Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
R.S.

Why taking ground flax may be better then the oil

"Recent research points to flax lignans as a natural alternative for the treatment of acne. Lignans have been shown to inhibit 5 alpha-reductase, an enzyme involved in the conversion of testosterone to DHT (its more active form). Inhibition of this enzyme shows promise in the treatment of a number of androgen-dependent disorders, including acne. Therefore flax lignans are of interest in the possible treatment of acne, although additional research is being conducted to confirm these findings."

http://www.flaxlignaninfo.com/RSG_Flax/Dig...1256FA80035A9B8

Well, I never found any flaxseed oil so I only bought normal flaxseed and put them in a lot of differend meal I prepare. Is it really better than the oil? I always thought that the oil might be more "concentrated" so better... And I don't know but "eating" these flaxseed is quite hard! So difficult to chew and all...

Maybe it's too much information(:redface:) but when I go to toilet now I often see "undigested" flaxseed... :think:

Well, I never found any flaxseed oil so I only bought normal flaxseed and put them in a lot of differend meal I prepare. Is it really better than the oil? I always thought that the oil might be more "concentrated" so better... And I don't know but "eating" these flaxseed is quite hard! So difficult to chew and all...

Maybe it's too much information(:redface:) but when I go to toilet now I often see "undigested" flaxseed... :think:

We can't digest whole flax seeds at all. You have to grind them to get any benefits from them.

I have some flax seeds but i don't have anything to grind them with :( so i just drink the oil

We can't digest whole flax seeds at all. You have to grind them to get any benefits from them.

D'oh!! :doh:

I don't have a grinder right now 'cause I'm travelling through Europe... Is there any other way to eat them(beside the oil)?

You couldn't eat enough flax to have a significant inhibition of 5a-reductase; and even if you could, I remind everyone that a recent study found that MK386 (a specific 5a-reductase type 1 inhibitor) had no beneficial effect on acne. And MK386 would be a LOT more effective at inhibiting 5a-reductase than flax lignans ever could be.

Bryan

I don't have a grinder right now 'cause I'm travelling through Europe... Is there any other way to eat them(beside the oil)?

Not really. Once ground, they must be refridgerated.

what do you think they dont have electric coffeegrinders in europe? :wall:

what do you think they dont have electric coffeegrinders in europe? :wall:

Oh silly me! I thought that europe was still in middle ages! :rolleyes:

For your information I'm backpacking all around(I've been to belgium, NETHERLAND, germany, danmark, finland, sweden, norway, france, italy, greece, portugal and I'm now in Spain) for more than six months now and I haven't seen ANY backpackers hostel with a eletric coffeegrinders. And I can't really carry a coffeegrinder everywhere in my backpack. If it's the only solution I might try to find the smallest one possible but still, it's totally incovenient.

And by the way, no need to show such arrogance and mean comment.

^ If you have access to boiling water, you can put whole flax seeds in a cup of boiling water for about 20 minutes and drink it. It's a mild laxative that way.

^ If you have access to boiling water, you can put whole flax seeds in a cup of boiling water for about 20 minutes and drink it. It's a mild laxative that way.

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure that by putting boiling water on the flax, you've destroyed the oil, so at that point, you're taking it for fiber, not the oil.

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure that by putting boiling water on the flax, you've destroyed the oil, so at that point, you're taking it for fiber, not the oil.

Well, the oil is IN the seeds, so if you don't grind them, the oil isn't affected. But yeah, drinking it this way is just for the fiber.

Well, the oil is IN the seeds, so if you don't grind them, the oil isn't affected. But yeah, drinking it this way is just for the fiber.

Ok, I didn't know that. Thanks!

BTW I found this while searching for a portable grinder: Flaxseed grinder.

Look useful for me :)

I tried that thing of sticking flax seeds in hot water once, all it did was make em like like tomato seeds (kinda slimey)!

I tried that thing of sticking flax seeds in hot water once, all it did was make em like like tomato seeds (kinda slimey)!

It's supposed to be like that.

I quit using flax because I was experiencing a loss of libido, and flax is reported to lower testosterone levels in the body.