Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
trenem

My Accutane Adventure

Hello Everyone!

I am a 23 year old female and I am on day two of accutane, of course nothing to report. I took my first pill last night and just popped the second one a few minutes ago. I did have quite the headache today, but I often have them so I can't say it was from the pill or not. It was taken care of with a few headache relievers. My acne really isn't that bad as of right now, due to antibiotics I have been on, but my progress came to a stop at a certain point with every different thing I tried. I was tired of using topicals in the morning, topicals at night and remembering to take a pill every day to just get mild results. Next step, accutane! Took a long time to get to this point. Got blood tests, lab forgot to do pregnancy blood test, had to get blood drawn again, then my perscription expired, had to wait to get a new one in the mail (Derm is 45 minute drive away which where I live isn't really a major thing to go 45 minutes to get to major town) Ahh! Then pharmacy didn't have it in stock, so another day goes by till finally 2.5 weeks after derm appointment I get my perscription filled! Well, It is getting late and I do have to work tomorrow, I need plenty of sleep to teach all the kids in the special ed classroom I work in!

Hello everyone!

Day 4, of course nothing to share. My plan was to post daily, but when you are so super sensitive paranoid like me, I don't want anyone I know to know how I feel about my skin. Its been hard to get to the computer without anyone knowing what I am doing since the computer is in the living room! No one even knows I go to the dermatologist. Is that weird? Maybe, but oh well. Ahhh....Aren't saturdays great!

Anyway, if anyone on here has any advice for being proactive with the side effects, please let me know!

Have a great weekend all!!!

Good luck. We started about the same time so I will be interested in your progress.

Clear skin! Is such a great thought.

Just showered and noticed the texture of my skin was slightly different. Can't really explain it, its not dry, or oily, kind of a rubbery feeling??? Hard to explain I guess. No active pimples right now, but I know that there will be many many more to come before this journey is over!

Hi... I am also a 23 year old female, 40 mg per day, on day 13. Not too bad, clearing up already, but I dont know how long this will last. Only 4 new blemishes in the past few days, 2 whiteheads and 2 small cysts. The hardest thing is not popping/picking, especially the whiteheads, b/c they are just screaming to be popped (I know, its bad). But if you have any questions about side effects or how the meds progress, I am more than happy to offer info on my personal experiences, since I'm a little ahead of you. This is a very exciting time for all of us!!! YAY!!! Clear skin!!!!

Thanks to everyone who posted

Popped Pill 6 last night. Still waiting for the wretched side effects, so far nothing major. Nose was a tad dry, but I also forgot to pack my face lotion so I wasn't able to use it for a few days. Anyways, gotta make this post short as I need to get in the shower to get to work. I miss substituting! Lots of days off! JK have a great day everyone!

I am one day behind you, I took pill #6 today. Nothing major to report, my skin feels a little more oilier and irritated, but no dryness. Can't wait to see how we progress through this whole journey!

hey ! i'm a 22 year old female also on 40 mg. isn't the red tape around accutane kind of ridiculous? my dermatologist is several states away (im at college) so we are cheating the system by doing pregnancy tests over the phone, etc. i barely made the 7day expiration on the prescription because it took so long to get the blood test back. it seems they are doing everything they can to make it impossible to fill!

anyway good luck with your course.. i'm on day 12 myself.

Hello everyone-

Thank you for the posts, I love hearing about everyones progress. I try really hard to read everyone else's logs!

I will soon be taking pill 8 tonight. Skin is getting dry, but is still very oily too. So I get best of both worlds, FANTASTIC! Dry AND oily. Lips are sry but aren't chapping yet. I try to stay proactive and use chapstick all the time and really slather it on before bed. I have been having really bad headaches, but I think that is due to the cold I am getting. I am a teacher so I am around ALOT of germs! Finally caught something.

As far as skin goes, just one pimple right now. Right by my lip. Skin tone is looking ok, but not great. This cold has really made my skin pale, and I think it took the redness out of the old acne marks too because they are very light as well. Hope everyone else is doing ok with their progress.

Hope everyone has a great night! Its only Tuesday, but have a great week!

STAY POSITIVE

Hey,

I'm glad to see you are doing really well. I'm currently on my sixth pill and I'M feeling the dryness, cause the cold seems to just take all the moisture out of my skin..Yah i'm experiencing the same thing, the oil is still there(my forehead seems to be oilier than usual)..can't wait till the shine is gone.. I was just reading your post about the headaches and I never had a headache for years , BUT for teh last couple of days my head seems to be throbbing..i thought I was getting a cold too, but I'm starting to think it's a side effect of Accutane?..I was wondering if anyone else experiences these Headaches???Hope everyone's accutane experience goes well!

Take Care..

Hey there-

Defeat- Hope your headache goes away, I have them ALL THE TIME so its hard for me to say if it has anything to do with meds or not.

I have been having hot flash type feelings the last few days where I get really hot, which is unusual for me. I teach an elementary resource class and so I share a room another teacher and an associate who are much older than me, im 23, they have grandkids, and so they are usually dying of heat and I am wearing my coat because I am so cold, but lately, I am sweating right along with them and then I get really cold, this also could be from my cold too. I don't like havin a cold at the beginning of treatment, I don't know what to blame on what! If anyone else has noticed the feelings of being really hot let me know!!

-T

Day 8

Face is drying out some. No headache today. Lips are burning but not chapping.

So if anyone has been reading my log, they would know I am super self concious about acne and who knows I go to the derm or anything. Anyway, I am a teacher (resource) for a class of kids with learning disabilities. Well at the end of the day, kids have a studyhall and any of my students can come in and get help. Well a sixth grader came in and they were studying fingerprints. No big deal. Then he whips out this other assignment, guess what it is about. Skin. More specifically he has about 10 pages of printouts about ZITS. His assignment was like a mock dear abby. He had five different letters he could respond to. He was the doctor and the people writing were asking questions about different zit situations. He had to pretend to be Dr. Zitclear and respond appropriately to questions. For example one was

Dear Dr Zitclear-

I want to start wearing makeup, what are the risks?

He had to respond about washing nightly and using oil free products.

So here I am, face full of zits, can't even say the word acne OUTLOUD on a normal day and I have to teach this kid about zits. Fantastic day.

At least he had a zit of his own on his chin!

-T

Day 10

Same ol same ol with the exception of the oil production has gone way down. I can go all day without HAVING to blot. I could still maybe stand to do it once midday, but my forhead isn't shining like a 1000 watt light bulb anymore. Yay. Had to teach a kid about zits again. Even when I would call to make derm appts, I couldn't say the word acne. When they would ask me what I was wanting to see them for I would say I want to clear my skin. I just couldn't say the word, now I have to say it all the time with a kid staring right at my face. BOO. Anyway, I am thinking I am getting braver and maybe will post some pics but I don't have any that really show the before, like the before I took any type of meds and had a face completely covered in zits, deep red cycts. Now my skin is almost totally clear and the red marks are really fading, so I don't think pics would do justice, everyone would say I look fine blah blah blah. But at the bad times, acne certainly didn't feel fine. Acne certainly has more emotional pain for me than physical. I am enjoying using public bathrooms with bright flourescent lighting. I am not afriad to look at my boyfriend when I wake up in the morning. I don't cry when I see myself in the mirrow after a shower. I don't keep my head lowered to the ground in shame anymore. I let my boyfriend touch my face when he gives me a kiss. Its a miracle. My self esteem has gone up so much. I would probably even use a hot tub at a flourescently room at a hotel pool, Well maybe, that is pushing it.

Anyway, its friday YAY!!

Day 11

Took pill 11 last night. So excited because I woke up this morning, SLEPT IN, and didn't feel like I needed to shower right when I got out of bed because my hair and face was so oily. I just love touching my face. I am guessing this is what good skin is supposed to feel like. I have had bad skin so long its hard to say what healthy skin feels like, but I bet its pretty close to this!!!

Trenem,

That's funny about your student studying zits! I think I'd ask him to find another topic.

I've been told that Aquaphor is much better for the lips than chapstick, so you might want to try that if the chapstick just doesn't seem effective enough.

Best Wishes!

P&W

I meant to go buy some aquaphor last weekend but i forgot. Small town USA means you have to drive 30 miles to get to the closest store that sells that kind of thing! And when I say small town, im not talking thousands, im talking 1 thousand people. Where I lived before was less than 100 people! Sucks to drive, but I like the closeness of people! Sort of off topic sorry!

I meant to go buy some aquaphor last weekend but i forgot. Small town USA means you have to drive 30 miles to get to the closest store that sells that kind of thing! And when I say small town, im not talking thousands, im talking 1 thousand people. Where I lived before was less than 100 people! Sucks to drive, but I like the closeness of people! Sort of off topic sorry!

I grew up in a town of 3000, so I know what you're talking about. It was an hour and 20 minutes to the nearest Walmart-type store. When you go to look for the Aquaphor, it won't be by the chapstick. It will be with the hand lotions. I went to three stores before I finally figured that out!

Some people also like the Burt's Beeswax, but it's expensive and waxy (of course). I think there are concerns by some about using a petroleum product, but I'm don't really know much about that.

I have some burts bees and I don't really care for it. No staying power in my opinion. I have used aquaphor before, so I knew it was a lotion, but thanks anyway incase someone else on here was unsure of that. Its a pain driving that far to walmart, but oh well!

HI

How are you? Thought I would say hello as you dropped in on my log and it’s nothing to do with you looking very sexy in your pic. Honestly. Well, maybe it is.

Did you see on my log about using Bepanthem? I don’t know if it’s called the same thing in the US but it’s definitely worth a look. Hope everything’s going well and I’ll definitely keep reading.

Shunts-

I will look into that. I have never heard of it before. THanks for the compliment by the way.

Day 13-I believe

Havent posted for a day or so. Nasty storms yesterday so we had the computer off all day long.

SKin is getting dryer, lips too, same headaches. My head is really itchy. Get my blood tests done tomorrow. Derm appointment on Thursday. Hope everyone is ok. Time to get ready for work!

T

Took pill 16 last night. Got a few little marks, but nother major. The one on my lip line is finally going down, it doesn't hurt to talk anymore! At least is was small and pretty much unnoticeable. Had another teeny one above my eye that is also going down. I have my first derm appointment today after being presribed Tane. Hoping to get my iPledge password so I can continue my treatment with no delays. Good luck to everyone and have a great day all!

Thank you for the replies P&W and FireGurl!

Day 18

I went to my derm Thursday and my counts were way out of wack. My cholesterol levels were through the roof, and everything else went up a lot. My triglycerides were a little high before I even started the drug. My doc wants to wait one more month before changing anything so I still will get to take the accutane thank goodness! I was afraid when she told me about my levels she was going to pull the plug on me. If they don't go down she said she may have me take lipitor to finish out my treatment. Anyone else been prescribed lipitor (cholesterol meds) while on accutane? I feel like I will be popping so many pills! Have a great day everyone!