Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello, I am relatively new here. My skin has gotten really bad over the last year and a half. I was on mino which seemed to help but I can no longer get it because Imy insurance won't cover it. Anyway I seem to keep breaking out and my skin is so dry it is literally flaking, but sometimes it still gets oily. What can I dao? It seems like stress might be a big problem and aggravates it, but I'm not sure. Help me what can I do it is so embarrassing to me.

Hi, I'm new here and I no longer have acne but I thought that if I could help just one person it would be worth it. I had acne for 9 years and the first thing I done every morning was checked to see if my spots had started getting better. I've tried every over the counter spot cream in the shops and the only thing they done was drained my cash. I also tried different antibiotics (most made me sick), differin and zineryt (burned, dried and left my good skin looking terrible) to name but a few. However, a few years ago I discovered Elemis sensitive cleansing face wash. I stopped using all the creams and decided to work from inside rather than out. It's a little on the pricey side but if you buy it from QVC you get a "free" SOS emergency cream and it's brill too - both for about £20 - if you're anything like me and would have done anything to get rid of them! Can I also just say that only one person has mentioned the effect food can have on your skin. If I eat one McDonalds meal, guaranteed within a few days, I'll have a spot the size of my head growing! Also, water is the best moisturiser you'll find. You can also use a teaspoon of honey as a moisturiser...slap it on clean skin and wash off 15 mins later! It doesn't feel very nice at the time but it's well worth it. Hope this works for you.

Hey Thanks for the replies everyone. I think that I have moderate acne. I did try the clear skin regimen, but my skin got really dry. Right now since I am so dry I am just using Dove Soap and water. I do not consider myself to be that bad of an eater, but I know I do not drink alot of fluids, could dehydration be a cause, my sleep is also pretty messed up some nights I only get 4 hours of sleep others like the weekend I am able to get 10 hours. My skin right now is getting so dry that it hurts and like I said it is flaking and I also have some like really dry patches that have little bumps. I try using some Cetaphil moisturizer but I think it looks and feels kind of grreasy I don't know. Any other suggestions?

Personally, I think the best approach to mild/moderate acne is a topical retinoid or similar treatment. These will purge your pores, increase your skin cell turnover so you slough off old skin and red marks, and stimulate your skin cells to heal themselves from the inside.

The downside is that the first few weeks/months can be difficult: you may experience redness, flaking and an initial breakout. Gentle exfoliation can help get you through this.

Prescription treatments: Retin A, Tazorac, Differin

OTC treatments: Green Cream, Diacneal, Ystheal