Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
welshboy_073

scared sh*tless of isotretinoin

im seeing a consultant in 20 days to get isotretinoin hopefully, but after reading the possible side effects, im now stuck in a position where i do and dont want the drug, i generally have greasy hair and skin but im frightened this drug is gonna mess up my body. How common are side effects and which ones occur more than others? apart from the dry skin.

Id say youre almost guarenteed to get the dry lips, as for the others, it varies from person to person.

I know it sounds pretty bad, but its something you need to weigh the pros and cons about.

For me personally i got the chapped lips, very dry skin, sensitivity to light, itchy eyes, the odd nose bleed. Soem of these actually only lasted for a bit.

For the internal worries, they will be monitoring your blood (well, my derm did) so they will be be keeping an eye on you.

People shouldn't worry so much about the side effects, they really aren't as bad people make 'em out to be. All I got was chapped lips and dry skin and nosebleeds. But all that pales in comparison to the awesome skin you'll have after accutane.

hey fellow welsh. i just started 5 weeks ago. go for it. i was a little worried. but i looked at it this way. if i had not found this site i would not even know about the drug. if you had just been refered to your derm and he gave you these pills and they cleared up your acne would you have worried about side effects??

if you read the side effects on any pill you take from the doctor you would not take them in fear. all pills have loads of side effects. the dry skin is nothing. it just means that your oil has decreased or gone and that they are working. plus all tjhat stuff goes away when you finish the course anyway. so ask yourself this, is 4-5 months of dry skin and chapped lips worth a lifetime of clear skin?? i think so.

now i just hope it works lol.

good luck and seriously try not to worry about the side effects, if your acne is bothering you and you have tried loads of things then go for it.

This reply is to a post from someone who felt just as you did:

I initially thought that Accutane was very frightening. I declined taking it for over 2 years, even though my dermatologist through my old insurance thought I should take it. After taking it now, I really regret waiting this long to take it. It has changed my life for the better and has allowed me to have something positive to look forward to.

The MAJOR side-effects for males can be monitored through monthly blood samples. I have experienced some minor side-effects such as problems with transitions in lighting and chapped lips. But those negatives are of no comparison to the positive aspects of 'tane. My face, for the first time in years, has been clearing up. If you have been fighting SERIOUS acne for years, I really don't see a better solution than 'tane. It's really not as bad as some people perceive it to be. It was not nearly as bad as I perceived it to be. I hope this answers all of your questions. If you have any further personal questions, feel free to PM me or msg me on AIM. I am more than happy to answer any questions you have! :D

Go for it, its not as bad as you think, i was scared shitless as well to take it, the first week taking it, i was scared outta my mind thinking it was gunna mess me up, but im now on month 3, and im doing fine! and not getting as many breakouts!

A lot of the people on here are hypochondriacs they think random stuff that happens to them is caused by accutane. I've been on it a month and a half and it is a breeze. Dry skin and chapped lips aren't even that bad. It almost makes me mad how people on these forums say accutane is hurting them. Wouldn't the medicine be pulled off the market if it was messing people up?

A lot of the people on here are hypochondriacs they think random stuff that happens to them is caused by accutane. I've been on it a month and a half and it is a breeze. Dry skin and chapped lips aren't even that bad. It almost makes me mad how people on these forums say accutane is hurting them. Wouldn't the medicine be pulled off the market if it was messing people up?

Couldnt agree more

accutane is a miracle drug. im going to tell you exactly the side effects I have had/continue to have. I was on 40mg Isotetrin for 6 months. Im 1-2months off it now and my acne has not returned yet.

1) dry lips. these are bad but you can deal with them. very small price to pay TRUST ME. Just hard to kiss girls lol

2) dry skin/red skin. I DID NOT MOISTURIZE. Moisturizing made my skin 10 times worse. The stuff on the market is so irritating. The best thing you can do is just wash your face less. If you have oily skin, all your oil will be gone mark my words (which was a huge plus for me).

3) slight aches in bones, but very minor. Really hardly noticed it and i was active all the time with the occasional ache here or there but went away fast.

4) thinning hair. I have very very thick hair so it didnt matter, but i definitely noticed a thinning. If you have very thin hair, you may want to think about this. They say thinning hair is a "rare" side effect (like 10-15 % of people or something like that) but it happened to me. But like i said, i have thick hair and i actually WELCOMED the thinning seriously LOL!

my advice to you. accutane is the best thing out there. don't let other people tell you otherwise. I guess there are some bad experiences with every drug, but after nothing else worked well for me and after 3 years of being on a more dangerous drug (bactrim, which could cause even death or permanent skin loss) accuate worked wonders.

I would reccommend it. Small price to pay for completely clear, oil free skin. I hope my skin stays this way!

I'm a little more than 4 1/2 months into Accutane. I've had NO side effects untill this week....And that's just a little chapped lips. I just need to use lip stuff more often. And the chapped lips could be from the weather and not from the Accutane. I live in Massachusetts...it's been really cold and windy this week....temps near 0 with the wind chill.

But, the results have been amazing. I'm completely clear! If my cysts returned again at a later time and I needed another course of Accutane....I wouldn't hesitate at all....I'd take it again in a second.

Also, remember that you are monitored very closely by your derm with monthly visits and monthly blood work. Good luck.

If it was such a horrible med then your dr. would not be prescribing it. I know people have this idea that all drs. want is your money and they will put you on any medication or tell you that you need surgery if that means they make a profit, but that just isn't the case. If your derm thought you needed Accutane then you probably need Accutane.

I would say go for it. I have taken 5 pills so far and I swear my face is looking better all ready. It is probably all in my head, but I love the results so far.

There is a very little possibility that you will experience some really nasty side effect. Very, very little.

So don't worry and go for it.

But don't forget to do the best to avoid any side-effects - use lip balm, moisturize 2 times a day, eat a healthy diet - check this thread

Accutane is worth it! I'm off of it for about a month now and the worst side effect I got was dry lips. My lips were horrible even after using many lip ointment. No dry skin, no nose bleed, but in the beginning of my course, I had a bit of joint pain.

I think all of the suicides/depression and all of these horrible side effects are blown out of proportion. It is very rare and if you know what you're doing, you'll be fine.

yeah go for it

I got the usual side effects of chapped lips and dry eyes creaky joints and pains other than that nothing

plus your doctor gives a monthly appt to make sure your ok

go for it youll regret it if u don't

"Fear is the easiest way to defeat"

They kinda exaggerate side effects. Barly anything happened to me because I took care of my body. No drugs/beer and eat healthy and take Dandelion roots and Fish Oil daily.

I've been off 3 months and I am starting to see a few pimples coming back...but it could be to the unheathy lifestyle I've been living after tane. Including doing Meth a few times.

I felt exactly the same as you before I started accutane, I was shitting myself because I had been reading these message boards too much!

Week 4 of accutane, my acne is fading, and as a result im as happy as i've ever been.

The side effects ive noticed

- dry lips, eliminated by vaseline

- mild headacches, go by paracetomal

Would definitly recommend this drug, it does wonders for acne prevention

ive always had fine hair anyway and thats prob the side effect im most frightened about, :S what do i do ?!?! its like being giving an ultimatum bad acne or hair loss and to be honest both don't sound that appealing :|:(