Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RyanJ21

Ryan's Accutane account

Finally, I am starting on Accutane today. I am ret to go!

This is really more for me to keep track of everything. I have a really awesome, but totally anal derm and she wants reports of what is going on with my skin. I figured I could come here write it down and if this helps someone or somone is able to help me then all the better.

I am 24 year old chick with pretty mild cystic acne. It is crazy persisitent though. I am on 40 mg once a day and totally stoked to get this whole thing started w/ and clear up my acne.

2/27/06

I have taken my first pill and I feel glorious. I am actually kind of looking forward to the drying out. It is so werid to look at the moisturizers and cleaners that I have and they are all for dry skin. Totally weird. Not what I am use to.

I guess that is all for now.

Best of luck Ry, and damn, Anchorman is one funny movie!

Thanks! I am glad you got the line. I figured people would think I am insane. Such a great movie.

Hey! From your 1st post it sounds like you have super-oily skin. If you go back and check out my day 5-ish photos, you can see how unbelievably oily my skin got after starting tane! It was INSANE. I already dripped oil and it just got worse! But about 3 weeks in I got dry skin.. it was such a great feeling. Now I am almost through week 5 and I am starting to really see results. BEST OF LUCK. When I first started, someone on this site gave me some really good advice for a beginning taner - just remember that your skin is going to do some really weird things the next few weeks and months. Keep living your life and remember how temporary this is - you are so on your way to clear skin! Some other advice - Isotretinoin is fat-soluble, so make sure to keep your daily diet high in fat, or it won't absorb into your body too well. (My derm mentioned taking it with food but I actually saw someone post that she took tane 2x - the first time, she ate a lean diet and saw very minimal results, but the second time she took it she made a point of consuming high-fat foods and got clear and stayed clear for 9 years.) Take care of yourself! Take care of your skin! You are going to be putting them both through a lot in the coming months.

Good luck! Keep us updated!

Thanks Brandy!

TennesseeGrl- Thanks for the advice. I guess I can eat fatty foods if I have to ;).

I took my 1st pill yesterday around 5:00 p.m and I woke up this morning and my face felt a little dry. Right around my nose the skin felt a little flaky. I thought it was all in my head. I have read so much about the side effects on Accutane on this board and elsewhere that before I even started the medication my joint were sore. I wanted a second opinion so, I made my Mum feel my face and she said it actually felt a little dry to her- nothing major, but there was a little difference.

I am pretty pumped about the whole thing. Who would have thought on my face day I already feel a difference. Very cool. This medication has turned me into such a stupid happy giggly little girl. I just hope my attitued sticks through this whole thing.

Day 4- pill 3

Nothing new has really happend. The outside of my nose has been dry the last few mornings. I woke up yesterday and didn't noticed that my nose was dry, but by the afternoon I could tell it was. I did wake up at 7:00 A.M., so I probably wouldn't have notice and I was missing a leg. Pretty boring so far.

Good luck Ryan!! I just ended my first week and it has been exciting. Like Tennessee, I was sooooo oily through day 5. All of a sudden today I am dry, really really dry. It's amazing how these pills work.

I wish the best and will be reading you!!

A-

Thanks normangel. I read your log too, since we around the same stage in our accutane. I think you started few days before me.

Day 5

My forehead is starting to get dry now too. My whole face is slowing starting to dry out. I also think I am starting my initial break out. I normally get cystic acne, but now I am starting to get zits that have a heads (?) on them.

My face also feels sunburnt or windburned. I am excited that things are happening. Yeah, I may actually have a clear face. I am so looking forward to being able to wake up and put my hair in a ponytail. Normally wear my hair down to help cover up some of my zits. I am excited that I soon may not have zits to cover up. Sweet!!!

I think I may post pictures. Scary, but I may do it.

Day 8

No major dryness yet. I can feel my nose is getting dry- where my nostrils meet my face it feels dry and wind burned. My lips are becoming too. The Aquaphor is great though.

My nose it pretty much clear of black heads. It is very cool. I use to have a million tiny blackheads and in about a week they are almost gone. I really have to search for them.

On the bad side I am dealing with the intial breakout. Nothing horrible, but definatley worse than it has been in the past. I am not use to the zits with the white junk on them.

So far so good and very happy w/ my progress. Yeah Accutane!

Hey, it looks like we have started Accutane around the same time, I am on day 6 today. I haven't really noticed anything major yet, but I am fully prepared for what is to come. I have enjoyed reading your journal, good luck!

Thanks mac41016. Good luck with the Accutane.

Day 9

I had REALLY dry mouth last night. I drank so much water, but could not seem to quench my thirst. I think I went to the bathroom about 10 times every hour.

I also woke up w/ sore arms/muscles this morning. I intially thought it was from the Accutane, but once I got up moved around and streched I was fine. I have been doing a little more weight training trying to get ready for the summer, but I wouldn't think that was enough to make my arms sore.

My nose is pretty dry inside. I keep waiting for a nose bleed, but none yet.

My intial break out is pretty bad. I took pictures yesterday to be able to track my progress and I was really surprised at how bad it was. I am not use to seeing my face like. There were red spots every where. I normall get cystic acne and they would never really get too red. Oh well I guess that means it is working and I am okay with. Progress, progress, progress.

Doing good! You are experiencing a lot of what I am. I just hate the pimples on top of pimples. I am on day 11 now. I take one pill in a.m. and one pill at p.m. Working out is killing me..lol. So soooore! Keep up the positive attitude...we're gonna need it!! :)

I try to stay postive about the whole thing. My mom is a dr. and she seems to notice the people going into surgery with a postive attitude usually heal quicker and have less pain. The negative people always seem to have problems.

Are you sore through out the day or does it go away at all? My soreness went away pretty quickly, so I wasn't sure if it was Accutane or a kick butt work out.

Day 10

Grossy, grossy nosebleed today. I knew it was going to happen sometime. My nose has been super dry.

I don't think my muscle soreness was due to Accutane. I am sure now it was from working out. Which is good.

My face is drying up a little more. I think my intial break out has stopped-no new zits.

Nothing major to report. Doing good so far.

Day 12

I have had 3 nose bleeds in the past 3 days. That really sucks because it usually happends when I am sleeping, so I have to get up in the middle of the night and change my sheets.

Other than that everything is going well. My hair and skin keep drying out everyday.

Oh, yeah my mouth is really dry too. I drink SO much water.

Good for you for drinking water! I can only drink it when I am at the gym. I think it's gross. How weird am i?! Haha..

Maybe you should try just putting a thick white (so you can bleach it) towel on your pillow before you go to bed. No more sheet changing!

Good luck! Glad to hear your IB has stopped!

Hey how's it going??? No nosebleeds for me yet, but my face is red and bumpy, I can't tell if it's the initial breakout, but my face looks worse then when I started....kinda like a rash!

I hope this goes away soon...well just wanted to stop by and say hello!

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.

Tennessee - That is a really great idea. I had not tought of using the towel. I will have to try that tonight. Thanks!

FireGurl26 - I have been using a saline water solution. I was doing the Vasoline in my nostrils and my mom told me I shouldn't because once the petroleum gets into you system it is virtually impossilbe to get out. It is probably not that big of a deal, but for some reason it kind of freaked me out. Which means I have also stopped using Aquaphor on my lips.

mac41016 - I am glad that you are not getting nosebleeds. They are so not fun. I actually got one while I was typing this. Good luck in your Accutane.

Day 14

Two weeks! Two whole weeks have gone by! YEAH!!! My face feels very tight today. Still such a weird feel. My hair is really dry too. I thought it felt like straw, but my mom said it actually felt pretty soft. I guess I am so use to it being greasy.

I am pretty sure that I am going to slowly die of blood loss from all the freakin nosebleeds. I actually got a nose while I was typing this. I carry Kleenex w/ my everywhere. I have gotten 7 or 8 since Tuesday.

Still drinking copious amounts of water. I drank two gallons yesterday. I can't seem to get enough. I think this could be the worse part, being so thirsty. Other than nosebleeds and being thirsty going good. Lovein' the Accutane.

Going to the park today to run w/ my dog. I am so hoping I don't get any nosebleeds. Cross your fingers everyone.

Hey!

I am similar in age (23) and started accutane about 40 days ago. I just read your log and everything sounds pretty normal. To me, even the nosebleeds since I am having the same fricken problem. My nose bleeds almost everyday. Sometimes I go a few days with out one (it seems to correlate with the weather - if its moist or rainy or if its sunny and dry). I tried using a nose gel stuff but it was really gross and I couldn't tell if it was helping. So now I just deal with it, plus mine aren't gushy, just like I always have blood in my nose. Oh ya, that sounds real appetizing.

Good luck with this crazy drug. If you find a good way to deal with the nosebleeds let me know!

Andrea

Sounds like Accutane is doing it's thing :) It's day 17 for me but no nosebleeds. Good luck to you both Ryan and Andrea

A-

That can't be good that you are getting THAT many nosebleeds! I'd say call the derm in the a.m. and tell them it is that bad. I have also heard that using vaseline in your nose helps, or a saline nose spray.

Let me know how the towel works out for you! I did that when I was using the BP cause I didn't want to stain my sheets.

I agree with norm - sounds like the tane is doing its job. YAY!

Keep it up, sweetie!

Thanks firegurl. My mom is a physician and she checks my cholesterol and blood pressure while I am on the medication. Everything seems to be going well. The nose bleeds just seem to be from a super dry nose.

Day 16

Skin is looking pretty good. My face is clearing up and I don’t have any new acne. I still have red spots from the healing acne, but my skin texture feels nice. My blacks heads are almost gone.

Nothing new to report. I’m still having nosebleeds and dry mouth, but that is about it.

Hooray for clearing up!

I second that!!!

Day 18

Last night I had a cystic zit forming on my forhead. It was fairly big last night and I was a little bummed, but this morning I woke up and it was gone. I am pretty sure I know what the zit was, but I am not sure. It is so crazy that in such a short time a zit can dissapear and not leave a mark.

Face is slowly healing from the intial break out. A few of the zits look like open sores which really sucks. I am not use to that.

I haven't had any nosebleeds in the last few days, which is freakin great. Still dry mouth and my hair is really drying out too. So cool. I had classes all day yesterday and by the time I get home home my hair is normally pretty oily and greasy looky, but yesterday it still looked pretty good. Yeah!!!

Open sores DO happen more often on tane. Don't know why... they are unattractive but they go away pretty quickly. Just don't be tempted to pick!!

Yay for no nosebleeds! :)