Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i've gotten fairly good at picking the color in the store when i can see it in the bottle or on a tester, but i'm going to order some mineral makeup and i have no idea how to figure out what shades i should be looking at. i know that first i should determine what skin tone i have...but i cant seem to get a handle on it!! i'm such a mess lol...i feel like im failing some vital girl test here lol. anyway if someone could point me in the right direction on this i'd really appreciate it...

Guest Gentle~Rain

Order samples. First pick shade...light, medium or dark. ( this should be easy ...do you tend to wear Ivory? Then stick with lighter shades. Beige=medium....etc) Tone is harder. W=warm, that means more yellow tones....C=cool=more pink, N= neutral= a mix of the two. I was always taught to look at the back of my wrist on a piece of white paper. If the skin has a yellow tint go for W, if a pink tint, go for C....if you just can't tell, then you probably have a mix and N shades will look good. I was also told once that if your veins look green through your skin then you are a W....if they look more blue then you are a C but I don't know how good that works :( ......what are the names of some of the colors you like in the makeups you use now?

Oh and some places will help you...if they have e-mail, just tell them the brand and color you wear and most times they can tell you what is closest in their line.

thanks gentle rain...i think i might be a neutral bc i dont see any yellow or pink...i can see blue veins and green veins...ack my body is weird!! lol.....hopefully this will help some....i wish Post-Katrina we had more stores here that could help...grrr

I don't like going to depatment store makeup associates, but they usually much of a better job than i coudl ever do in shade selecting! I just wrote about this in another post, but "Prescriptives" has a GREAT shade selection, and they do a great job at finding the right shade for you.

Guest Tenshi

i always used to choose my own shades...then 1 day i wanted to get the laura mercier...the sales lady was so pushy and outgoing that i just did what she told me to do..lol gawd..she made me sit there while she wiped my makeup off and put it on again in front of everyone..but that day was the best color ive ever gotten..perfect match.. so go professional advice.

yeah we have some stores open in our mall now (i live in Katrina Country as its called here lol) so i'm going to go there in the next week or so...thanks

Yeah, go to a department store and even if you don't buy makeup from them ask them what undertones your skin has and they'll be able to tell you. A lot of times the websites will describe the colors, on sephora.com a lot of foundation colors have descriptions of the shade and whether they're yellow, pink, etc. Also, if you go to MAC (I've noticed the salespeople at the boutiques to be most knowledgeable but they have counters in dept stores as well), it's easy to figure out -- if your shade starts with NC or C, you're warm, and if it starts with NW, you're cool (yes, it's backwards). It's helpful to know your MAC shade in general because on makeupalley, the reviewers tend to use them as reference so you know how your skin compares to the reviewers' and can tell if a product is a good color for you.

Do you have a local Sephora? You can try them out yourself. I love Bare Minerals and found my perfect shade- first time in my life! (I'm 38)

i would love to be able to go to a sephora store...but im in Mississipp and we dont have one close at all, i looked the other day online lol. all we have is a merle norman store and the dept store counters of course. the merle norman store is still here, just in a different building bc Katrina destroyed the old one and only 2 or 3 of the dept. stores are open in the mall right now. but im going to work with what i have lol...but OMG if i had easy access to bare minerals to try it i'd be in heaven!!