Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChrissyC

My Consultation with Dr. Rapaport

Well. SO I bit the bullet and drove the two hours for my consultation with Rapaport. His office was easy to find and I made great time, so the thought of actually going there for treatment suddenly wasn't so horrific anymore. They kept me waiting for a while. Finally the patient-relations called me in to his office. Went over some medical history. She wanted to know how I had heard of Dr. Rapaport (acne.org!). She explained to me the different types of acne scars and how they treat them and what they charge. Also showed be some before and after pics, but the weren't the greatesst quality so it was a little hard to know what I was really looking at. Then Dr. Rapaport came in to evaluate my skin. He's very nice. "Smooth". What I expected, I guess. He said my skin isn't really all that bad although he understands that I think it's bad. And I know this. But I told him that I'd like to be able to go into the restroom at restaurants and not avoid the mirror. At which point I burst into tears. Which surprised me. I don't think I've ever cried about my scars before.

Anyway. To make a long story short, he didn't really tell me anything I haven't read on these boards. I went in thinking we'cd be talking TCA Cross or subcision. Turns out I don't really have any rolling scars. I have two deep icepicks, scarred pores and more shallow and superficial scars. He's recommending Fraxel. Said he'd start right under 20 and work up to 22 or 24, depending how my skin tolerates it. Also said that in the last three months they're using "gentle waves" which cuts down on the redness and downtime. I also asked about Portrait. He said he was involved in clinical trials and really feels that it works better for wrinkles. FOr as long as he's been treating acne scars with subcision and CROSS he really feels like Fraxel is the best thing out there.

So. Three treatments (fourth is free if I need it). Three weeks apart. I feel a little weird. I guess I was expecting it to be more complicated than just a pass with a laser. (And he was very clear he couldn't estimate how much my skin would improve. Just that it would. So I'm not expecting perfect skin. That;s not even realistic)

Anyway. I thought I'd be more enthusiastic but I'm not 100% sure whether I'm going to "go for it". Just feels surreal to think I might be 3 treatments away from better skin and also strangeto think that if I'm disapppointed in the results I'll be back to feeling like I'm out of options again. It feels nice to have "hope". But as soon as I go down this path and get to the end of it I might not feel "hope" anymore (if it doesn't work). I don't know if that makes sense.

Thanks for listening.

CHrissy

Well. SO I bit the bullet and drove the two hours for my consultation with Rapaport. His office was easy to find and I made great time, so the thought of actually going there for treatment suddenly wasn't so horrific anymore. They kept me waiting for a while. Finally the patient-relations called me in to his office. Went over some medical history. She wanted to know how I had heard of Dr. Rapaport (acne.org!). She explained to me the different types of acne scars and how they treat them and what they charge. Also showed be some before and after pics, but the weren't the greatesst quality so it was a little hard to know what I was really looking at. Then Dr. Rapaport came in to evaluate my skin. He's very nice. "Smooth". What I expected, I guess. He said my skin isn't really all that bad although he understands that I think it's bad. And I know this. But I told him that I'd like to be able to go into the restroom at restaurants and not avoid the mirror. At which point I burst into tears. Which surprised me. I don't think I've ever cried about my scars before.

Anyway. To make a long story short, he didn't really tell me anything I haven't read on these boards. I went in thinking we'cd be talking TCA Cross or subcision. Turns out I don't really have any rolling scars. I have two deep icepicks, scarred pores and more shallow and superficial scars. He's recommending Fraxel. Said he'd start right under 20 and work up to 22 or 24, depending how my skin tolerates it. Also said that in the last three months they're using "gentle waves" which cuts down on the redness and downtime. I also asked about Portrait. He said he was involved in clinical trials and really feels that it works better for wrinkles. FOr as long as he's been treating acne scars with subcision and CROSS he really feels like Fraxel is the best thing out there.

So. Three treatments (fourth is free if I need it). Three weeks apart. I feel a little weird. I guess I was expecting it to be more complicated than just a pass with a laser. (And he was very clear he couldn't estimate how much my skin would improve. Just that it would. So I'm not expecting perfect skin. That;s not even realistic)

Anyway. I thought I'd be more enthusiastic but I'm not 100% sure whether I'm going to "go for it". Just feels surreal to think I might be 3 treatments away from better skin and also strangeto think that if I'm disapppointed in the results I'll be back to feeling like I'm out of options again. It feels nice to have "hope". But as soon as I go down this path and get to the end of it I might not feel "hope" anymore (if it doesn't work). I don't know if that makes sense.

Thanks for listening.

CHrissy

Fantastic to hear Chrissy. I myself am getting FRAXEL treatment. I hope it goes well for you. I've had three and am awaiting another two.

Best wishes.

Thanks Chrissy. I appreciate you following up like this. Even though it's not funny, I had to laugh when I read your last paragraph. It's totally true.

I was debating between him and the laser & skin surgery center. I'm interested to see how he would rate my scars. Did he give you any thoughts at all as to how much improvement you could get? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what were the prices that he gave you and why is the fourth one free? Just because he said it should only take three?

Thanks and I will be interested to see what you do.

Was this in his Fort Lee office? I met with him. He talk to me about something called "undermining." If my memory serves me right, undermining is putting a needle under the scar, much like the TCA crossing some talk about here... Correct me if I am wrong.

Best of luck with your treatments, Chrissey, I hope things turn out well for you. Do let us know how you get on. :)

CM77: He didn't give me a percentage of improvement I could expect. And I respect that. If you think about it, his 20% might be my 50%. You know what I mean? It's so subjective. But on top of that, everyone's skin responds differently. The fact that he didn't try to hard sell me with some crazy numbers makes me trust him more, I think. He just said that it would improve. He charges $4500 for three (whoa! I know!) I don't know how exactly he determines whether you need that fourth treatment. But he's pretty aggressive with the laser, so I guess in his experience you don't need more than 3.

BeautifulSkinAgain: Saw him on Sylvan Ave in NJ. Undermining is subcision, I think TCA CROSS involves putting acid in the scars. He didn't talk about excision at all.

And thanks for the well wishes, all. I'll keep you posted. I'll most likely take the plunge. It's a question of making the phone call and scheduling it now that I have my head wrapped around it. Still seems weird that it's so "simple".

My buddy went to him for back hair removal, he charged something like 7500 for 3 treatments, his hair grew back shortly after and rapaport didnt honar any refund or additional treatments, I also went to him for an estimate on one icepick about 3 years ago, and he wanted close to 2000 for one tca cross.

My buddy went to him for back hair removal, he charged something like 7500 for 3 treatments, his hair grew back shortly after and rapaport didnt honar any refund or additional treatments, I also went to him for an estimate on one icepick about 3 years ago, and he wanted close to 2000 for one tca cross.

Yeah, I know a dermatologist who says he charges a lot for his procedures.

Goodlburg is just as bad. I think there is a non refundable $200.00 consultation fee! Talk about taking advantage of people's desperation! It's disgusting!!!!! :mad:

Since the downtime with Fraxel is considerably less, if there was a great doctor in the country it would be worth flying out to them if they were a lot cheaper. You can get a round-trip ticket out of NYC for under $200 to most areas of the country. I have family in Florida. I could stay with them. I may start to research some doc's in FL. If anyone has heard of any with the price I would consider this. I would even drive down as far as DC. I mean why not, you're still coming out ahead money wise in the long run.

I think about all that. I initially went to him because he's so well known and has so much experience. I think that's worth something. But if all i need is straight fraxel...?

$2000 for ONE ROUND of TCA CROSS?????

Are you serious?

ChrissyC, are you in CT? I thought I remember you saying that you were because I am too. I am looking into going to Dr. Robert Langdon in Guilford, CT. He charges $1000 per Fraxel session (not too much savings) but he wrote a book on lasers and his website (I forget what the URL is) looks very professional. I had contacted them through E-mail and the receptionist called me back within the same day and was extremely nice and helpful so it made me like this office.

Are you serious?

That's not entirely accurate. When he talked to ME about TCA Cross it was $850 per round. For ALL the scars. SO if you have a lot of scars to CROSS it's the same as doing one or two. Still expensive, yes, but not $2000 expensive. Maybe his prices have come down for CROSS because Fraxel is so popular now.

Blinny, Yes I'm in CT. Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind!

Hi ChrissyC, I was just wondering why he didn't recommend TCA cross for your icepicks and scarred pores, I thought that was the best choice for those types of scars? It is very hard to believe that a laser will get rid of little holes, you know what I mean? Good luck no matter what you decide and take care, RuPerki :D

Are you serious?

That's not entirely accurate. When he talked to ME about TCA Cross it was $850 per round. For ALL the scars. SO if you have a lot of scars to CROSS it's the same as doing one or two. Still expensive, yes, but not $2000 expensive. Maybe his prices have come down for CROSS because Fraxel is so popular now.

$850 for one round of TCA CROSS is incredibly expensive.

Some docs/derms charge between $100-$200 per round.

Are you serious?

$850 for one round of TCA CROSS is incredibly expensive.

Some docs/derms charge between $100-$200 per round.

Can you tell me which doctors in the states charge 100-200 per round? What cities are they in?

Hi ChrissyC, I was just wondering why he didn't recommend TCA cross for your icepicks and scarred pores, I thought that was the best choice for those types of scars? It is very hard to believe that a laser will get rid of little holes, you know what I mean? Good luck no matter what you decide and take care, RuPerki :D

Yeah, I was kind of surprised that fraxel works on ice picks. He claims it's a better option than TCA Cross for me because by the time I'm done with all the TCA Cross rounds I'd need for improvement it would be about as expensive as fraxel but with more downtime. My scarring isn't deep but there are a lot of them. So I guess it makes more sense to do a more general treatment. For the two deep ice picks I have he said if I wasn't satisfied with the improvement from fraxel we could revisit them.

I'm still waivering about what to do. He is extraordinarliy expensive, but it's my skin we're talking about, so I'd rather go to the best known doctor available. If it costs a couple of thousand dollars more, when it comes down to it I'm more comfortable in the hands of someone with skill and a reputation.

OK. I did it. I scheduled my first fraxel. Yes, I know he is expensive. And I am skeptical that it will make a marked improvement, so maybe it's money down the toilet. But I'll never know unless I try. ANd since I'm going every three weeks I'll be done by May!! As far as downtime goes, if I go in Wed. morning, do you think I'll be presentable by Saturday am?

Good luck with the fraxel treatments and please let us all know how the outcome is when you are all done! Take care, RuPerki :D

Im not from the US but i've read a few positive comments about Dr Rapaport from people he has treated.

Don't ask who because i can't remember. lol

Are you serious?

Two rounds at 850 per round would equal to "close to 2000" it was actually 1950.00 were his exact prices for one icepick. I would say thats pretty accurate and pretty expensive, he also doesnt seem like he cared much and was very quick. If he was sincere I would have considered it back then since I wanted it to disappear, but he was far from to me or my buddy.