Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just wanted to recommend this as i'm pretty shocked at how well it's working for my red marks. Been taking zinc for a couple of weeks, only 15mg a day, and am already seeing a real difference. I've tried vit C tablets and MSM, but neither has worked like this. I guess it must be cos zinc boosts the immune system or something. Just thought i'd share.

do you ever fell nauseated when taking it. sometimes when i take it with water or an empty stomach i feel nauseous for some reason.

applying topical zinc oxide seems to help too. my skin always looks better after i apply some physical sunblock. i don't know if it's really 'cause of the zinc or 'cause my skin is protected from the sun but...i'm leaning on the zinc. if you notice on many anti-rash and "soothing" skin lotions/creams, there is always zinc included.

Yeah you should never take zinc on an empty stomach, i always take it after a meal - preferably a meal without a high iron content cos that could interfere with the zinc absorbtion.

do you ever fell nauseated when taking it. sometimes when i take it with water or an empty stomach i feel nauseous for some reason.

yes, me too..makes me nauseated even WITH food sometimes....

Zinc Citrate can be taken on an empty stomach since it absorbs very easily and rapidly. I have actually read that it can be most beneficial to take on an empty stomach right before bed.

I barely started taking it today, and I felt nauseated afterward, and especially when I was doing my night workout and I was running. How long have you been taking it? Do you always feel nauseated after taking it, or just sometimes.

I barely started taking it today, and I felt nauseated afterward, and especially when I was doing my night workout and I was running. How long have you been taking it? Do you always feel nauseated after taking it, or just sometimes.

i cant even make myself take it for 1 week! i have to ask myself if i want to endore that nauseated feeling before i even touch it. :redface:

The only time i've felt nauseous was when i took 2 tablets at once (30mg) - i did feel a bit sick then. But so long as i stick to 15mg per meal i'm fine. Maybe those who get nausea are taking a higher dose?

I took zinc in the past for about 4 months and saw NO improvement whatsoever...glad it's working for you though

yea its not working for him. it's placebo.

Hi

This sounds really interesting.

Do anyone know if zink would work, onto skin?

There are something in the pharmaci called zinkpaste? It could be worth a try.....

applying topical zinc oxide seems to help too. my skin always looks better after i apply some physical sunblock. i don't know if it's really 'cause of the zinc or 'cause my skin is protected from the sun but...i'm leaning on the zinc. if you notice on many anti-rash and "soothing" skin lotions/creams, there is always zinc included.

I have makeup with zinc oxide as the second ingredient and it's very soothing to my skin. I won't be using it anymore because I think my skin is too dry for the makeup but I really liked the zinc. Good sun protection too. (It's merle norman aqua base if anyone is interested.)

I do... its hard for me to exercise when i take it.

I also take 15mg a day along with copper 2mg and Chromium 120mcg

No Iron and no Iodine.

All this in a multi-vitamin :cool:

Hi how come no iron,can iron cause breakouts?

Iron inhibits zinc absorption. Iodine can cause you to breakout.

So a iron suppliment can cause you to break out?

I have been taking a multi vit with iron and a zinc vit and to be honest i had started to break out quite badly since starting these,so mayeb it is the iron coz i have taken zinc before with out breaking out,but isnt it important to have iron in your diet?

This is all so confusing!!

Zinc won't help your red marks go away. If you think it does based on first hand experience, then you succumbed to the placebo effect. In other words, there were probably other factors involved if a noticeable change occurred, and zinc definitely did not play a direct role. Zinc strengthens your immune system. It is good for you and will help your body fight acne, but it will NOT fade your red marks.

As far as iron is concerned, it does not cause breakouts. Furthermore, it is not sufficiently clear to say whether or not iron interferes with zinc absorption, but it is most probable that normal doses of iron on a daily basis (5-15 mg) have little affect on your body's ability to absorb zinc. The main problem with the balance between zinc and iron involves the role that copper plays in your body. Large, healthy doses of zinc will significantly interfere with copper absorption, and copper is necessary in order to utilize iron. Consequently, it is easy to indirectly make yourself iron deficient if you take a lot of zinc and fail to take extra copper as well (~2 mg/day).

Iron deficiency is a problem for a lot of people (particularly women and blood donors). If you are a woman taking a multivitamin with iron in it, good job. You should probably continue to do so unless directed otherwise by a healthcare professional. The only way your body can eliminate iron is to use it or bleed it out. Most men don't have to supplement iron and probably shouldn't; too much iron is very, very bad for you. That is why multivitamins for men usually don't have any.

A couple final notes:

1. Whoever said that iodine will break you out is correct, but don't completely eliminate it from your diet. Your body needs a little bit to function properly.

2. Taking zinc on an empty stomach is only a good idea if the bottle says so. Most forms of zinc are best absorbed with food; however, there are certain forms that actually need to be taken alone (the popular anabolic supplement ZMA is a good example).

Zinc won't help your red marks go away. If you think it does based on first hand experience, then you succumbed to the placebo effect. In other words, there were probably other factors involved if a noticeable change occurred, and zinc definitely did not play a direct role. Zinc strengthens your immune system. It is good for you and will help your body fight acne, but it will NOT fade your red marks.

As far as iron is concerned, it does not cause breakouts. Furthermore, it is not sufficiently clear to say whether or not iron interferes with zinc absorption, but it is most probable that normal doses of iron on a daily basis (5-15 mg) have little affect on your body's ability to absorb zinc. The main problem with the balance between zinc and iron involves the role that copper plays in your body. Large, healthy doses of zinc will significantly interfere with copper absorption, and copper is necessary in order to utilize iron. Consequently, it is easy to indirectly make yourself iron deficient if you take a lot of zinc and fail to take extra copper as well (~2 mg/day).

Iron deficiency is a problem for a lot of people (particularly women and blood donors). If you are a woman taking a multivitamin with iron in it, good job. You should probably continue to do so unless directed otherwise by a healthcare professional. The only way your body can eliminate iron is to use it or bleed it out. Most men don't have to supplement iron and probably shouldn't; too much iron is very, very bad for you. That is why multivitamins for men usually don't have any.

A couple final notes:

1. Whoever said that iodine will break you out is correct, but don't completely eliminate it from your diet. Your body needs a little bit to function properly.

2. Taking zinc on an empty stomach is only a good idea if the bottle says so. Most forms of zinc are best absorbed with food; however, there are certain forms that actually need to be taken alone (the popular anabolic supplement ZMA is a good example).

Right ok thanks for all that.

So is iron + iodeine the same thing?

Right ok thanks for all that.

So is iron + iodeine the same thing?

Iron and iodine are two different nutrients. Multivitamins for women usually have both, which is perfectly fine. You don't want to have too much of either one, but taking them together in the proper quantities and proportions is a very good idea. A multivitamin accomplishes that for you in a convenient manner.

I take these exact dosages for a day. My vitamins i take!!!

** Take vitamin A, 10,000 - 30,000 IU daily

Vitamin A reduces sebum production and keratin production (Caution: taking mega doses of Vitamin A can cause headaches, fatigue, muscle and joint pain and other side effects. Consult a qualified practitioner before taking mega supplements esp if ur pregnant)

** Take vitamin E, 400 IU daily

Vitamin E is an antioxidant that enhances healing and tissue repair. It prevents cell damage by inhibiting the oxidation of lipids (fats) and the formation of free radicals (Also aids absorption of Vitamin A)

** Take vitamin B6, 50-100 mg daily

Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6) aids in hormone metabolism. Involved in cellular reproduction. Deficiencies have been associated with acne.

** Take Selenium, 200-400 mcg

Selenium encourages tissue elasticity and is a powerful antioxidant.

** Take Chromium supplements, 150-200 mcg daily

Chromium helps boosts the body's ability to break down glucose. Chromium supplements have been shown by researchers to be effective in the treatment of acne. As a causal agent, high blood glucose levels have been linked to acne

** Take Zinc, 30-50 mg daily

Zinc aids in healing of the tissues and helps prevent scarring. It helps prevent acne by regulating the activity of the oil glands. Zinc promotes a healthy immune system and the healing of wounds. It is also an antioxidant which helps to fight and prevent the formation of free radicals. But for every 30mg zinc take 2mg copper. Zincs that have been found effective for acne sufferers: Zinc Gluconate (HealthAid) & Zinc Monomethionine (Opti-Zone)

Other supplements that might help as well:

* Vitamin C (with bioflavinoids) 3,000 - 5,000 mg daily, in divided doses. Promotes immune function and reduces inflammation. Use a buffered type.

* Vitamin D 400 IU daily. Promotes healing and tissue repair.