Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ravenblack

Positive dermabrasion results

As the title of this thread stipulates, I have recently had very positive dermabrasion results at the very capable hands of Dr. Yarborough. My sister also had Dr. Yarborough perform a dermabrasion on her, and she, like me, is very pleased, thus far. Today, we are 3 weeks post dermabrasion, and, obviously red, but healing quite well. I decided to see Dr. Yarborough given the positive results that many on this board had reported. Although my results are really heartening, I won’t attempt to gauge my improvement with a percentage at this stage; but, I am really very pleased, and well on the way to being at ease with my scarring, which is my ultimate goal. I should mention that we have no new scarring, neither slight nor pronounced, and no rotary wheel marks from the brush itself.

Prior to my deciding to have dermabrasion, I had a full face resurface with an Erbium laser by a very competent Melbourne doctor. My scars were moderate rolling with some ice picks (about 5-6 on each cheek), and the aforesaid procedure probably gave me below 10% improvement. I blame the modality as opposed to doctor for the mediocre improvement. Following the laser, I had pretty much resigned myself to the fact that scars were near impossible to correct to any acceptable standard.

What I am about to say should come as no surprise as it has been reported by many of Dr. Yarborough’s patients, but, it certainly still warrants saying: Dr. Yarborough, Cassandra and the rest of the ladies in the office are the most concerned, proficient and capable group of people I have come across. Dr. Yarborough and Cassandra possess a genuine air of grace and clemency which shines through even when they’re engrossed in their work trying to yield REAL results for people. We never doubted our decision to make the trek over to New Orleans from Australia. Whenever we had our masks changed by Cassandra, we were astounded by the care and time she took; we never felt as though we were just anonymous patients making up the daily workload.

What I want to make abundantly clear is that Dr. Yarborough is definitely NOT shaky, incompetent and beyond his best as some have expressly declared or implied. I saw Dr. Yarborough at least 6 times in the space of two weeks, and never did I note that he was anything other than on the ball and incredibly up to speed. My sister and I were fortunate enough to have dinner with Dr. Yarborough and he was always charming, considerate, gentlemanly and extremely entertaining: which made us wonder if there is any truth to the adage that God doesn’t give with both hands. There is no doubt in my mind that you could sit Dr. Yarborough down to a meal with a group of 20 something men and women, and he would more than hold his own in terms of engagement, wit and charm. The man is truly remarkable and it was our pleasure to meet him.

I second that! Whatta great guy. Dermabrasion was the single best thing I did for my skin. Although it left behind a few rolling scars, it was well worth it!

I'll second that. Dr Y and staff are very competent and he is just a great guy. While I was disappointed with the way my floats turned out, I know I received excellent treatment.

I wholeheartedly agree. My punch floats were NOT successful, but his hands were NOT shaky, etc. and I question if my skin is receptive to this type of scar revision. I've no doubt if I went back he would do everything to rectify the situation, but I don't want to put my skin through that kind of double-trauma, especially since it doesn't seem amenable to such treatment.

I've had a dermabrasion - with Dr. David Alkek in Dallas - and LOVED it! Best thing I've ever done for my scars. He uses the diamond brush, but goes as deep as possible. I wouldn't hesitate to have Dr. Yarborough perform one though - both doctors speak VERY highly of the other. I do have very fair skin and avoid the sun, so I am an ideal candidate for this modality. I do happen to know that Dr. Alkek turns patients away with unrealistic expectations AND if he deems their skin type too dark to respond favorably to treatment. I think perhaps Dr. Y should exercise this precaution and/or at least CLOSELY SCREEN any prospective dermabrasion patient with Fitzpatrick skin type higher than II & COMPLETELY brief them on possible (and evidently VERY PROBABLE) complications; and still even perhaps refuse treatment. I don't doubt Sword and Hopefulskin's testimonies, and I'm positively sick about it. But we must remember...a few posters (Namrobi, etc.) have experienced extended redness with exoderm and even fraxel has resulted in hypopigmentation! The message here is: BE CAREFUL AND CAVEAT EMPTOR (BUYER BEWARE!!!!)Ravenblack - did you have punches of any sort (floats, grafts, excisons...) & if so, how did they turn out?

Butterflies,

You probably won't believe this, but my sister and I actually had about 20 punch floats each on the morning you were supposed to go in for yours (January 11th). I know this because I remember you saying this on the board prior to my departure, but we didn't see anyone as we were leaving. All in all our punch floats turned out well. I had about 5 on each cheek and they all turned out well except 1, which was in no way made worse. I had some punched at the very top of my nose in between my eyebrows and they did not respond the best; I think it has to do with the position, as there is very little flesh there for lack of a better word; however, they were still improved by the dermabrasion. My sister's punch floats all pretty much turned out well. We all have to understand that no one else offers this procedure which other doctors, in theory, could offer. I understand that there are have been some recent claims of less than stellar results regarding punch floats, but it seems to be a matter of pot luck. I don't think anyone has had punch floats that did not respond well through lack of effort on the doctor's part. Also, I should mention that our healing is apparently quite quick. Every time we went in there for a bandage change everyone was startled by our progress; I'm not mentioning this to show off, but merely making the point that everyone is different.

Hi Ravenblack! Yes, I had to reschedule my punches for a week later due to the flu. :cry: I'm sorry I missed you two - Dr. Y mentioned that you guys had returned to Australia b/c it was too hard/expensive to find accomodations in New Orleans. I'm glad you made it back and that your dermabrasion was a resounding success!! Congratulations! I must say, you are 100% correct that Dr. Y is one of the only doctors who offers punch floats, which are supposed to be (and usually are) the most effective, permanent, and least costly procedure for smallish ice picks and largish scarred pores. But not EVERYONE responds well to EVERY treatment & this was the first time I'd had any kind of punch revision & it's quite evident it's not for me. I mentioned this on a different thread which dealt with someone being worse off from a fraxel treatment - 99% of the testimonies re: fraxel are positive or neutral; same with punch floats - I, unfortunately, fall in that unlucky 1%.

Yup, I've had great results with dermabrasion (& punch floats) with Dr. Y. It really takes 6+ months to see the results and you can still see improvement up to a year. For example, since 3 months I have seen my scars fill in a lot more and become level with the skin. I plan to get another one this summer and I think it should be all I need since it works so freaking well. & to think when I first started that I would need 3, possibly more.

All in time for University too!

So is dermabrasion better than Fraxel? The only reason people go with Fraxel is to avoid the longer downtime that you get with dermabrasion? The biggest negative about dermabrasion is that there is a higher possibility of loosing your skin tone right? I know this totally depends on your skin type, but I'm just going off what I've been reading.

I have several scars on both sides of my face near the temple. The rest of my face is pretty much scar free. Would this be better than Fraxel. I guess my skin type would be considered type III. I don't want to have different color skin where my scars were and the rest of my face another color. I would really consider traveling to this dr. y.

Hi Ravenblack! Yes, I had to reschedule my punches for a week later due to the flu. :cry: I'm sorry I missed you two - Dr. Y mentioned that you guys had returned to Australia b/c it was too hard/expensive to find accomodations in New Orleans. I'm glad you made it back and that your dermabrasion was a resounding success!! Congratulations! I must say, you are 100% correct that Dr. Y is one of the only doctors who offers punch floats, which are supposed to be (and usually are) the most effective, permanent, and least costly procedure for smallish ice picks and largish scarred pores. But not EVERYONE responds well to EVERY treatment & this was the first time I'd had any kind of punch revision & it's quite evident it's not for me. I mentioned this on a different thread which dealt with someone being worse off from a fraxel treatment - 99% of the testimonies re: fraxel are positive or neutral; same with punch floats - I, unfortunately, fall in that unlucky 1%.

Dr. Shideler in Carmel Indiana does punch floats and i know there are docs in Ft. Wayne Indiana that do them as well.

So is dermabrasion better than Fraxel? The only reason people go with Fraxel is to avoid the longer downtime that you get with dermabrasion? The biggest negative about dermabrasion is that there is a higher possibility of loosing your skin tone right? I know this totally depends on your skin type, but I'm just going off what I've been reading.

I have several scars on both sides of my face near the temple. The rest of my face is pretty much scar free. Would this be better than Fraxel. I guess my skin type would be considered type III. I don't want to have different color skin where my scars were and the rest of my face another color. I would really consider traveling to this dr. y.

I have type II-III and i am having pigmentation problems post Exoderm after 7 months. I think only people with I or II types heal properly after resurfacings. A whole face resurfacing must be the last option. If you only have scars on the sides of you face, don't even consider it. You could end up much worse.

I have type II-III and i am having pigmentation problems post Exoderm after 7 months. I think only people with I or II types heal properly after resurfacings. A whole face resurfacing must be the last option. If you only have scars on the sides of you face, don't even consider it. You could end up much worse.

Hi CM77,

I second that.

I am asian, used to be type IV before dermabrasion with dr. Y a year ago. I lost most of my pigment and my face is still red and flush to beet red easily, it looks like I'm wearing a mask. A few others (type IV) also suffered similar result.

Butterflies,

You probably won't believe this, but my sister and I actually had about 20 punch floats each on the morning you were supposed to go in for yours (January 11th). I know this because I remember you saying this on the board prior to my departure, but we didn't see anyone as we were leaving. All in all our punch floats turned out well. I had about 5 on each cheek and they all turned out well except 1, which was in no way made worse. I had some punched at the very top of my nose in between my eyebrows and they did not respond the best; I think it has to do with the position, as there is very little flesh there for lack of a better word; however, they were still improved by the dermabrasion. My sister's punch floats all pretty much turned out well. We all have to understand that no one else offers this procedure which other doctors, in theory, could offer. I understand that there are have been some recent claims of less than stellar results regarding punch floats, but it seems to be a matter of pot luck. I don't think anyone has had punch floats that did not respond well through lack of effort on the doctor's part. Also, I should mention that our healing is apparently quite quick. Every time we went in there for a bandage change everyone was startled by our progress; I'm not mentioning this to show off, but merely making the point that everyone is different.

Hi Ravenblack,

I saw you and your sisters came out of the office while I was there waiting to do my punch floats. Do you remember a asian lady, my husband was there too. Anyway, today is my 10th day after dermabrasion. And this is my 3rd time and it will be my last time for sure. So far my skin is healing very well except a few breakout here and there. I guess Dr. Y did a light one this time so I was off Vaseline on day 7 already. And the redness is quite even this time compared to last two times. I'm Asian with fair skin tone so I was pretty lucky that I don't have problems like Sword has (I can feel for his pain). I had a full face on my first derm about one year 2 months ago, it turned out good except one of pitted scar on my cheek somehow got worse ( I did had a punch float on that area and it didn't turn out good, it actually make the area sunken), but overall I got a good result. My demarc line blended quite well with my neck but I did have a darker shape on my forehead hairline, so when I went in to have my 2nd derm 6 six months ago (I had only cheeks done that time) Dr. Y had a diamond brush to even out my forehead hairline. I forgot to mention I also had a punch floats done one month prior to that and I had it done on the same spot too (that pitted on my cheek), but it didn't turned out good either. I was very disappointed and the result somehow on the 2nd time not as good as the first one, maybe because I had only cheeks done, somehow I saw more a dermarc line on my lower cheeks which took a longer time time to fade as supposes to the dermarc line on my jawline. And my skin texture was rough compared to my first time smooth texture. So I decided to go through another one. I had again punch floats done (it's actually two little holes and they're very closed together) on that spot on Jan 11, which was six weeks before my derm ten days ago. And as soon as the tape fell off, I knew Dr. didn't aim it right again...( one turned out just okay) I knew if I went through the derm, the area would be sunken and pitted just like before, so I called Dr. Y up and request to have a punch float done on the same spot, he said he would do it if I really wanted it to. So I booked my flight out just to get this stupid punch float done. I know I'm a little crazy but this's the last time I told myself I would ever go through a derm, and I want to do it right. So I arrived to his office again two weeks before the derm, and I had to point it out to him (I have become an expert by now and he doesn't seem to see very well on that spot) and used a pen to mark it myself, he had me to chose the size of the punch float equipment (it has 3 sizes) and I choose a middle size and make sure it will cover that pitted area this time. Anyway, I went home and waited patiently for the tape to come off, and it turned out beautifully. That pitted area/the little hole is really gone this time and I was praying it would sustain the derm because it has only very little time to heal (we're told to give at least 3-6 weeks). Anyway, I had my 3rd derm 10 days ago (what should I say--I had a full face derm except my forehead and nose), everything went well and most importantly, the area which bothered the most seems healing well so far, and this time my skin is going through the stage of flaky and peeling (not as much as the first time), and I consider it's a good sign. I remember the 2nd derm I didn't have any peeling stage which was strange to me. Anyway, I'm happy that I went through it and I know this is the last time because I want to move on with my lives and start a family soon. Righ now it's still too early to tell on my improvement but I will try to update once in a while. For your information, Cassandra has left the office (I was her last patient) to work somewhere closer to her home. She's really great and I can't thank her enough for her greatness and caring personality. Also, Dr. Y and his partner Meyer is moving to a new office this month. Good luck to you and hope you heal well.

Woodson

Hi Woodson,

You know, I actually do remember you guys. I remember I glanced at you guys, and to be honest, I was probably looking for scars, and I didn't see any, so, I didn't think that you guys were from the board. I think your husband was standing closer to me than you were, so, I may have seen his face better. It's hard to know what people are in there for. The funny thing is I remember your "Woodson" name on the board and even reading yours posts; had I known it was you I would have said hello. It sounds like you have been through a lot, but it also sounds like you are happy with your face, which is excellent. I want to try and have one more myself before the great man retires. Yes, I know about Cassandra leaving and it is really sad given how long they have been a team, but, life is complicated, I guess. I hope you get the improvement you are seeking, and something tells me you will. Take care, and thanks for saying hi.

Hi Woodson,

You know, I actually do remember you guys. I remember I glanced at you guys, and to be honest, I was probably looking for scars, and I didn't see any, so, I didn't think that you guys were from the board. I think your husband was standing closer to me than you were, so, I may have seen his face better. It's hard to know what people are in there for. The funny thing is I remember your "Woodson" name on the board and even reading yours posts; had I known it was you I would have said hello. It sounds like you have been through a lot, but it also sounds like you are happy with your face, which is excellent. I want to try and have one more myself before the great man retires. Yes, I know about Cassandra leaving and it is really sad given how long they have been a team, but, life is complicated, I guess. I hope you get the improvement you are seeking, and something tells me you will. Take care, and thanks for saying hi.

I should have said hello to you but I wasn't sure if you were feeling comfortable when you had tapes all over your face. Anyway, good luck to you and your sister (I thought you guys were boyfriend and girfriend). I thought I was crazy enough to do the punch float on the same spot again and again. But I guess you two are even more determined as you guys flew all the way from Australia. I wish you all the best.

Woodson

Woodson, did you have the SAME place punched 3 times? Two of mine didn't turn out well at all & I was wondering if it was even possible to have the same place punched over again? Best wishes for a speedy and beautiful healing.....

Woodson, did you have the SAME place punched 3 times? Two of mine didn't turn out well at all & I was wondering if it was even possible to have the same place punched over again? Best wishes for a speedy and beautiful healing.....

I actually had punch floats on the same spot FOUR times, can you believe that? Somehow Dr. Y kept missing that spot---he always went a little off that little hole. At last, I have to point it out/mark it for him and it worked this time, at least the little hole is completely covered even though it's not as smooth as it supposed to be. And I know that area will be a bit depressed/sunken after the swelling is gone. Well, I can just hope it will trun out okay. If you're thinking of another derm, you can have it punch again but I would make sure to point it out/mark it to him. Good luck!

Woodson

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I just had my second dermabrasion, and it has been a resounding success. With this latest dermabrasion I seem to be healing even quicker than my first. Dr. Yarborough was very impressed with how well I am healing. I would say that I have received 50% improvement overall, and I am very happy with this modality of scar improvement.

dr y sounds like a master of dermabrasion...glad i only live 3 hours away from him. just wondering, how much does he charge for fraxel

does Dr. Y put you under? i.e. general anesthesia/ Also, did you have to stay in N.O. for the 2 weeks for post operative care or did you just decide to stay there in case of complications?

Zim

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I just had my second dermabrasion, and it has been a resounding success. With this latest dermabrasion I seem to be healing even quicker than my first. Dr. Yarborough was very impressed with how well I am healing. I would say that I have received 50% improvement overall, and I am very happy with this modality of scar improvement.

Hi,

You are not put completely under: you are still conscious. I stayed in Baton Rogue for 2 weeks because I wanted the redness to subside somewhat before I boarded the plane. I am 1 month post surgery and 80-90% of my redness is gone. I drink a lot of water, run and take my vitamins (also minimal alcohol consumption). Dr. Yarborough and his new nurse are phenomenol.