Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

To me, the aspirin mask has always been a mystery. Aspirin is similar in structure to salicylic acid, but it's not the same thing. Well, for anyone who actually cares about the chemistry of it, I learned something today in my "principles of drug action" class. Aspirin is acetylsalicylic acid. This means it has an extra acetyl group or CH3 group in comparison to salicylic acid. Upon hydrolysis (addition of water), the bond is broken and it turns into salicylic acid and an inactive metabolite. I guess I can say that I learned that when making the aspirin mask, by mixing it with water, we are simply putting salicylic acid on our faces.

To me, the aspirin mask has always been a mystery. Aspirin is similar in structure to salicylic acid, but it's not the same thing. Well, for anyone who actually cares about the chemistry of it, I learned something today in my "principles of drug action" class. Aspirin is acetylsalicylic acid. This means it has an extra acetyl group or CH3 group in comparison to salicylic acid. Upon hydrolysis (addition of water), the bond is broken and it turns into salicylic acid and an inactive metabolite. I guess I can say that I learned that when making the aspirin mask, by mixing it with water, we are simply putting salicylic acid on our faces.

haha speaking of that, we are going to be making aspirin in chemistry class soon. You said when mixing it with water, it makes salicylic acid, but what if you mix it with something like witch hazel or something.. does it matter at all?

Hmmm....I'm not really sure. I would assume the witch hazel is not 100% witch hazel but includes some water, which would still hydrolyze it to salicylic acid. What class are you making aspirin in? That's kind cool. :)

Hmmm....I'm not really sure. I would assume the witch hazel is not 100% witch hazel but includes some water, which would still hydrolyze it to salicylic acid. What class are you making aspirin in? That's kind cool. :)

chemistry =).. I suck so bad at that class though lol, oh well!

But isn't salicylic acid oil-soluble? I wonder if anyones tried mixing the aspirin with oil like jojoba or olive and using that as a mask.

Does a asprin mask help get rid of cysts on your face??..is it really effective?, how often do you use it, and how much asprin/ amount of water do you use?..

*I appolgise for all the questions..*

I am just really keen on knowing more about this mask :)

not always.

Asprin is only linked to death with childrena and teens with fevers and rash which can be linked to chickenpox and measles.

in those cases at that age it can contribute to a rare condition known as Reyes Syndrome which is why you should never give a child asprin

Interesting topic. I just used an aspirin mask last night, and remembered how great it was because it reduces my redness. I wonder why that is, when salicylic acid usually makes me more red? Hmm.

Can't aspirin be absorbed through your pores? To much aspirin can cause liver damage along with body organs. My mom told me this, so i stay away from it.

Interesting topic. I just used an aspirin mask last night, and remembered how great it was because it reduces my redness. I wonder why that is, when salicylic acid usually makes me more red? Hmm.

i don't think it's the salicylic acid that makes you more red but the formulation of the product that you were using.

i love the aspirin mask. i use it two to three times a week. it helps a LOT with fading redmarks and reduce the size of active pimples because it's anti-inflammatory.

erm... let me see if i can get the chemistry of this

C9H8O4 + H2O = C7H6O3 + C2H3OH ?? or is it C7H6O3 + CH3OH? at any rate would it maybe also have to do with the alchohol? that could help seeing as it is an antiseptic...

A. when you have a viral illness, it can kill you :)

I have heard this before. Is this true?

it is... check here.

i have a viral illness at the moment, so im sticking to paracetomol and ibuprofen :D