Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey ive been on retin a micro .1% for 2 months now and im still in the purging. Its been worse this past week and i cannot use it everyday it was too strong. Ive tried several times even with small amounts ( i always use pea sized amount) and I get sooo red It looks live i have sunburn. its ok if i use it every other day but i still get verry flakey. My question is is the purging stage gonna be twice as long since i use it only every other day?

Hey ive been on retin a micro .1% for 2 months now and im still in the purging. Its been worse this past week and i cannot use it everyday it was too strong. Ive tried several times even with small amounts ( i always use pea sized amount) and I get sooo red It looks live i have sunburn. its ok if i use it every other day but i still get verry flakey. My question is is the purging stage gonna be twice as long since i use it only every other day?

what do you mean by purging?

It's just fine if you only use it every other day. If that's all your skin can take, that's all you should do. In fact, if your skin is red and irritated right now, just STOP with the Retin A until your face looks normal again ... then start up again, applying it every other day. If after a week or two your face is fine, you might try sneaking in 2 nights in a row and see what happens.

Everyone responds differently to retinoids ... the key is to be patient and not stress your skin.

Gentle exfoliation really helps to get rid of the flaky skin and also helps with purging (if your pores are clear at the surface and not blocked with dead skin, the gunk can escape from your pores more easily). I use an extra-soft battery toothbrush. Other people use a moisturizer with alpha hydroxy acids (AHA). You should be using a moisturizer with at least SPF 15 daily ... you might try getting Neutrogena Healthy Skin with SPF. If it feels too greasy on your face, get some of the regular Neutrogena Healthy Skin and mix them together.

Be patient, stick with it ... I purged for several months with Retin A, but I was perfectly clear at the end of 3 months.

I have been purging for a whole four months on the areas where I was apply 0.1% tretinoin every night, and am purging even more on the areas around my mouth where I applied it less frequently. So yes, if you apply it every second night it will take longer to work. Even when you apply it every night you may not see maximum results until 4-6 months.

I have been purging for a whole four months on the areas where I was apply 0.1% tretinoin every night, and am purging even more on the areas around my mouth where I applied it less frequently. So yes, if you apply it every second night it will take longer to work. Even when you apply it every night you may not see maximum results until 4-6 months.

That is so true. When I went on RAM the first time, I used it only every other night and it took twice as long to see results. The next time I used it, I used it every night, even if I was dry, because you bascially have to force your face to get used to it. It sounds harsh, but that was the only way it worked out. As long as you use a gentle non-soap cleanser and MOISTURIZE, MOISTURIZE, MOISTURIZE, you should be fine.

The second time around, I was clear after six weeks of CONTINUOUS use. Every night. Not every other. You kind of have to suck it up and deal with the process your face goes through when the skin is adjusting to it. Eventually, your skin is no longer dry and cracked. It adapts to the medicine.