Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
~TEPL0~

Does crack give you acne scars, or do acne scars make you a crack head?

I saw a woman last night who looked and acted like she was a total junkie. She had some major acne/scars. Do hard drugs cause bad skin, or are people with bad skin more inclined to use hard drugs?

That's a good question. I've done some of the hardest drugs out there. All during my adolecence (ages 12-almost 16) when most people (even sober ones) usually see the onset of acne. I had perfect skin back then, which makes absolutely no sense. I had just finished puberty and I was constanly testing my liver's ability to detoxify my body from all the junk I was putting in it. I don't remember having one pimple pretty much the enitre time I was using (wow I really sound like a recovering addict...I hate the word using). I look at pictures from whenI was like 14 or 15 and I had perfect skin. Not one visable pore. Not one blackhead. Not one zit. I don't even think I even washed my makeup off at night back then.

After I quit everything and cleaned up I stayed clear for about 3 more years. I started getting oily skin at around 18, and started getting mild acne at 19, which progressed to moderate/severe acne at 23. Maybe this is my karmic payback.......

haha, I just came up with a great theory... check this out..

your body can only do so much at once, right? So maybe, if you constantly torture yourself with stuff that almost kills you, your body will use its energy to make you not die, and will not produce acne!

that's a joke of course, but it has a grain of truth:

generally, the more people exercise, the less acne they have, because you burn off energy, lower blood sugar, body functions better..

they did a study, and figured out that wounds heal faster on people who exercise.

That's a good question. I've done some of the hardest drugs out there. All during my adolecence (ages 12-almost 16) when most people (even sober ones) usually see the onset of acne. I had perfect skin back then, which makes absolutely no sense. I had just finished puberty and I was constanly testing my liver's ability to detoxify my body from all the junk I was putting in it. I don't remember having one pimple pretty much the enitre time I was using (wow I really sound like a recovering addict...I hate the word using). I look at pictures from whenI was like 14 or 15 and I had perfect skin. Not one visable pore. Not one blackhead. Not one zit. I don't even think I even washed my makeup off at night back then.

After I quit everything and cleaned up I stayed clear for about 3 more years. I started getting oily skin at around 18, and started getting mild acne at 19, which progressed to moderate/severe acne at 23. Maybe this is my karmic payback.......

Maybe all that shit you were doing delayed the development of your body in certain areas, or you damaged your liver to the extent that it has difficulty reducing the normal toxins in your system and over those three years they slowly built up until..BAM...acne.

Thats what I like to think anyway.

Testing your liver's ability to detoxify? What a load of bollocks. Thats like a stoner saying "I was testing my lung's capacity for recovery! I swear!". :lol:

Maybe all that shit you were doing delayed the development of your body in certain areas, or you damaged your liver to the extent that it has difficulty reducing the normal toxins in your system and over those three years they slowly built up until..BAM...acne.

Thats what I like to think anyway.

Testing your liver's ability to detoxify? What a load of bollocks. Thats like a stoner saying "I was testing my lung's capacity for recovery! I swear!". :lol:

Possibly. I actually think my drug use may just have delayed the onset of my acne. My sister, who did not do nearly as many drugs as I did as a kid, developed acne when she was 12. She ended up on a few courses of antibiotics and finally Accutane. She is still dealing with mild acne as an adult.

I really don't think I damaged my liver. I wasn't drinking alcohol that much (never had much of a tolerecne for it....it makes me soooo sick). I did smoke weed, but not as much as I did the harder stuff, so my lungs are in good shape. I did do much harder drugs (only meaning that they are more illegal and possibly more dangerous), but I don't think I managed to kill off that many brain cells, and my neurotransmitters are all functioning fine now (endorphins are really important, something you won't know until your body is unable to produce them).

I wasn't really testing my liver's ability to detoxify my body (that was kinda sarcastic). I was a kid and I didn't even care about what I doing to my liver. I never even thought about it. I guess I took it all for granted. I must say my liver did a pretty good job though.....and my brain cells held up too (well for the most part anyway).

I think I'm just one of those people who are just genetically predisposed to be acne prone. I think stress played a big role in the onset and severity. When I was a kid I had no stress (bills, responsibilities, ect.).

I started gettng acne when I was 19. I was a senior in college, working two jobs, taking 24 credits in a semester, helping my dad pay his mortgage, and worrying about paying my tuition, stressing about finding a job in a very competitive field that I didn't even want to do (Chemical Engineering) and stressing about what I was going to do with the rest of my life in general. That was the first time I actually noticed that I had an issue with acne.

It remained mild acne until I was 23, and I went through something extremely traumatic that ended up having not only phychological effects on me, but phyisiological effects as well. It occured over a period of about 10 months and I noticed that not only was I on the verge of totally loosing it, I was also I was getting sick a lot more than usual, and my hair started falling out....oh and my almost non-existant acne went from mild to severe in about two months....

:lol: Good one, Animal. I should use that more often. :)

also when people are on drugs they tend to pick at stuff. especially their skin. so regardless of if they have acne or not, they probably have random scabs whcih make scars that look like acne scars.

in my experience amphetamine and cocaine make the skin more oily temporarily, when I was a teenager going to raves and generally abusing my body I noticed that by 7am when the rave was dying down and the sun was coming up and everyone was "coming down" most people including myself had a few white heads.

Possibly a result of over stimulation of the sebacious glands or it could just be the result of dancing all night long and getting really sweaty.

So my theory is: stimulants = oily skin ,crack = stimulant

Crack does weaken the bodys immune system too...

One thing we have to keep in mind (and Labgirl is proof) is that our skin's reaction to things varies from person to person. And our emotions and whether or not we turn to drugs because of acne or because of something else are also different from person to person. Like Labgirl said... her acne didn't come until she was already 18, and while most of us get it in our earlier teen years, this is still normal. Some people don't get it until they are 25 and even older. The question is definitely generalizing, but I can see why you asked because I've seen the same thing several times on "Cops"

in my experience amphetamine and cocaine make the skin more oily temporarily, when I was a teenager going to raves and generally abusing my body I noticed that by 7am when the rave was dying down and the sun was coming up and everyone was "coming down" most people including myself had a few white heads.

Possibly a result of over stimulation of the sebacious glands or it could just be the result of dancing all night long and getting really sweaty.

So my theory is: stimulants = oily skin ,crack = stimulant

Crack does weaken the bodys immune system too...

It was probably the lack of sleep that contributed the most.

Depends if you're weak enough to succumb to drugs. Everyone's different.

"Weak" enough.... oh dear.... you have a lot to learn my dear. I hope your mindset in regards to this changes when you get a little older! :wall:

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Also generalising, but hard drugs ruin you internally, so why wouldn't they cause bad skin. Rapid collagen depletion.

I NEVER HAD A PIMPLE UNTIL I STOPPED DOING DRUGS........DETOXING WILL BREAK YOU THE FUCK OUT..............MAYBE NOT EVERY 1.........BUT 2 ME IT DID............

"Weak" enough.... oh dear.... you have a lot to learn my dear. I hope your mindset in regards to this changes when you get a little older! :wall:

No, Drusilla is absolutely right. I don't know what planet you come from where purposefully damaging your body and choosing the easiest way out needs to be learned?

No, Drusilla is absolutely right. I don't know what planet you come from where purposefully damaging your body and choosing the easiest way out needs to be learned?

Hi Kanmi,

I did not mean that you need to 'learn' how to choose the easiest way out - that is not what i was saying - i simply meant that just because one may become addicted to a narcotic does not make them weak per se. It has to do with whether one has the ability to conceive of an alternative way of escapism. As someone who knows, i do not consider myself as weak for succumbing to drug addiction in the past, actually the opposite, seen as i was able to turn it around.

Rainbow :):angel:

Hi Kanmi,

I did not mean that you need to 'learn' how to choose the easiest way out - that is not what i was saying - i simply meant that just because one may become addicted to a narcotic does not make them weak per se. It has to do with whether one has the ability to conceive of an alternative way of escapism. As someone who knows, i do not consider myself as weak for succumbing to drug addiction in the past, actually the opposite, seen as i was able to turn it around.

I agree. I don't think I started doing drugs because I was weak. I was just a kid and I had no idea what I was getting myself into. At first it was just a way to have fun, but it eventually got way out of hand. If you have ever actually went through a withdrawl from a drug that you have a physiological dependance on, you'd know that you have to be anyting but weak to be able to overcome the addiction. I'm not talking about drugs like weed, acid, ,x, coke, crack, ect. which actually only carry psychological dependance (sometimes it's so strong it feels physical, but it's not really)...I mean drugs that your body becomed physically dependant on ....like alcohol for alcoholics, and the opiates.......

The three weeks it took me to detox were the most painful two weeks of my life. I don't think I've ever been that sick before. Your skin crawls, you get chills, you shake uncontrollably, you can't keep food down, and every body fuction seems to hurt. I don't think I was ever as aware of my own heartbeat until that point. It felt like a million daggers stabbing me in the chest 80 times a minute every minute of the day.....just something as simple as blinking my eyes or swallowing my spit was excruciating, this is why endorphins are important I guess.....

You have to have so much stregnth to be so sick that you feel like you must be dying, and not to pick up the phone and make that one phone call than you know will alleviate all the pain.....

Hi Kanmi,

I agree. I don't think I started doing drugs because I was weak. I was just a kid and I had no idea what I was getting myself into. At first it was just a way to have fun, but it eventually got way out of hand. If you have ever actually went through a withdrawl from a drug that you have a physiological dependance on, you'd know that you have to be anyting but weak to be able to overcome the addiction. I'm not talking about drugs like weed, acid, ,x, coke, crack, ect. which actually only carry psychological dependance (sometimes it's so strong it feels physical, but it's not really)...I mean drugs that your body becomed physically dependant on ....like alcohol for alcoholics, and the opiates.......

The three weeks it took me to detox were the most painful two weeks of my life. I don't think I've ever been that sick before. Your skin crawls, you get chills, you shake uncontrollably, you can't keep food down, and every body fuction seems to hurt. I don't think I was ever as aware of my own heartbeat until that point. It felt like a million daggers stabbing me in the chest 80 times a minute every minute of the day.....just something as simple as blinking my eyes or swallowing my spit was excruciating, this is why endorphins are important I guess.....

You have to have so much stregnth to be so sick that you feel like you must be dying, and not to pick up the phone and make that one phone call than you know will alleviate all the pain.....

Labgirl81... although you did not say directly what drug addiction you are talking about, hear that i feel ya and know exaclty what page your on. Glad someone gets it :D

Using Crystal meth causes you to compulsively pick at your face. I saw a documentary about it which is why you usually see "crackheads" with huge open sores and lots of zits. They are meth users.

Um. I used to sell dope and it has a high concentration of iodine in it and I think I heard somewhere there is a link between that and acne. Also the people on the meth stay up for days and eat nothing while on it so that can't be good for you either. This guy I was selling it to had a wife that wasn't on it while pregnant but when she started using she brokeout pretty bad. But of all the fiends and cooks I still had shittier looking skin than most of 'em.

But acne is the least of their worries and the last thing on their minds. They just want dope, dope and always on a mission for it. This guy had 3 fuckin kids and could never hold an apartment cuz he was always late on rent. It came to the point of him pawning his wedding ring for baby diapers. I could go on for days it pisses me off.

So I agree with Drusilla that you have to be pretty goddamn weak minded to be on that shit with 3 kids, a non working wife and a $9 dollar an hour job. I was just as much at fault but I've never been really addicted to anything so I just don't understand.

whew, lol

You obviously know nothing about addiction for all your time selling drugs. But before I jump on you for that, you already mentioned it. Don't mind me.

I'm speaking from where Labgirl and Rainbow are - I'm a recovering drug addict. Addiction has little to do with strength or weakness. That's why it's called "addiction" and not "weakness." Two completely different words.

Yeah, two different words but I think they tie together. Your mind is weak so you can't withstand temptaion or persuasion and there is an obvious lack of judgement? But I can't pretend to understand I guess and it's always easy for people to talk about it without having been through it themselves. I used to not care. Addiction used to mean money for me guaranteed. Then I saw what it was doing to his kids who have no choice in what their parents decide to use and they have to live with those dumb ass decisions their parents CHOOSE to make.

Guest Akira

dunno where i'd be without my crack