Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Looking for new, more gentle products. No BP

I think after five years, I'm ready to move on from BP. I am thankful for all the help it has given me, but I want my skin to look young again. More moisturizer is not the answer, I need to stop mistreating my skin with BP.

I would really like to try some tea tree oil but I'm not sure what to buy. I read about something with tea tree and SA in it.

I would also like a new moisturizer. Something without SPF would be great so I could keep it on my face when I go tanning. I'm not too picky about this one at the moment though. I mostly want to just get rid of the BP.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Tea Tree Oil is great, but it can be just as harsh as BP. Salicylic Acid, depending on the % of course, isn't exactly gentle either.

I want my skin to look young again. More moisturizer is not the answer, I need to stop mistreating my skin with BP.

Retinol will do that for you. It certainly has for me, and I bet I'm a lot older than you are.

Read the Green Cream thread in this forum.

Q

Tea Tree Oil is great, but it can be just as harsh as BP. Salicylic Acid, depending on the % of course, isn't exactly gentle either.

I have never used a pure tea tree oil product, but from what I understand it does not cause excessive dryness the way BP does. I have also never experienced any dryness from the SA products I have used. It isn't that my skin is overly sensitive, I just find that daily BP use is downright abusive. I have wrinkles at the age of 23, which coincidentally appeared a few months after I began heavy BP use. I can't say whether or not they are permanent.

For the younger looking skin, go for retinol or glycolic acid. Neither are 'gentle', they will both have your skin peely and scaling for the first 6 weeks. But I've almost completed week 5 on glycolic acid and my skin tone is smoother, softer and better then it was before I started. I still have acne and red marks, but the marks are fading (I'm still getting new breakouts though :(, hopefully not for much longer). A good moisturizer to combat this is jojoba oil, which is VERY gentle and all natural. It is one of the best options out there. Tea tree oil is good for spot treatment - but it's harsh as an all over treatment. You can dilute it with jojoba though.

Any retin-A treatment is really out of the question for me since I use a tanning bed to keep my skin clear. I also couldn't deal with that initial breakout, even if it meant clear skin in the future. I just have too much going on right now to have my face look like shit for weeks.

Do you guys have any particular brands or websites with the tea tree or jojoba oil? Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Tea Tree Oil isn't really an alternative to BP. You can't rub it on like BP, the smell is too overpowering for full face coverage. And regardless of what studies may indicate, it does dry your skin out.

yep tea tree does dry out, but i've found that BP, can stop working, your body just gets used to it. Not with tea tree oil though. Just dip a q-tip in it, and place it on the active acne. Also you get used to the smell, i barely notice it anymore. Also try taking vitamins, i take Perfectil and found that my oily skin is gone and m skin is allot more healthier.

For the younger looking skin, go for retinol or glycolic acid. Neither are 'gentle', they will both have your skin peely and scaling for the first 6 weeks. But I've almost completed week 5 on glycolic acid and my skin tone is smoother, softer and better then it was before I started. I still have acne and red marks, but the marks are fading (I'm still getting new breakouts though :(, hopefully not for much longer).

Anyone checked out Avene's Diacneal? It combines 6% glycolic acid with 0.1% retinaldehyde and has been getting rave reviews on makeupalley.

Any retin-A treatment is really out of the question for me since I use a tanning bed to keep my skin clear. I also couldn't deal with that initial breakout, even if it meant clear skin in the future. I just have too much going on right now to have my face look like shit for weeks.

I used to do that in my 20s, and now I really wish I hadn't.

It dehydrates your skin, ages it, makes it more prone to forming comedones AND more prone to scarring.

Retin A would be a whole lot better for your skin!