Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ferris_Dandini

4 months of hell

I'm 23, male and first developed acne when I was about 15. I've managed to keep it under control with antibiotics until now and have just started a course of accutane. My condition is mild(occasionally moderate) but my derm agreed that after 8 years it was probably time to give accutane a go and try and get rid of the problem once and for all considering antibiotics are no longer working for me. I'm doing 40mg for the first month and then moving up to 60mg.

DAY 2

Noticed my lips getting slightly drier already. Skin not bad at the moment but that might have something to do with UV rays. Did some pretty serious weight-training today but fortunately there hasn't been any sort of adverse reaction yet. Will probably ache like f*** tomorrow.

Nothing much to report so far thank god.

good luck, dont worry, your acne is mild so you should not have to much of a breakout. you are in for a rocky ride as far as my experience is going but lets just hope we clear like a lot of people have

Hey I noticed you were from Halifax. I live in Brighouse. Are they putting something in water that causes acne???? I bet we went to the same derm. I went to Halifax hospital.

Anyways good luck with the Roaccutane. I'm on day 8. 50 mg for four months. :D

good luck, dont worry, your acne is mild so you should not have to much of a breakout. you are in for a rocky ride as far as my experience is going but lets just hope we clear like a lot of people have

Cheers! To be quite honest I wouldn't be too fussed if I get the odd whitehead after using accutane; I just want to get rid of the lesions that leave red marks for weeks.

Hey I noticed you were from Halifax. I live in Brighouse. Are they putting something in water that causes acne???? I bet we went to the same derm. I went to Halifax hospital.

Anyways good luck with the Roaccutane. I'm on day 8. 50 mg for four months. :D

Is your derm Babar by any chance? That guy wouldn't even give me antibiotics when I first saw him about 3 years ago. I went to a new derm at St Lukes in Bradford and she suggested giving (Ro)accutane a go almost instantly. I think they do put something in the water down in brighouse cos half the people there are nutters. I lived in the Rastrick area when I was a wee bairn. It's rough.

Good luck!! Hopefully I'll be posting a thread like this soon. Hope you have good results to help reassure me of 'tane. lol

Thanks. I'm gonna try and keep it updated every 2 or 3 days if I can. I'll probably post a few photos at some stage if I can pluck up the courage.

DAY 4

Not much to report at the moment. Arms are flaking a bit but that might have more to do with all the sun/UV rays I've been getting recently which has definitely made a difference. Obviously I'm not tanning anymore now I'm on tane which is a bit of a bummer cos everyone's been telling me I look alot healthier. Plus I think I look more attractive which is always a bonus. There's a distinct lack of random nonsense on here at the moment but I'll find something to rant about soon when I can find the time. Probably something involving that blonde bird off Big Brother. Hands up if you're sick of hearing about her?

*raises hand*

re: tanning

i'm on my third week almost, of tane, and i've decided to occasionally go tanning. i know i shouldn't but what the hell, i feel shit as it is, and i've given up fizzy drinks and alcohol, i'm not giving up tanning as well! although i don't go as often as i did. once or twice a week is all.

No not Babar. Yeah Rastrick is rough but it's only one of the areas of Brighouse. I live in the nice part. There are loads of rough areas in Halifax also i'm sure you'll agree. I'd always choose Huddersfield or Leeds as a night out cos of the idiots around. Anyway good luck with the tane.

*raises hand*

re: tanning

i'm on my third week almost, of tane, and i've decided to occasionally go tanning. i know i shouldn't but what the hell, i feel shit as it is, and i've given up fizzy drinks and alcohol, i'm not giving up tanning as well! although i don't go as often as i did. once or twice a week is all.

I've cut down on alcohol but there's no way I could give it up completely for 4 months. I've indulged a bit tonight but nothing too heavy.

I'd love to carry on topping up the old tan but I'm just not willing to risk it. I'm scared my skin will drop off.

No not Babar. Yeah Rastrick is rough but it's only one of the areas of Brighouse. I live in the nice part. There are loads of rough areas in Halifax also i'm sure you'll agree. I'd always choose Huddersfield or Leeds as a night out cos of the idiots around. Anyway good luck with the tane.

I live in between Halifax and Bradford. Fax is a good night out! Just stay away from the acapulco end of town.

Didn't you fry?? I've been wondering if I would be OK to do a bit of tanning as I'm becoming super white. I had intended to get some serious sunbed action in before the 'tane but for one reason or another I didn't get round to it. Are you cutting back on the time you spend on it? How's it effecting the redness?

And Ferris, good luck mate, I'm sure you'll be fine. I've continued working out and it's been fine but I have noticed over the last couple of days that it's beginning to effect (affect?? will someone please tell me the correct usage?!) my recovery time. Make sure you get yourself plenty of moisturiser for your hands and arms as well as your face and plenty of Vaseline for your lips. Start whacking plenty on now as much better to stop your lips drying in the fisrt place than trying to save them when they’re already cracked and bleeding!

Also, reading what you've said about your dose for mild acne makes me think even more that my derm has screwed up given me a way which is way too low. If I end up on this stuff for longer than 4 months or I have to do a second course I'm going to be seriously pissed off.

On a different note - this log isn't going to start discussing tight t-shirts, arseless chaps and bronski beat is it? All this weights, sunbed and Vaseline talk is beginning to sound a little bit, well, you know…

Didn't you fry?? I've been wondering if I would be OK to do a bit of tanning as I'm becoming super white. I had intended to get some serious sunbed action in before the 'tane but for one reason or another I didn't get round to it. Are you cutting back on the time you spend on it? How's it effecting the redness?

And Ferris, good luck mate, I'm sure you'll be fine. I've continued working out and it's been fine but I have noticed over the last couple of days that it's beginning to effect (affect?? will someone please tell me the correct usage?!) my recovery time. Make sure you get yourself plenty of moisturiser for your hands and arms as well as your face and plenty of Vaseline for your lips. Start whacking plenty on now as much better to stop your lips drying in the fisrt place than trying to save them when they’re already cracked and bleeding!

Also, reading what you've said about your dose for mild acne makes me think even more that my derm has screwed up given me a way which is way too low. If I end up on this stuff for longer than 4 months or I have to do a second course I'm going to be seriously pissed off.

On a different note - this log isn't going to start discussing tight t-shirts, arseless chaps and bronski beat is it? All this weights, sunbed and Vaseline talk is beginning to sound a little bit, well, you know…

What dosage are you on mate? And who am I to stop this log from becoming a bit, well, you know...? I'm an open-minded guy. Have to say I prefer rock and dance to cheesy eighties disco. And Erasure were way better than Bronski Beat.

I think the Pet Shop Boys were the best personally, west end boys and all that. Open mindedness is a good thing and I embrace the opportunity to get in touch with my feminine side so if you ever want to discuss lip balms and hand creams I'm your man!

Anyway, I'm on 40mg now but started on 30mg. Not sure why as I weigh a little over 70kg of pure lean muscle so I reckon I should be on at least 70mg but my derm says no. What can I do? Maybe buy over the internet and start self dosing (joke, please don't ban me)

nope, i didn't fry, and it made me feel a lot better about myself, and i think a bit of colour in my cheeks did my complexion wonders. ok so it's bad for you. but it makes me feel good about myself when my acne is getting me down. give it a go, just try 3 minutes and see how you react. nothing superbad is gona happen after 3 minutes. and even if it did, you could just get off the bed early.

DAY 7

Have had a few new spots popping up but nothing too large. Went out and drank quite alot last night( not a good idea I know but I can't live like a hermit for 4 months) but on the whole I'm drinking far less than I was pre-accutane. I'm hoping that using milk thistle every day will help keep my liver healthy. I was actually quite surprised when my liver tests turned out to be fine considering the ridiculous amounts I was drinking before. Not to mention the fact that I'd been taking antibiotics for a few years.

Face isn't dry at all yet but my lips are chapped everyday although it's only mild. They're slowly getting worse so I would imagine they'll be like Death Valley by the end of the week. Have also noticed an increased sensitivity to benzoyl peroxide. Only used 2.5% and my face stung like hell the other night! That's never happened before.

You're using BP while you're on tane?

Don't think that's a good idea, I think you'll find by far the vast majority of those of using accutane aren't using any topicals. In another week or so, your face is going to be majorly dry - putting on harsh topicals is only going to make things worse. I'd ditch the peroxide now personally.

You're using BP while you're on tane?

Don't think that's a good idea, I think you'll find by far the vast majority of those of using accutane aren't using any topicals. In another week or so, your face is going to be majorly dry - putting on harsh topicals is only going to make things worse. I'd ditch the peroxide now personally.

I stopped using it the other night as soon as I felt it stinging.

anything i put on my face for the first 2 weeks of accutane stang like hell, even moisturiser. you may find that for a while, its not to bad now, but still stings a little when i apply my moisturiser, just got used to it

anything i put on my face for the first 2 weeks of accutane stang like hell, even moisturiser. you may find that for a while, its not to bad now, but still stings a little when i apply my moisturiser, just got used to it

My acne was mild to moderate too. But persistent. You all sound like you know alot about this drug. I have a question that I can't seem to get answered.I have been on this shit for 10 weeks and my face is more fucked up than ever. Is this normal. I thought the initial worsening was only temporary. This sucks. I'm sore as hell. Lucky to get in the gym twice a week. Ribs, sternum, feet all hurt. Chest pains, headaches here and there. Sinus pressure and sometimes pressure in my ears./ Is all this shit normaL What the fuck?

Hey Ferris, I think we started on the same day (Feb. 27th), and I tried to put BP on too, and it turned my face red as a tomato! So no more BP, just lots of moisturizer for me. :) Good luck!

My acne was mild to moderate too. But persistent. You all sound like you know alot about this drug. I have a question that I can't seem to get answered.I have been on this shit for 10 weeks and my face is more fucked up than ever. Is this normal. I thought the initial worsening was only temporary. This sucks. I'm sore as hell. Lucky to get in the gym twice a week. Ribs, sternum, feet all hurt. Chest pains, headaches here and there. Sinus pressure and sometimes pressure in my ears./ Is all this shit normaL What the fuck?

I workout regularly but I haven't felt any severe muscle/joint pains. I've definitely got weaker though.

DAY 10

Lips moderately chapped, face still quite oily. Still waiting for some kind of nasty outbreak. It's weird. I've had new spots coming through in the last few days but I'm just not worried about them in the slightest. It's definitely having some kind of placebo effect on me.

What a shit night to be a Liverpool fan eh? How the hell did we get hammered by that dross? I'm digressing I know but it's seriously pissed me off.

DAY 13

Still nothing to report. Lips still chapped but my face isn't dry at all. No initial outbreak yet and acne is barely noticeable at the moment. Only side-effect is an occasional headache but they tend to be very mild.

DAY 18

Have noticed an increase in facial acne today. Face is getting drier but not to the point where my skin is flaking. New spots aren't particularly big so I'm hoping they'll go down by tomorrow. Side-effects are still pretty minimal. Just chapped lips and a dodgy back.

DAY 21

Acne is now getting back to the way it was before so not sure if this is an initial breakout. Face gradually getting worse by the day. If it gets much worse I'll be seriously depressed by the end of the week. I just don't know what to make of this so far. My face is drier but nowhere near the kind of dryness I was expecting. Plus I was pretty much clear for the first 2 weeks of the course.

On the positive side my chest and back are practically clear! My back was dreadful a few months ago when I was still on antibiotics and this is the first time it's been clear in ages.