Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How the fuck do people do it?!?! I'm still toiling in mediocrity and hanging on by a thread academically in college...and I never fucking drink or do shit. And I just know I'm going to flunk out in the end. I can't fucking read textbooks, I can't consistently pay attention in lectures...does ANYONE actually READ TEXTBOOKS? What the fuck? Who has time to sit down and read 20 long pages of boring shit? Who does that?! I've never seen any proof that ANYONE reads the assigned chapters.

And yet all of these drunken morons pass college...end up fine. Yet here I am flunking out, with no hope of a bright future. I'm totally fucked. Totally. Am I really that fucking stupid that I can't pass these courses? Or does being drunk make you smarter somehow?

And then these shitheads "study" before exams...and yet how are they doing this? They drink 5 nights a week, then come back and all of a sudden, POOF, flashcards! Notes! Where the fuck did those come from? And how the fuck are they remembering this shit? And how the fuck are they able to even comprehend it, considering I can't fucking comprehend it and I know I'm fucking smarter than them.

WTF?

Maybe because they form study groups. I've never got into one, always sitting on my own during class, so I understand the total boredom.

Well i'm one of these people who actually READS the assigned chapters. And mind you it's 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 chapters 20 pages or more each. And you know where that gets me: a fucking 17/30!!!!

Wow i must be even more than stupid; i'm a complete vegetable

Yeah i'm pissed too because i studied so much and got a horrible mark, and yet my friend who didn't study as much got a fucking amazing mark

Hmmm well I dont drink every night of the week but I do party alot and rarely study..... what I do is cram which sometimes works like 92% on my first psych exam then 64% on my next psych exam.... im getting A's in all my classes all because I just cram before exams. For example I have a Ethics Midterm on thursday and i was supposed to study all week but didnt.... I have Noon class tomorrow and im waken up at 8 to cram some knowledge and then after work tomorrow night i will stay up late cramming some more.... Im up all the time and usually only get 4-5 hours of sleep a night so cramming doesnt screw up my brain during the test.... Another funny thing is i got promoted at UPS to a sorter position where I have to memorize zip codes of every state in the US and be able to put a package in 1 of 8 different color slots.... i havnt passed the sorter tests yet and i start friday haha

Well i'm one of these people who actually READS the assigned chapters. And mind you it's 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 chapters 20 pages or more each. And you know where that gets me: a fucking 17/30!!!!

Wow i must be even more than stupid; i'm a complete vegetable

Yeah i'm pissed too because i studied so much and got a horrible mark, and yet my friend who didn't study as much got a fucking amazing mark

Hey there,

I don't know whether this will be the same because i am at uni in Oz (and i'm assuming you guys are in the US/UK), but i NEVER do the required course readings. All i do is spend my time on the assignments/papers due during semester and get real good marks on those than when exam time comes around i learn all the lecture notes off by heart, and just ignore the readings, cause i think the readings are supposed to be for people who totally don't understand the lecture content. This is my system and its been ace for me for the past four years.

Hope this might help a little - i say fark the readings.

Rain :)

ya know it takes effort haha...I'm a total example of a drunken stoner studying before an 11am test I've got commin' in 10 hours.... was drinking screwdrivers and smoking untill about 2hours ago and realized I have a test to take so I've been cramming, thats how it is all the time for me.

Jordan, are you a freshman by any chance????

I was the queen of cramming back in school. I didn't really do much reading (but in my field there wasn't much reading required), I'd mostly just memorize my lecture notes, and regurgitate them ver batum on the exams. Most of my exams were open book (notebook anbd text) anyway, so reading the textbook was almost like a waste of time........For the classes that did have required reading, I'd skin through it right before class, so if there was a quiz, the info would be fresh in my head. I'd always study right before the exam, not the week before or not even the night before....

I'd party all week and then except for the entire night before (no sleeping) or entire day of the test (for night classes). I'd end up cramming a half a semester's info into about 6 hours......

I think learning to cram is essential to getting through college. Don't expect to memorize anything by just doing the assigned reading.

Oh and sleeping is way overrated in college........

Are you talking about college or university?

I'm in uni, and my technique is to turn up to every lecture and concentrate in the lecture, learn while you're there.

By doing this I get great marks even though I don't revise. If you put the effort in over an extended period like this, rather then all the night before you'll do better in my opinion.

It helps that i'm actually interested in the subject.

Animal's got a good point. Make for effective studying, rather than just frantic.

I, too, have this problem. I can study and study and still don't do well on tests sometimes.

How the fuck do people do it?!?! I'm still toiling in mediocrity and hanging on by a thread academically in college...and I never fucking drink or do shit. And I just know I'm going to flunk out in the end. I can't fucking read textbooks, I can't consistently pay attention in lectures...does ANYONE actually READ TEXTBOOKS? What the fuck? Who has time to sit down and read 20 long pages of boring shit? Who does that?! I've never seen any proof that ANYONE reads the assigned chapters.

And yet all of these drunken morons pass college...end up fine. Yet here I am flunking out, with no hope of a bright future. I'm totally fucked. Totally. Am I really that fucking stupid that I can't pass these courses? Or does being drunk make you smarter somehow?

And then these shitheads "study" before exams...and yet how are they doing this? They drink 5 nights a week, then come back and all of a sudden, POOF, flashcards! Notes! Where the fuck did those come from? And how the fuck are they remembering this shit? And how the fuck are they able to even comprehend it, considering I can't fucking comprehend it and I know I'm fucking smarter than them.

WTF?

You're not intrinsically interested in what you study. There are ways to improve intrinsic motivation/interest...but if it's not too late you should consider changing programs.

You can blame the education system for finding it hard to sit down and read too. School kills intrinsic interest in reading...you start to read because you have to, not because you want.

They may be able to comprehend it because, although it may not be quite that obvious to you, they actually are interested in the material.

How the fuck do people do it?!?! I'm still toiling in mediocrity and hanging on by a thread academically in college...and I never fucking drink or do shit.

maybe you should. Relax a little - it will make studying more fun.

And I just know I'm going to flunk out in the end. I can't fucking read textbooks, I can't consistently pay attention in lectures...does ANYONE actually READ TEXTBOOKS? What the fuck? Who has time to sit down and read 20 long pages of boring shit? Who does that?! I've never seen any proof that ANYONE reads the assigned chapters.

I love reading about subjects I'm interested in. Maybe you should switch your major to something that you're interested in.

Newsflash: most people I know take Adderall when it's time to study, and for tests. I don't, because I'm majoring in music, so it's easy and fun, but in economics, EVERYONE takes ADHD drugs. It's just the way it is. I know people who take cocaine to wake them up in the morning after a night of studying.

For me, being buzzed on MJ makes school-work (or anything, really) more appealing. Your focus drastically increases, blocking out all insignificant thoughts, so you can actually engage yourself in the material.

For me, being buzzed on MJ makes school-work (or anything, really) more appealing. Your focus drastically increases, blocking out all insignificant thoughts, so you can actually engage yourself in the material.

I took my SAT's on acid.....now that was an interesting experience....

How the fuck do people do it?!?! I'm still toiling in mediocrity and hanging on by a thread academically in college...and I never fucking drink or do shit. And I just know I'm going to flunk out in the end. I can't fucking read textbooks, I can't consistently pay attention in lectures...does ANYONE actually READ TEXTBOOKS?

Either you are seriously bored or you have attention deficit disorder.

Why not stop out for a year or so? There's no point spending money on school if you really just don't want to be there -- it's a waste.

Take a year off, do something else, think about your goals.

How'd that go? :lol:

Really well actually....I got an Ivy Leauge worthy score (1480/1600)....I tried it sober a year later, and didn't do nearly as well (1260/1600)....

Really well actually....I got an Ivy Leauge worthy score (1480/1600)....I tried it sober a year later, and didn't do nearly as well (1260/1600)....

Proves my point!

I am AMAZED that you could actually focus on the test. I would have lost myself watching the light show on the inside of my eyelids ...

Hah, you sound just like me. Who the hell has the will to read those 20 pages of text anyway? Well, the best advice I can give you is that always come to the test review, and pay very close attention. It doesn't substitute for reading, but it can shorten it quite a bit.

Well, I just needed to melt down last night (or technically early this morning). I did all right on the first test...exam 2 I probably bombed (since it was one of those blue book things...needed to write 4 essay questions, and one of them I completely pulled out of my ass...sounded convincing...I hope the professor writes that line from Billy Madison in response..."what you just said is the most idiotic...blah blah blah"). I actually just switched my major because I absolutely could NOT do two of the classes required for it...but pretty much all academic subjects bore me, and that was the one major with things I was semi-interested in. Most of those at least count towards this one, but I'm in second semester, year 3 and am still a sophomore.

I think I do better when I take tests with a sarcastic attitude. Then again, we'll see what the result of today's were.