Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bobolified

Wash face with just water in the morning?

When to wash face with just water?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. When to wash face with just water?

• in the morning only
    • at night only
    • morning and night...
    • use a cleanser for both AM and PM

Hey has anyone tried just washing your face with water in the morning? I dont understand how my mom doesnt have any acne when all she wash her face is with water in the morning and then put on lotion. It's weird because since I was a teenager I would take atleast two hot shower a day. I was thinking if i feel cleaner I wouldnt have acne. I live in New England so the weather could be very harsh. I have noticed that I would wake up in the morning and my skin would look like it was doing good and then I would wash my face and right after I would notice that my face is more red and the acne is more irritated. I use Boscia purifying cleanser which suppose to be really gentle. I think since my face is so sensitive in the morning I'm going to try to keep the protective oil that my skin produced over night by not using a cleanser in the morning. I will just try to wash my face with water and then apply a moisturizer with spf15 and see how it goes.

Same here, water only in the am, I just use ivory and a clean wash cloth at nite. Skin is loads better.

I agree. Water only in the AM. I will sometimes cut out soap for more than a day. It just depends on how durable/oily the skin is. If it is dry then NO soap. You need the natural oils on your skin.

Looks like I'm the only one who uses water only at night..

I do it at night because I've found that my skin becomes irritated after washing (even just with water). And therefore, it usually calms down a little by morning so it is more even in tone (even if the acne is still there, it just becomes less red). There are other factors that lead to it becoming uneven.. but washing is one of them. (I don't even wet my face in the shower in the morning anymore since I've discovered this).

(note, I used to wash many times a day, gradually less and less, with less and less product. At best I've seen positive improvement and at worst it seems that soap/no soap makes no difference at all.... so therefore I've cut cleansers out [waste of money, time, and hassle for me]..... but you may be different)

[edit: I am reasonably sure that my acne is not a topical disorder. However, other people's might be, in part, a topical disorder. Therefore, don't take my observations to mean that EVERYONE should stop using cleansers. But it is food for thought, since I have bad acne on and off, and cleansers make no difference for me. So maybe you could save yourself some money in the long run if you discover that cleansers don't do anything for your skin (except aggravate it, like they do with my skin)]

Looks like I'm the only one who uses water only at night..

I do it at night because I've found that my skin becomes irritated after washing (even just with water). And therefore, it usually calms down a little by morning so it is more even in tone (even if the acne is still there, it just becomes less red). There are other factors that lead to it becoming uneven.. but washing is one of them. (I don't even wet my face in the shower in the morning anymore since I've discovered this).

(note, I used to wash many times a day, gradually less and less, with less and less product. At best I've seen positive improvement and at worst it seems that soap/no soap makes no difference at all.... so therefore I've cut cleansers out [waste of money, time, and hassle for me]..... but you may be different)

The reasoning behind the water at night I believe is that your face needs oils to protect it from the sun and bacteria, etc. Washing off oil in the morning, for me, takes off my protective barrier before I leave for the day. Washing off oil at night washes off the protective barrier before I lay down on a pillow. I want that oil there for the day and let it replenish at night.

With that said, if you are using soap and it is drying you out then you won't have the protective barrier ever. So you have to really individualize your program. Never use "for oily skin" soaps if you are dry because they are SUPER drying. I think it is best to use soaps that don't dry (cetaphil has an antibacterial bar soap for dry skin). The key is to take a break if your skin is dry.

I think it is necessary to wash the skin sometimes though. Only water 24/7 I think could leave things on the skin too long. I believe soap can get things off that water can't so it must be necessary to somehow clean off the dirt/bacteria at times.

The reasoning behind the water at night I believe is that your face needs oils to protect it from the sun and bacteria, etc. Washing off oil in the morning, for me, takes off my protective barrier before I leave for the day. Washing off oil at night washes off the protective barrier before I lay down on a pillow. I want that oil there for the day and let it replenish at night.

With that said, if you are using soap and it is drying you out then you won't have the protective barrier ever. So you have to really individualize your program. Never use "for oily skin" soaps if you are dry because they are SUPER drying. I think it is best to use soaps that don't dry (cetaphil has an antibacterial bar soap for dry skin). The key is to take a break if your skin is dry.

I think it is necessary to wash the skin sometimes though. Only water 24/7 I think could leave things on the skin too long. I believe soap can get things off that water can't so it must be necessary to somehow clean off the dirt/bacteria at times.

That's a good point. That might be another reason why washing at night and leaving it alone the rest of the day works out so well. I hadn't thought of that.

Yeah, I used to use "for oily skin" soaps... but that was because I was ironically stuck in a loop of overwashing-induced oiliness. Because of that, I think that every time I washed less, my acne would get worse for a week. Only when I had the guts to stick with it for a few weeks did I realize how much damage I was probably doing to my skin by over washing.

Yeah, if I got dirty more often, I'd probably use a cleanser from time to time.

Yeah, I used to use "for oily skin" soaps... but that was because I was ironically stuck in a loop of overwashing-induced oiliness.

Overwashing doesn't induce oiliness.

Bryan

Why wash your face at all? Also, realise that a lot of the water (especially in the US) you put on your face contains lots of chloride and other chemicals that will affect your skin negatively.

Why wash your face at all? Also, realise that a lot of the water (especially in the US) you put on your face contains lots of chloride and other chemicals that will affect your skin negatively.

Well I'm so used to over washing I cant bare the feeling of not washing my face :( If my face isnt squeaky clean then I think more pimples will grow. It has been one whole day that I havent used any cleanser on my face and so far I dont get any more new pimples just the one that exist already having white pus... I guess it's just coming out. I will continue to just wash my face with water both AM and PM till Dan's BP gel arrives. I hope my face doesnt need breakout like crazy until then or Dan's gel got a lot of fixing to do :wall:

Yeah, I used to use "for oily skin" soaps... but that was because I was ironically stuck in a loop of overwashing-induced oiliness.

Bryan

okay okay

I can't go back in time and see why exactly I had oily skin when I washed more. It might not have been from washing but from other factors. The main point of my post was that washing less didn't negatively affect me in the long run (for whatever reason), and totally cutting out cleanser doesn't seem to affect me one way or the other. The only cleanser that didn't really irritate my skin was Noxzema Sensitive (w/ no moisturizer)... it was more like a really gentle cream than a face wash. I couldn't find it anywhere for a while... and as a result I tried just switching to plain water a few months ago, and it seemed to be just as effective (for whatever reason: maybe minerals/chemicals in the water, or just the act of splashing water and gently massaging might be vigorous enough).

EDIT: Oh, and I wash my hands with soap before rinsing my face. Though I try to rinse my hands off really well, I wouldn't be surprised if there is still a thin glaze of soap still on them. Therefore, that might also contribute.

Bryan

okay okay

I can't go back in time and see why exactly I had oily skin when I washed more. It might not have been from washing but from other factors. The main point of my post was that washing less didn't negatively affect me in the long run (for whatever reason), and totally cutting out cleanser doesn't seem to affect me one way or the other. The only cleanser that didn't really irritate my skin was Noxzema Sensitive (w/ no moisturizer)... it was more like a really gentle cream than a face wash. I couldn't find it anywhere for a while... and as a result I tried just switching to plain water a few months ago, and it seemed to be just as effective (for whatever reason: maybe minerals/chemicals in the water, or just the act of splashing water and gently massaging might be vigorous enough).

EDIT: Oh, and I wash my hands with soap before rinsing my face. Though I try to rinse my hands off really well, I wouldn't be surprised if there is still a thin glaze of soap still on them. Therefore, that might also contribute.

so it been a few months of just water for you? your acne improved at all? or it made no difference?

so it been a few months of just water for you? your acne improved at all? or it made no difference?

I've had some of the clearest days of my life when using only water. But I've broken out a few times also. So, I guess the more honest answer would be that soap vs water-only "made no difference" for me... but it's probably more complex than that

EDIT: btw, by saying it "made no difference", I'm saying that I wouldn't waste my money on more cleansers. You might be different, though. If you're putting stuff on your face (which I'm not), you might need a cleanser to remove that.

I've had some of the clearest days of my life when using only water. But I've broken out a few times also. So, I guess the more honest answer would be that soap vs water-only "made no difference" for me... but it's probably more complex than that

EDIT: btw, by saying it "made no difference", I'm saying that I wouldn't waste my money on more cleansers. You might be different, though. If you're putting stuff on your face (which I'm not), you might need a cleanser to remove that.

Im trying to stop putting anything on my face. I want to put moisturizer on a couple nights ago but my face itches so I'm going to try to not put anything on my face and just wash it with water I just hope to get use to this new "not washing face thing" feeling :doubt:

i dont use soap am or pm for like over a month i guess not sure and i use bottle water in a spray bottle. id say it works good because your face is wet but the water isnt so powerful and target one spot of the face thus overdrying. plus no chlorine in the bottle water. soap seems to more aggrivate though i feel clean but if i get dirty ofcourse ill use a little soap. organic style