeup, but unfortunately would like something with a bit more coverage sometimes.

Hi, the Colorstay flex is a Revlon product. I use the sponge wedges. I use one side once, then the other, then toss it. So one will last for two applications. I first apply moisturizer and then hold the bottle upside down / slanted up to the sponge untill the proper amount comes out. It will take a few times to know the right amount you need. Then I dab the makeup on and blend, blend, blend. I think with the sponge, you can either get a light coverage or build it a little. OH, OH I have to share this. With all the rave about the prescriptives magic "silicone" line smoother to fill in indents. I so far couln't bring myself to buy any since I have loads of makeup and products (some higher end) which are just sitting. In either case, I went shopping in my bathroom to look for a primer which may be similar. I found a little sample of the Clinique pore minimizer instant perfection. This worked by almost filling in a rather large boxcar on my cheek which has plaqued me for years!!! I was shocked. While I am still trying to perfect the procedure, the Pore minimizer instant perfection has a thick / almost spackle like texture and seems to adhere to the skin pretty well!!!!!!!!!!!! This morning I didn't have enough time to toy with it, but wow. It seems to work as a spackle!! I think the Revlon colorstay flex is the best makeup for me that I've tried in a long time and I am somewhat of a foundation junkie. Always looking for the perfect one...

what about ColorStay Active by Revlon? I'm thinking of getting that most likely or Maybelline Pure..I'll probably send away for samples first! I'll get wedge sponges to apply it like you said in the previous post, but what about concealer/moisterizer/bronzer...over/under/where? haha srryI'm lost with makeup!

but what about concealer/moisterizer/bronzer...over/under/where? haha srryI'm lost with makeup!

Moisturizer goes on first. Most people use concealer second, though I've had a few MAs at counters apply it after foundation. Bronzer goes on top of your foundation (powder if you use it). If you use too much bronzer, you can apply a layer of powder on over it, though. And just a tip -- your bronzer will look better if you use it on the hollows of your cheeks to contour, and use a peachy blush on the apples of your cheeks. It's more natural that way. If you're cool-toned, stick to a pinky peach, though -- a pure peach is only flattering to warm-toned skin.