Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
falco_amadeus

Derm said no blood test neccessary

I went in today for my 2nd month tane treatment (40mg per day) and my derm said it won't be neccessary to have a blood test this time, MAYBE next month. Isn't that weird? I did do it before I started my treatment and they were great. I think he is too confident with the tane treatment since he has given it to a lot of people but still I don't really think that's a good idea huh?

I also have tons of tiny blackheads all over my face (visible if I extent my skin down like making a lean face), especially on my forehead, my derm told me that tane will get rid of some of those but not all, the others will go away with time, is he right about that too?

I went in today for my 2nd month tane treatment (40mg per day) and my derm said it won't be neccessary to have a blood test this time, MAYBE next month. Isn't that weird? I did do it before I started my treatment and they were great. I think he is too confident with the tane treatment since he has given it to a lot of people but still I don't really think that's a good idea huh?

I also have tons of tiny blackheads all over my face (visible if I extent my skin down like making a lean face), especially on my forehead, my derm told me that tane will get rid of some of those but not all, the others will go away with time, is he right about that too?

my derm told me the same thing. I don't need blood tests every month if he sees there's no need for it. I just took my third pill yesterday

I have a very liberal derm who isn't much concerned with many of the side-effects & blood work either. I didn't have to take any blood test before starting Accutane (80mgs). After month 1, I had a blood test (triglycerides were 298). Still on 80mgs for month 2 -- no blood test at the end of month 2. Started month 3 (120mgs). My doctor originally didn't plan on any blood test at the end of month 3, but I asked him if I could have one cuz of the upped dosage. So at the end of month 3...I had the blood test & my triglycerides came out at 424. Because my triglycerides were steadily climbing, he did order another blood test (without me asking) at the end of month 4 (triglycerides were at 596). Although high, he has allowed me to continue treatment and I have another 3 weeks left. I have a full workup scheduled in June to see if all my levels have returned to normal. If you are uncomfortable with NOT having blood tests, the only option you have is to request them from your doctor. Be kind and firm in your request, but be careful not to sound like you're undermining his medical expertise. Just tell him you'd feel a lot more comfortable knowing everything is as it should be.

Regarding the blackheads issue...I too had blackheads. After about 2-3 weeks, they raised out of the skin all on their own. I could take a washcloth or exfoliating sponge and gently wipe (& lightly scrub) them away. For me, most of my blackheads had purged themselves by about week 5.

Good Luck!