Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Tenshi

Did u have self - esteem problems b4 acne?

Guest Tenshi

I always hear about ppl who say Oh my God, acne has changed me...i used to be so outgoing and happy and now i never wanna leave the house..

Well, were any of u shy or had a poor self image b4 any of this came along? do u think it's easier for the ppl who were extroverted to get acne? because then they can get past it and still come off with a good attitude?

Before I got acne, I will be honest, I didn't favor my nose much, but I was still very outgoing. I didn't wear make up. I always wanted to do things.

had it since i was 10 :(

always bothered me, and bothers me more as time passes...

I was extremely happy, outgoing, and social up until I was like 15. Then good ol' bipolar hit...and it hit HARD. Fucked my life up in worse ways that acne could never even imagine doing. Ruined my life in every way possible...not exagerating. Acne was just the straw that broke the camels back. I think that's the saying anyway. I'm pretty sure the lithium I was on contributed to the acne I have. It's gotten better since I stopped taking it. Both are finally improving after the years that followed...so I'm trying to look on the bright side of things again, and turn my life around.

I was pretty shy when I was really young, I used to speak softly.. Once I hit high school I started to get a bit crazy. :D

Then acne hit and the blows to my self esteem kept coming. I didn't particularly think little of myself before acne though, so I guess you could say I was fine before people started piling shit on me over it.

Now I'm socially retarded, as today has just proven to me.. :(

*deep sigh*

I've always been shy with strangers. Gimmie a coupla days and I'm the opposite :razz: TBH, I dont think acne has changed me that much.

I was just a kid when I started getting acne, so I didn't care about my self image or anything then.

I am, however, satisfied with how I look physically. Take away the acne, and I really have nothing to complain about - if I complained I would be nitpicking.

I have issues with some of my personality traits, how I deal with things emotionally, my outlook on life, etc.... It's hard for me to say if acne has influenced them. I can point out positives about myself. I'm just more aware of the negatives than I used to be.

Before highschool I was pretty shy, but once I got to high school, I was very out going, popular and had a great group of mates.

When I first got acne, I put on a brave face, and tried to act the same way, but inside I felt like I was dieing, I found it harder and harder to look people in the face, I found it hard to meet new people, my acne totally consumed every minute of my day, it was always in my mind, nobody really knew how bad it effected me, because I kept my brave face, only my parents really knew just how much it was destroying me.

Once I hit 20 it started to clear, and I slowly regained my confidence and felt good about myself, and now at 26, I feel great about myself, other than the occasional spots, I think I'm pretty blessed with my looks. My social skills are excellent.

But I do wish I could live my teen years all over, without that shit all over my face, and enjoy them like I should have.

Don't get me wrong, I was happy in every other way, but this really took a hold of my life, and stopped it from being what it should have been.

The sooner they find a cure, even if topical to totally stop the symtoms of spots, the better!

I had some probs in high school because i looked veryy young and had a high voice.... i still only look like im 16 and im 20 now but i dont care anymore i was/am still always partying

Guest PokaHotAz

well before acne i will admit i always tried to find something wrong with me,.... either i was "fat" or my nose was "MS. Piggy" like...

or something.... there was always something, but i was still pretty outgoing, i went out, i did whatever i wanted to do, and nothing really held me back...

now i just rather stay home then go out...which was never the case for me...

Well I got acne when I was really young too, so it affected my development throughout school. I took out alot of my frustrations on my friends at the time. :(

Before acne I was'nt really bothered by appearances, it isn't something that concerns you at a young age.

Now i'm pretty much through it at 20 and i'm really starting to feel good about myself, I have alot going for me, and apart from acne I feel quite lucky.

I was always a shy and quiet child and when I started getting acne around 12 or 13 it just got worse! But when I'm having a good day and I'm wearing make up and feeling confident I'm still shy but I can kind of fake that I'm outgoing when I need to.

i had some body image problems because i was always so skinny but it never stopped chicks from wanting to get with me, plus i had a great circle of friends so i didnt really have any self esteem issues.

i was totally self confident and happy before acne, stayed that way as it got mild, then even moderate. By the time it was severe it started to take a toll...i had it so long it just made me feel hopeless. Took away the whole young invinicible thing.....maybe thats good meh i doubt.

I still put on a good front at college and work, but all the old feelings are still around unfortunatly. Though everyone puts on a front to a certain extent, maybe thats just part of growing up and i need to get a grip lol

Guest Tenshi

i was totally self confident and happy before acne, stayed that way as it got mild, then even moderate. By the time it was severe it started to take a toll...i had it so long it just made me feel hopeless. Took away the whole young invinicible thing.....maybe thats good meh i doubt.

I still put on a good front at college and work, but all the old feelings are still around unfortunatly. Though everyone puts on a front to a certain extent, maybe thats just part of growing up and i need to get a grip lol

how old are u? ur not 12 are u?

i just thought maybe that's why having clearer skin nowadays from the accutane i still felt not entirely happy..because of issues ive always had with my self image..and acne was just the final blow that knocked me down.. i guess i feel now is my chance to catch up on all those yrs of hating myself..

No, and it was just 1 and a half years ago!

I used to be shy with girls when I was a teen, especially coz I have a very conservative father (atheist tho), but no problems.

I was always a shy kid. I mean I guess I was pretty outgoing sometimes but honestly I was just always really quiet. I got even quieter in 7th grade, the start of Junior High

Yeah, little confidence, not that tall, fair skinned, different hair, then acne, and then less confidence...

I was much more confident before acne, but even though it really affected my confidence and esteem i was still able to accomplish alot of good things. i have a well paying job, a college diploma, a pretty girlfriend, and i also excelled at various sports. Not being concieited, i really think i would have accomplished tons more if i never had acne.

Shy around girls mostly other than that i was happpy as a newely wedd couple.I remember last year i got clear for some time and actually people started saying i m the most confident guy around.Girls even got involved with me, So i guess its easy for me to be confident again once my acne is gone.

I've had mild acne since i was age 13 so it's been a while but I think I've always had some self esteem issues even before I got acne. Even though my acne got worst as I got older, my self esteem has gotten alot better as I mature. But acne mainly contributes to my low self esteem.

I was a pretty happy kid, even though I started getting acne at about 8 or 9 yrs. I was a bit on the shy side, though. The acne got much worse right around 12 years, just when I really started caring about what boys thought of me. Before the acne got bad I was willing to go places and try things, but after it got bad, I found myself not wanting to go swimming or to camp, for example, because people would see me without makeup. It has definitely had a big impact on my life, and still does today. My best friend in high school got really mad at me when I wouldn't go to camp with her. The first 4 years of my marriage I didn't let my husband ever see me without my makeup on- how crazy is that? Today, I find myself worried about going swimming with my sweet little boys this summer- I really need to find a waterproof makeup. I know it's mental sickness, but I'm sure you all understand.